On/Off Switch

9 posts
by Phixxy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 am
Would it be possible to open up a micro-usb cable and add an on/off switch on the 5volt line? I have only soldered once in my life and it was about 2 years ago. I was hoping this would be a do-able project.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Physical_appearance
According to wikipedia, It should be a red cable.
by joan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:26 am
Get a switch with screw terminals and you won't need to solder.
by recantha » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:48 am
Joan, can you explain a bit more? Not sure what you mean
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.
by Phixxy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:08 pm
I already have a switch that I'd really like to use. I'm sure soldering one wire wont be too bad. So this will work for sure? If I accidentally cut the other wires are they necessary for powering the pi?
by Joefish » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:27 pm
It would be easier to take a phone charger, like the one RS supplies, which only has two wires in the cable, and one of those is marked, so you can easily check you've reconnected the right one. Personally I'll probably use a 2-pole switch when I do mine, to be sure, to be sure.
by joan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:57 pm
recantha wrote:Joan, can you explain a bit more? Not sure what you mean

Nothing sinister. A lot of switches have screw connections to hold the wires in place. No soldering required.

You'll need the ground wire as well as the 5V wire to form a circuit. i.e.

PSU 5V -------------------------------------- Switch -------------------------- Raspberry
PSU GND ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pi
by Phixxy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:37 pm
joan wrote:
recantha wrote:Joan, can you explain a bit more? Not sure what you mean

Nothing sinister. A lot of switches have screw connections to hold the wires in place. No soldering required.

You'll need the ground wire as well as the 5V wire to form a circuit. i.e.

PSU 5V -------------------------------------- Switch -------------------------- Raspberry
PSU GND ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pi

Thanks a TON for this. When my switch and solder arrives I'll post my results.
by carl_retrotext » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:34 pm
Hi, I used a phone charger on my PI in my project, I found that white was +ive [ please check youself!]
It certainly feels better to have a real switch to the Pi.

I would consider extending the wire while you are at it, as adding a switch will restrict the reach of the lead, or you may discover that the switch is always just off the desk of something like that.

I also added a plug and socket.

by Phixxy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:59 pm
great to know that it works. I'm going to be putting my Pi in an NES Case, using the NES power switch. =) I'm waiting for a few things in the mail and then ill post my results also.