The projects list. Look here for some ideas.

204 posts   Page 7 of 9   1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
by ComputerXplorer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:29 am
bmearns wrote:Raspberry Pi as wireless router. Should be relatively simple: connect a wireless access point and optionally an ethernet hub (then I guess the AP would have to connect to the hub, not directory the r-pi), then do whatever iptables magic is necessary to act as a router (typical unix stuff).

I think some of the benefits over an off-the-shelf router would be:
  • More fun
  • More flexibility and control.
  • Lots more storage for logging.
  • Maybe a little cheaper, as least compared to anything with remotely as much capability.

Downsides:
  • Might actually be more expensive, especially for simple routers.
  • More work.
  • More to go wrong/more maintenance.
  • Probably runs a little hotter than typical routers.
  • Might consume slightly more power.

I thought exactly of the same idea!!! :lol:
by moo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:56 pm
A real, chess-playing Mechanical Turk! :D
by dan3008 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am
I've been reading in magpi about making and using accelerometers with the pi.

I was thinking, how cool it would be to make a unit that used a number of accelerometers to pick up a persons movement, and then move a 3D model on a networked pc

what do you guys think?
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice
by billb » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 pm
A couple of ideas I've had:

* Setting it up with a frontend for as many emulators as I can get running (something like what I've done on the old OtherOS / PS3 Linux as shown here) ... not very creative but I love playing with emulators ;)

* Turning Rock Band and/or Guitar Hero drumsets into stand-alone electronic drumsets ... already have several of these sitting around the house doing a fine job as dust-collectors
by 121343pi » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:19 pm
My projects are:

1)Use my Pi to be used as a wireless/Bluetooth music player that could pipe music around several rooms.

2)To use it as an Atari 2600 emulator and mirror it to my home cinema.
It could be used as a two-player split-screen thing.

3)To use as a car with a camera/thermal imaging camera that could record/show it on a screen.
by alexf » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:51 pm
Mini project I've been playing with:

I often fall asleep whilst putting my daughter to bed, I find this annoying so I created a dead man's handle.

My pi serves a couple of simple webpages, page1 has a start button which takes you to page2. page2 has a large restart button and 3 small OK buttons. The restart button refreshes the page. If I press the OK buttons in order left to right I get taken back to page1. Every time page2 is loaded (or refreshed) it writes the time to a file. When page1 is loaded it writes 0 to the file. I then have a cron job that checks the time in the file and if is it not zero and more than a minute ago it plays a noise.

The idea behind this being that while I am putting my daughter to bed I load the pages on my phone, hit the start button then tap the restart button periodically while I'm up there with her. If I fall asleep I will stop tapping the restart button and the sound will go off downstairs at which point my wife can come up and wake me up - no more precious evenings wasted.

The reason for the 3 OK buttons is that I don't want to accidentally cancel the timer by mashing the wrong part of my phone's screen. This is easy as I usually will have my phone out of sight so I made it hard (ish) to do. Also, everything is in black and grey to cut down on extra light in the room.

There are almost certainly easier ways to achieve the same thing but it works with just a few small irritations that I haven't quite worked out yet.
by Ranga » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:41 pm
Two projects I'm thinking about:
[1] wireless media streaming
[2] GPS tracker
I see a few suggestions already on this thread.

Some specifics for [1]
* One RPi device in each 'room' / location. To receive media stream and play on the speakers connected. Wifi ?
* How to 'send / stream' media? Perhaps need to connect one RPi to PC, and PC needs to recognize that as a 'audio device'. Someone please clarify.
* Some buffering needed, due to wireless streaming.
* Further, can it send different streams to different RPi's ? That would be really nice !
* Do we need a Wifi router for such a task? Per my basic understanding, 802.11ac doesn't need one. But will that work with >2 devices ?
* How to avoid some 'outsider' from eavesdropping my streams? Will Wifi auth suffice? Or do we need to encrypt our streams?

For [2] GPS Tracker.
* This might be a simple one. Connect RPi to GPS receiver. Get location,speed etc from GPS and store in SD card.
* Can RPI 'convert on the fly' to some Google-Maps / KML formats ?
* Finally, get the GPS log and overlay on map, to see data (speed, stops, slow-traffic, etc)
* Ultimately, an application like 'Waze' can be built. All such RPi's communication amongst themselves to share traffic info.
by sdd » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:59 pm
progect one: kinect minecraft. using the xbox kinect as input for minecraft pi edition? PURE AWSOME!

second progect: indie/old game center! imagine if someone got WINE working! Comand and Conquer lan party! :D
by usul27 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:56 am
I use the Raspberry Pi to broadcast audio over ethernet:
http://www.crazy-audio.com/projects/ras ... tribution/
by Liuqahs15 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:32 pm
I'd like to set up an in-car computer for my mom, with a screen on the dashboard and a simple program that she can go into which would show a full HD video feed of the rearview at any point.
by advanced » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:17 pm
A web kiosk : http://pikiosk.tumblr.com/post/38571941719/pikiosk-open-source-web-kiosk

:)

10” Touchscreen
Receipt printer
3G antenna
RFID reader
Easy to build
by sharN » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:47 am
I am doing a project in Image processing ie a Path follower Robot using image Processing. Can Raspi be useful to me?
by titojankowski » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:48 pm
Wow I really like the idea of modifying a blood glucose meter!
by bbence » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 pm
RaspBEARry cuddly toy? :)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37

Some ideas that came to my mind that would be quite easy to implement:
- cuddly bear with a raspberry inside, linked up to the internet via wifi, making it possible to have live contact with the bear
- add a webcam that would double as a baby cam (with live feed to the internet)
- add a small projector (those pico projectors might be possible to integrate) or a small lcd monitor in the bear's belly to make it possible to play animations, cartoons, or even to have video chat of some sort with the kid
- adding some servos to the teddy's body would make the toy even more interactive, like a mouth movement, head movement, arm movement, etc.
- adding some things like RFID reader would make the bear more aware of it's sourrundings (provided tags are placed in its environment, in the home for example)
- since the bear would have connectivity to a more powerful machine, even maybe a cloud of machines, it would be more easy to implement voice recognition or even convincing voice synthesis
- using the above conditions, I could imagine some kind of service which would be provided (maybe by parents, or grandparents :)) where the bear could have a lowtech "artifical intelligence", so if the child says or asks something, the responses would be coming from a real person, maybe directly, or through some kind of voice synthesis
- if the bear would have BT connectivity, some mobile or tablet apps could provide some support, eg. the bear would be aware what the kid is playing, about her progress, and could be assisting the kid while she is playing
- parents could pre-record tales and other educative content which could be played back via the cuddly toy
by JohnnyB » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:04 am
Who likes cheese? Who likes goat cheese? Well, goat cheese is not so hard to make, but it requires a lot of time.

The thing that takes so much time is waiting for the pasteurizer to finish preparing the milk for cheesemaking. My parents run a goat cheese dairy, and they've been making cheese for 25 years. If the Raspberry Pi could be linked with temperature sensors to send an alarm to the cheesemaker, then he or she could spend time elsewhere on the farm, instead of waiting and checking on the heat to reach a certain temperature.

And this problem is not limited to just my family: The best tasting cheeses (from cow or goat) come from small dairy farms, whose milk is fresher and richer in flavor than big dairies, or homogenized milk. Small dairy farms are flourishing (e.g., http://www.southerncheese.com/index.html) , thanks to farmers markets and smart foodies. But even more people could get into the business with some inexpensive controls, such as R-Pi offers. So whatever effort is made, it oughtta be open source to allow more small dairies to benefit.

The BrewPi project aims in a similar direction. http://brewpi.com/ However, that project is more ambitious, and seeks to control the whole fermentation and beer making process. Most cheesemakers I know probably won't want to try to automate the whole process. But it would be a big help to receive a text message on their phone (or an email), when the temp sensor hits it's mark.

Anyone up for the challenge? Drop me a line! I've got no electronics skills, but I'll do what I can to help (including possibly buying parts)!
by JohnnyB » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:52 am
jwedding wrote:I'm attempting to build a transmittal system for my daughter's blood glucose meter. It has a USB output that connects to a Windows-only application currently. There are devices like this on the market currently, but they typically run in the hundreds of dollars, making them out of reach for many diabetics.

My plan is to have a battery operated, switched device that is waiting for the USB input, sniffs the last data point in the meters storage (i.e. the most recent blood sugar reading,) and then sends that out via e-mail to my cell phone on the next open wi-fi network it finds. If I could find a way to send via SMS directly, I would, but my plan right now is to hook up an old jailbroken iPhone to act as a hotspot for the Pi.

If anyone has any links that would help in a)monitoring the USB port for a hookup, b)sniffing the USB datastream, c)scripting an automated mail, I would truly appreciate it!

I love this idea! My wife is a Type 1 diabetic. Fortunately, her pump, blood sugar checker, and real-time Constant Glucose Monitoring are all covered under insurance. But you are quite right that your concept will be very helpful to many many people. Hope it works out!
by cyrano » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:08 pm
David Hunt has a novel solution for macro photography. He doesn't use a camera, but a flatbed scanner and displaces the image sensor to take a number of pics. Afterwards, these pics get stitched together in software to augment depth of field:

http://davidhunt.ie/?p=2826
by rasprm3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:38 am
Raspberry Pi as a wake-on-lan source.

Power up a computer from full shutdown with more timing options than a typical BIOS has. (My BIOS only actually lets me set one date/time per YEAR which is stupid.)

I'm going to use it to have my computer on and waiting for me for times when I typically use it. It could be used to keep a computer powered on to avoid power settings for some reason.

More of an alarm clock here. Not Raspberry Pi as a wake-on-lan path around a router. Doesn't even need to be connected to the internet.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=30393
by raven1962 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:59 am
Still digging for how-to, but I have a somewhat dead laptop (older HP/Compaq Presario 2100)... Peripherals seem to work, but fried motherboard (will boot to a certain point and stop). Plan is to gut it , make it into a laptop. I've seen several similar projects, so it wouldn't hurt to try.
by dnight » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:52 pm
I'm working on using a raspberry pi as a picture frame. This has been done before, but there are a couple upgrades.

1. Facebook updates for my parents. Using Facebook's API, I can pull pictures down from a particular folder on my facebook page. This will allow my parents to see my picture updates on facebook without having to sit in front of a computer.
2. Wifi access
3. Autoboot into slideshow.
4. Motion sensing. No need to have the slideshow running 24/7 when the are only in the room for an hour.

Still in the planning phase of everything but wanted to share in case anyone wants to contribute to the project. If so, please message me.

dnight
by Iwonder » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:23 pm
@ isketerol,

how did you setup ESXI on your Pi?
Could you pls describe the steps you have taken, and any gotchas?
I would like to run ESXi 5.1 on my Pi "B"
Thanks.
by spyro » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:17 am
Maybe possibly a "smart" home. A RPi for each room with particular commands for that room. Maybe some kind of touchscreen as well. All of these would have to communicate somehow. For example, saying "coffee" in the bedroom, would send a command from the RPi in the bedroom to the RPi in the kitchen which would then send a signal to the coffee maker. Could it work?
by ReBoot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:49 pm
1. The RPi as a zero-interaction weather forecast, catch the forecast from some web API, parse it and make it look nice on an attached screen (in fact, I've version 1.0 of that available).
2. The RPi as a Controller for a LED cube to make it play the game of life on the sides of the cube.
3. The RPi as a real life game console. Controlling two servos with a laser pointer attached (switched by the RPi too) with a Gamepad attached to the RPi. Hang all this on the ceiling, add 3 cats and enjoy guaranteed fun!
by anddav87 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm
JohnnyB wrote:Who likes cheese? Who likes goat cheese? Well, goat cheese is not so hard to make, but it requires a lot of time.

The thing that takes so much time is waiting for the pasteurizer to finish preparing the milk for cheesemaking. My parents run a goat cheese dairy, and they've been making cheese for 25 years. If the Raspberry Pi could be linked with temperature sensors to send an alarm to the cheesemaker, then he or she could spend time elsewhere on the farm, instead of waiting and checking on the heat to reach a certain temperature.

And this problem is not limited to just my family: The best tasting cheeses (from cow or goat) come from small dairy farms, whose milk is fresher and richer in flavor than big dairies, or homogenized milk. Small dairy farms are flourishing (e.g., http://www.southerncheese.com/index.html) , thanks to farmers markets and smart foodies. But even more people could get into the business with some inexpensive controls, such as R-Pi offers. So whatever effort is made, it oughtta be open source to allow more small dairies to benefit.

The BrewPi project aims in a similar direction. http://brewpi.com/ However, that project is more ambitious, and seeks to control the whole fermentation and beer making process. Most cheesemakers I know probably won't want to try to automate the whole process. But it would be a big help to receive a text message on their phone (or an email), when the temp sensor hits it's mark.

Anyone up for the challenge? Drop me a line! I've got no electronics skills, but I'll do what I can to help (including possibly buying parts)!

Hi Johnny

I have already written something that I think could work for you, check out the code and wiring diagram here: https://github.com/anddav87/SendTempWarn

Thanks

Andy
by usualpanic » Thu May 16, 2013 1:46 am
Raspberry Pi Internet Radio

An Internet radio with LCD display, push button control, a menu system and loadable playlist. You'll find a video and complete source code at http://usualpanic.com/2013/05/raspberry-pi-internet-radio/