Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

537 posts   Page 7 of 22   1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22
by trazer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:52 pm
Is there any hope of being able to serve photos that are stored locally on the device? Pro sounds interesting to us as I do have a ton of locations that I could possibly find a use for this at, but many, many of them are running on wireless data cards with limited bandwidth. Say 5gb a month, and the connection is already streaming security cameras so there is not much overhead to serve photos constantly.

That is really my only issue, it is much cheaper to get a 16gb or 8gb card and store them there and use no data.

I had an overage on one property of almost $3,000 a month ago so the data use can add up quite quickly!
by Axel-b2 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:00 pm
trazer wrote:Is there any hope of being able to serve photos that are stored locally on the device?

I don't know whether there is any particular (technical or non-technical) reason why this is not possible now.
Out of curiosity, I tried to enable what I think that you want, which took me, I don't know, about three quarters of an hour or so.
Unless there are good reasons for the current limitation, I'll clean up the change and push the it to a new branch in my screenly fork at github.

sidenote: in one of my other branches there (*) I experimented with a kind of fade-out, fade-in effect as transition between items that are shown. The fading is still a bit experimental, so far it seems to work kind of o.k. When a video is started, there are a couple of seconds of black--that is not very nice

*: browser-fader, or browser-fader-auth-with-submodule
Axel.
by Axel-b2 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:09 pm
Axel-b2 wrote:
trazer wrote:Is there any hope of being able to serve photos that are stored locally on the device?

I tried to enable what I think that you want [snip] I'll clean up the change and push the it to a new branch in my screenly fork at github.

https://github.com/axel-b/screenly-ose/ ... cal-assets
by fleros » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:58 pm
Hey!

Works great!
Just wanna know if there is a possibility to save login information for a asset.
(im using Centreon maps to show on a TV but need to login)
by vpetersson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:02 pm
fleros wrote:Hey!

Works great!
Just wanna know if there is a possibility to save login information for a asset.

Feel free to post that up as a feature request on Github, as it seems like a reasonable feature.
Creator of Screenly (ScreenlyApp.com), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
by vpetersson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:04 pm
trazer wrote:Is there any hope of being able to serve photos that are stored locally on the device? Pro sounds interesting to us as I do have a ton of locations that I could possibly find a use for this at, but many, many of them are running on wireless data cards with limited bandwidth. Say 5gb a month, and the connection is already streaming security cameras so there is not much overhead to serve photos constantly.

That is really my only issue, it is much cheaper to get a 16gb or 8gb card and store them there and use no data.

Yep, Screenly Pro does support this today. In fact, the test-deployment we have of Screenly Pro is using that exact setup. All nodes are behind 3G routers, with a limited bandwidth quota. To get around that, local caching is heavily utilized.
Creator of Screenly (ScreenlyApp.com), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
by fleros » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:34 am
vpetersson wrote:
fleros wrote:Hey!

Works great!

Feel free to post that up as a feature request on Github, as it seems like a reasonable feature.

Ok, I just added it as an issue on Github, im fairly new to this so dont blame me if I didnt put it in the right place. And to be even more cheeky I also added an issue for UNC paths. Thanks for the reply so far.
by Gold_Ninja » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:10 am
I have the new 512MB Raspberry Pi. Which is more important for Screenly? RAM or Video Memory? What split ratio do you suggest?
by vpetersson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:45 pm
Gold_Ninja wrote:I have the new 512MB Raspberry Pi. Which is more important for Screenly? RAM or Video Memory? What split ratio do you suggest?

I just got a few 512MB ones the other day, but haven't found the time to play with them yet. It shouldn't have any negative aspect at all, only benefits.

Also, I'd try a 50% split ratio for the 512MB version, but that's just a guess. Will give you a better estimate once I've tried it for myself.
by Gold_Ninja » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:39 pm
Thanks, There's no hurry on that one as the RPi doesn't even recognise the extra memory yet (unless you're willing to mess around manually updating it)

Might it be possible to submit assets by their folder rather than one at a time? I'm imagining a folder containing sequentially named images which would play in order. Perhaps it's something for the pro version?
How about a shuffle option?
Also any idea on price for Pro? Are we talking $$s or $$$s?
by trazer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:32 pm
Thanks Axel, I appreciate the work and I have your fork installed and working now. I need to do a little work to get my photos somewhere online, so I can turn around and redownload them lol.

So far working well, and I have a kiosk and screen ready to go. I need to get a case for my Pi and then I can start using this thing.

Now that this is up, is it possible to easily change the port it's running on? I'm still new to linux so I'm learning as I go, I was able to set my IP and other items ok and I remmebered to change my resolution too. I can work around the port here, but we use 8080 already at remote locations so I'd have to change it.
by Axel-b2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:31 pm
trazer wrote:Now that this is up, is it possible to easily change the port it's running on? I'm still new to linux so I'm learning as I go, I was able to set my IP and other items ok and I remmebered to change my resolution too. I can work around the port here, but we use 8080 already at remote locations so I'd have to change it.

Currently, the port number 8080 is literally present in server.py and viewer.py.
The not-so-nice way to change it, is by changing all occurences of 8080 in these files
into the number that you want.

I guess the port number to use should be a configuration item; I tried to do this on branch config-port in my fork on github.
by vpetersson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:32 pm
Gold_Ninja wrote:How about a shuffle option?

That's already possible. Just change "shuffle_playlist" from False to True in ~/.screenly/screenly.conf

Gold_Ninja wrote:Also any idea on price for Pro? Are we talking $$s or $$$s?

The price isn't set yet, but it will be a small monthly fee per node.
by vpetersson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 pm
Axel-b2 wrote:Currently, the port number 8080 is literally present in server.py and viewer.py.
The not-so-nice way to change it, is by changing all occurences of 8080 in these files
into the number that you want.

Like Axel said, the port-number is hard-coded in the server. I didn't really see any reason to make that a setting, since Screenly was designed to run on a dedicated Raspberry Pi.

While it's certainly possible to make it a setting, it must be a port between 1024 and 65535, since ports <1024 require root access, and Screenly's server is running as the user 'pi'.
by trazer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:51 pm
A setting would be helpful as 8080 is used so commonly by many. In my case at my remote locations I have 80 used, 8080 used, and at least 11 other ports I know of offhand open and used. My sites are fully remote operated so I have to have ports open and pointing to the correct IP, setting up routers would truly be horrible without exporting and importing of configuration files lol!

For the single unit I have now I'm operating it locally so no big deal at all as it stands now for that one.
by vpetersson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:02 pm
trazer wrote:A setting would be helpful as 8080 is used so commonly by many. In my case at my remote locations I have 80 used, 8080 used, and at least 11 other ports I know of offhand open and used. My sites are fully remote operated so I have to have ports open and pointing to the correct IP, setting up routers would truly be horrible without exporting and importing of configuration files lol!

For the single unit I have now I'm operating it locally so no big deal at all as it stands now for that one.

I'm not sure I understand. Ok, so you have other devices on the network running on port 8080, but not *on* the Raspberry Pi I presume.

If you want to access it remotely, just forward a random port and have it point to the Raspberry Pi and port 8080. You don't need to have 8080 being the external port just because Screenly is running on that port.

That said, I'd avoid having Screenly's web interface exposed publicly. Instead, use an SSH tunnel or something to remote access Screenly.
by Axel-b2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:14 pm
vpetersson wrote:That said, I'd avoid having Screenly's web interface exposed publicly. Instead, use an SSH tunnel or something to remote access Screenly.

Because I want to (be able to) administer a single Screenly instance with a group of colleagues, and make this as easy as possible for them, the SSH tunnel approach was not an option for me.

Instead, I extended the user-name password based login mechanism that I added earlier to Screenly with support for https, to protect the login credentials, and then added support for ldap so people can use their usual credentials. The result seems to be working.

The https support is visible in branch https-auth-with-submodule of my screenly fork at github; I will push a separate branch for the ldap support, once I have found time to clean it up a bit---this mostly involves deciding on how the ldap-related things have to be configured.

Axel.
by cyanarnofsky » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:26 pm
Anyway to set the refresh on the playlist? I have a short slideshow that I wanted to loop but it blinks all elements off the page for a bit after each 5 cycle. I would rather it just look for content only on a reboot. Possible? Thanks!
by Axel-b2 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:20 pm
@cyanarnofsky:
Is you version of Screenly up-to-date?
The commit history can be seen here on github.
(at october 13, vpetersson merged some of my changes, which affected the main viewing loop and recomputation of the playlist.)

If shuffle is enabled, Screenly will after each 5 cycles recompute (reshuffle) the playlist. Do you have shuffle enabled?

Axel.
by nutt318 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 pm
Just installed Screenly and after the reboot I'm getting a black screen. I ssh back into the RPi and know i have access but when I point my browser to the RPi's IP nothing happens, page cannot be displayed.

Any ideas on if I did something wrong or what I can do to get it working?

Thanks!
by charly130.mk2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:15 am
Axel-b2 wrote:Instead, I extended the user-name password based login mechanism that I added earlier to Screenly with support for https, to protect the login credentials

On a scale of 1-10, how secure would you say this approach is? Have you also jailed the installation, so that if it is compromised the attacker cannot get access to the entire filesystem?
by ms4lim » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 am
Hi,
Fisrt of all thanks for your efforts.

I do not have a network/internet connection where i would like to deploy my digital screen.
Once i setup screenly I would not need to update the contents.
I have taken the below steps

1. installed screenly ------- no problem
2. installed an apache2 server ------- no problem
3. hosted the files locally (very basic HTML webpage) -------- no problem
at this point screenly displays the assets --- no problem
issues occurs when i disconnect the Pi from the network. below error is displayed
"unable to resolve management IP"
I know you have advised not to host files locally but its a very basic html file. which tested and ran for days without issues.
please can you advise me how set screenly up without network/internet connection.

thanks in advance
by Axel-b2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:46 pm
@charly130.mk2:

I hope it is safe enough for our use.
I did not jail the installation. I guess I could run the server under a new user(id) that can only write the database file and logging files, but has no other privileges, if that is what you mean.

Axel.
by charly130.mk2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:57 am
Axel-b2 wrote:I did not jail the installation. I guess I could run the server under a new user(id) that can only write the database file and logging files, but has no other privileges, if that is what you mean.

A jailed installation is basically one that runs in a chrooted environment. Therefore, it can only access what it needs in order to run (though all the stuff needs to be copied across into the jail, but it has no 'sense' that there is another filesystem beyond what it can see inside the jail. Thus, even if it is compromised, the 'real' filesystem is not compromised. But it can get VERY complicated...

Actually, your suid solution also offers a reasonable amount of additional security. I might go down that route...
by ianh100 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:47 pm
Hi, I installed Screenly but X Windows no longer loads. I have this build running some monitoring for another application which is alos now playing up. What is the easiest way to remove wht the screenly install script did? I think I need to play with this on another board first.

Thanks