Incredible PBX 3.5 for 256MB and 512MB Raspberry Pi

15 posts
by NerdUno » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:23 pm
Just in time for AstriCon, we're pleased to announce the release of Incredible PBX 3.5 featuring Asterisk, FreePBX, and free Google Voice calling in the U.S. and Canada.

This release includes the latest kernel and firmware supporting automatic memory allocation and management for 256MB and 512MB Raspberry Pi devices. There's also a new update-my-pi app to keep your server current with the latest patches and updates.

Read all about it :arrow: here.
by wayner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:43 am
It looks like you have to sign up for Google Voice to use this - it looks like Google Voice is restricted to US IP addresses and you need a US phone num to validate. Is that still the case? If so how would you use Incredible PBX without Google Voice?

edit - Please note that I live in Canada.
by NerdUno » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:54 pm
Google Voice is completely optional. It just happens to be free for folks in the U.S. You can use one or many SIP or IAX providers worldwide. There's a list of our Top 20 VoIP Providers in this article. Just scroll down to the Choosing VoIP Providers section.
by poing » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:10 pm
I read your article a while ago but for someone who is not familiar with the term 'PBX' it's hard to grasp what your distribution actually does :lol:

OK, I found out myself (more or less), it's just that maybe a newbie introduction to the basic possibilities of the distro and the plethora of abbreviations used in the article would help reduce the dizziness of the innocent Pi user that happens to wander into Incredible PBX ;)
by lynxcom1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:46 am
Hello;
As to Google Voice.. I have tried unsuccessfully to set up google voice on several occasions and simply because my ip address is in Canada It (GV) will always be just out of reach. There are no plans for google to expand its free service to Canada but I am hoping that in the near future they will let us join for a nominal fee. It would have to be less than $30 ti keep in line with Skype.
by NerdUno » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:43 pm
poing: A PBX may not be a good fit for you. In addition to millions of articles, there are thousands of books on what a PBX can do. Couldn't begin to cover it here.

lynxcom1: You can find some tips for using Google Voice from outside the U.S. in the Configuring Google Voice section of this Nerd Vittles article.
by mathewjenkinson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 pm
Hi Ward,

Ive been able to download and install PBX for raspb Pi - and got 2 SIP extensions setup.
Ive followed the instructions to setup GV and its loaded into the PI but the calls I make going out seem to just ring off the hook - Ie if I call my cell the SIP phone connecting via google rings but the cell phone doesn't. - its definately getting through to google as when I login to the google voice account page I can see the call in history.

Secondly, the GV doesn't show up as a trunk in free PBX system status, have I missed a step somewhere? - where do you suggest I start to fault find?

Thanks!
Mathew
by NerdUno » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 pm
Please head over to the PIAF Forum. We have over 100 Asterisk experts who stand ready to help you find the problem.
by NerdUno » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:57 am
For those running Incredible PBX, there have been some security fixes released. Be sure you're running Incredible PBX 3.5. Before rebooting, log in as root and issue the following command: /root/update-my-pi.
by NerdUno » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:31 pm
For any brave souls with a 512MB Raspberry Pi, the Incredible PBX 3.6 release is ready for some testing. In addition to the 3.5 feature set, it includes a turnkey fax solution. You can use a dedicated Google Voice trunk or a dedicated SIP trunk from any VoIP provider that supports faxing over SIP. Incoming faxes are delivered as PDF documents to an email address of your choosing. Outbound faxes can be generated using any HylaFax print-to-fax client. Here's a link with download and installation instructions.
by smorgo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:11 pm
I'm running Incredible PBX 3.6 on a 256MB while I await the arrival of the 512MB version.

I have to say, it's quite brilliant. I'd been struggling to find a real practical use for my Pi's; now I have a comprehensively featured PBX, integrated with my analogue as well as VOIP services. Thanks to some careful scripting, the numerous pesky sales/scam/survey calls I used to get every day have vanished.

Took me three days to get my head around it, but I'm a seriously happy bunny, now :)
by evilvoice » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:31 am
Is there a way to use incredible pbx for the pi without using the disk image? I already have my pi set up the way I want and would like to add pbx to it. If not, what base is it using? What packages are installed by default?
by mb02155 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:40 pm
I am running Incredible PBX on my Pi and it is working well. I have a few questions relating to it:

1) Using windows how do I make a backup of the entire SD card that is running Incredible PBX? I have tried win32diskimager, but it only backs up the 1st partion.

2) I would like to be able to call a 'custom destination' and have the text to speak engine tell me the status of a GPIO pin. How would I go about do this?

3) How would I setup an IVR that would allow me to turn on/off a gpio pin?

Thank you!!
by weeple2000 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:00 am
I have a pi that I have been running off of 2 old 2 gig sd cards. It seems I need a 4 gig card in order to use incredible pbx. Before buying it, I have a question. I have a landline phone with 2 headsets. They aren't presently being used as landline phones right now, but as bluetooth headsets for cell phones.

Instead of pairing the headsets with cell phones, can I pair it with a bluetooth adapter and incredible pbx? My intention would be to use google voice instead of the cell phone.

Will I need to buy a 4 gig or larger sd card for this?
by danb35 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:08 pm
I'm far from an expert with IncrediblePBX on the Pi, but I've been playing with it a little bit. I think you will need a 4 GB card for the image; I'm pretty sure 2 GB will be too small.

As for using your existing phone, I don't think you'll be able to directly bluetooth-link it to the Pi. However, you could get a SIP ATA like the Obi100 (http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone- ... rds=obi100) for about $40, and use that to link your landline phone to the Pi. Of course, you could use the Obi100 to link your landline directly to Google Voice, but if you link it to the Pi you'd get the PBX features.