The projects list. Look here for some ideas.

204 posts   Page 6 of 9   1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
by AManCalledBob » Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 pm
I have 3 main projects in mind;
  1. Teach my son to program a little bit; to show him the joy I discovered 32 years ago. This in itself will be a number of sub projects as I find interesting things for him to do.
  2. Use the RPi to interface and control his Hornby DCC trains. This one is going to be a bit of a stretch as there is both power, interfacing in addition to timing control.
  3. Link it up to an IR transmitter for controlling a mini helicopter. I hope this will be an easier version of the one above. Linking up an IR transmitter and sending the control signals should be an easier start. This will get around the problem I have with the existing remote that I can’t get the sodding thing to hover nicely.

Bob
---
Bob
by michaelxavier » Sun May 13, 2012 5:53 pm
I just got my Pi and set it up as an automatic torrent box. I've got a nice big 64GB SD card in it (though I may hook it up to my 1tb hard drive if the need arises). I've installed Arch Linux on the Pi and assigned the max amount of memory to the system with no graphic interface. Everything is done over ssh. I've got an inotify script running on my machine that waits for torrents to get dropped into a directory, which then syncs them over to the Pi. I've to rtorrent monitoring the directory on the Pi and it will auto-download to the appropriate directory and start seeding. Lastly, I've got the directories it downloads to set up on an SMB share so my Boxee Box on my TV will automatically index them and make them available for play. :mrgreen:

Provided the Pi's resources allow it, I'm also working on a Rails app called Blackbeard that will hopefully take care of queueing and subscribing to series' torrents through a nice web UI.

Obviously I'm only using this for educational purposes and only to download media whose licenses permit their free distribution via bittorrent.
by ShaneK » Mon May 14, 2012 5:07 pm
A few projects have sprung to mind. I haven't given them much technical thought though but here goes nonetheless:

- Make use of the LCD panel pins and make an old school handheld, for playing old Gameboy ROMs etc.

- Install it in an old console chassis, rig up some wireless USB controllers and have some retro gaming fun!

- Attach a USB hard drive and have a low-power home server. Possibly (definitely) used for Minecraft :D
by proffalken » Tue May 22, 2012 10:31 am
Model Railway control :D

Arduino to "sense" and "drive" the locos, R-pi to deal with timetables and collision avoidance etc.
by Stalthy » Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 pm
May i add an Idea?

What if you made some kind of super retro pc, this by using Rpi and consoles to put in a box. This way you can have xbox, ps1/2, wii (which can emulate maaaany systems) and an comuputer. Then you have the nearly perfect lan box. (Pherhaps replace the rpi with a normal computer, not quite sure)

Well anyways here is some pics of my sketches ;)

(Sorry that some text is in Norwegian, and not sure how good you can see it, altso it prolly in wrong scale, also never mind the box at the side)

The fourth (4) image is the best

by seanspotatobusiness » Tue May 22, 2012 11:22 pm
I want to use the RPi as a thin client in my kitchen so I can access recipes and entertainment.

Does anyone know whether this is trivial? http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1222 Is XenDesktop free for personal use? The Citrix website doesn't even sell directly to users. Are there alternatives?
by petewaddy_pi » Tue May 29, 2012 7:51 am
Apart from wanting to build a version of the yellow drum machine robot, I would look to build a programmable journey recorder that takes geotagged stills using either a usb webcam (or the camera module when it arrives) and a GPS module.

This was influenced by journeys up to the Scottish Highlands, which have fantastic scenery, but not wanting to keep stopping to take photos.

So you programme the system to take pictures at either fixed intervals or distances and use the GPS to write time/location data into the photo file
by xboxor » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:49 am
I'm loving the Packet Radio Device = Like text messaging to Hams.

Too funny. I am one of them and I am going to use this as my APRS transceiver in my car using Xastir under Arch. I will feed the video to my radio's screen.
by MoleMan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:58 pm
Not sure if this is feasible, but due to the power of the Pi's GPU, would the raspberry pi be able to be used to audit the strength of passwords?

I've been testing it with a tool called Pyrit, but the benchmarks are very poor.
by stuartheath » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:59 pm
im hoping to fly man into space again with my raspberry pi :D
by somezachguy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:17 pm
this thread's awesome, love the RPi+phone+battery+helicopter thing=helicopter thing that can be controlled from anywhere. hopefully there won't be any dead zones around my area for the phone. needs some solar panels and a camera for the higher levels of fun ;)

but what i truly want is to make a pack of rats per se. the brain/server will be a RPi with a a few 2-4+ workers, using some inexpensive micro controller. the brain will be hooked up to a wireless network with nodes around the house to extend the range. i would have them build a small home in my backyard, build a solar farm on the roof, become somewhat self sustaining then start digging into the earth for hidden fun stuff. i'll have my own dwarf fortress!
i only fear the water level(on the coast), cost, and the amount of code it'll need.. but it'll pay off once i start the craft industries and when i take over some land :twisted:
by mahjongg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:38 pm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by AManCalledBob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:44 pm
My 1st project has actually turned out to use the RPi to interface with my energy meter, dump the data into a mySQL database, and serve it up on a web-page as a graph. This is all running on the RPi itself. It has actually turned out to be a rather fun experiment in bolting items together, and adding some python and php code to get it all to work.
Phase two is to make it a little more reslient, optimise the data, and to learn how to correclty lock down the LAMP stack, so it is safe for me to have the webpage available for me to view from outside the home network.

--
Bob
---
Bob
by JeffreySun » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:28 am
I plan to use it as the intelligent gateway of my on-going Arduino-based smart house system.
So far, I have implement two features for the smart house system

1. Collect the humidity and temperature from the sensor and upload the data to https://cosm.com/.
2. Host a simple web server. It provides a web page to show a TV controller. I can access the web page from my mac. When I click one button, the server responses the client request, and translate the request to IR signals to control my TV.

This is a distribute system, several arduino boards are used. There is a XBee module stacked on each Arduino board to implement the wireless communication. I defined a communication protocol to exchange data. The whole system is service-oriented.

RPi provides more computing power and the capability to access the large storage. Further more, its power consumption is very low. In the first step, I want to

1. Move the web server from Arduino to it. The web page can be designed more beautiful since I have larger RAM and storage.
2. Synchronize time from NTS, and provide time service to the system.

If I can find a XBee shield for RPi, it is easy to integrate it into my existing system.

My long-term goal is adding the video, audio and picture service to it.
by wiggles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:34 pm
I'd really like to take the RaspberryPi and stick it inside a 3W LED uplight. Add a wireless USB dongle, and hopefully turn it into a wireless (that is, no DMX cables needed) control for the lighting. Then (and for me, this is the easy part) write some sort of iOS or Android app to contact the Pi, query its current RGB settings, and provide touch sliders to change the color of the lights.

For single lights, TCP communication to sort sort of web server on the Pi would be fine for version 0.1, but ultimately I'd like to be able to group lights and address them by group (multicast).

But that's primarily a software concern. First, in a perfect world, I'd need to poach power from the light (or provide a battery pack or separate AC source), and figure out how to connect the Pi to the wires inside the light can that take input from either the "dial-a-color" buttons on the back of the light or from the DMX input jack. So I've got some work to do... :roll:

And since my skill set doesn't really include electronic wiring... I'll just ask: is this possible to do? I suspect that it is, but I'm wondering if it will be a monstrous pain in butt. Either way, I'll probably give it a shot.

I'm a masochist that way. Anyhow, this is similar to what I'd be throwing up onto the sacrificial altar:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/47474 ... teed_.html
by TapaJob » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 am
wiggles wrote:I'd really like to take the RaspberryPi and stick it inside a 3W LED uplight. Add a wireless USB........led_uplighting_best_quality_guaranteed_.html

Hi,

I intent to do exactly this. Infact, am very close to producing a prototype which, all being well, will be demo's at the Coventry Raspberry Jam, planned this month. Google "moishtech blog" for both the blog and youtube video's on my progress. The electronics part I have just about completed although, like yourself, I am no expert. I code php without much issues however, will require some help with iOS/Android. Would love it if you could get involved with this side of it. Email me from the blog if you fancy getting bouncing some idea's and getting involved.

Regards,
M
by epsilon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:29 pm
I'm using my rPi as a relay for the TOR network. Nothing magic but the rPi is the perfect platform for this. Please see http://blog.epsilontik.de/?page_id=5 for more details....
by kc7klz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:50 am
As a ham radio operator, I am going to use my RPI as a low bandwidth emergency communications server.

Using AX.25 protocol, I can hook the RPI up to my VHF or UHF radio. (I would ether use a TNC, or build a sound card modem. (I would have to figure out how to key up the radio, maybe the USB port, or another port to trigger it.)

I can then load either Apache, or some smaller web server. An SMTP server for e-mail (Maybe Sendmail?) and an IRC chat server. Everything will need to run at 9600 Baud. (Think early 90's modem)

The RPI having low power consumption, and a small WiFi router also having low power consumption, I should be able rig a power supply to run it off of 12 volts. (Most ham radio gear runs off of 12 volts.)

The advantages with something like this is it is portable, and a non-ham operator can be hooked up to this system with just a little configuration of a few apps.

'73

Eric
KC7KLZ
by dipole » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:12 pm
michaelxavier wrote:I just got my Pi and set it up as an automatic torrent box. I've got a nice big 64GB SD card in it (though I may hook it up to my 1tb hard drive if the need arises). I've installed Arch Linux on the Pi and assigned the max amount of memory to the system with no graphic interface. Everything is done over ssh. I've got an inotify script running on my machine that waits for torrents to get dropped into a directory, which then syncs them over to the Pi. I've to rtorrent monitoring the directory on the Pi and it will auto-download to the appropriate directory and start seeding. Lastly, I've got the directories it downloads to set up on an SMB share so my Boxee Box on my TV will automatically index them and make them available for play. :mrgreen:

Provided the Pi's resources allow it, I'm also working on a Rails app called Blackbeard that will hopefully take care of queueing and subscribing to series' torrents through a nice web UI.

Obviously I'm only using this for educational purposes and only to download media whose licenses permit their free distribution via bittorrent.

This is exactly what I want to do, would you mind linking posting in more detail how you set it up?
by bmearns » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:16 pm
Raspberry Pi as wireless router. Should be relatively simple: connect a wireless access point and optionally an ethernet hub (then I guess the AP would have to connect to the hub, not directory the r-pi), then do whatever iptables magic is necessary to act as a router (typical unix stuff).

I think some of the benefits over an off-the-shelf router would be:
  • More fun
  • More flexibility and control.
  • Lots more storage for logging.
  • Maybe a little cheaper, as least compared to anything with remotely as much capability.

Downsides:
  • Might actually be more expensive, especially for simple routers.
  • More work.
  • More to go wrong/more maintenance.
  • Probably runs a little hotter than typical routers.
  • Might consume slightly more power.
by jwedding » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:00 am
I'm attempting to build a transmittal system for my daughter's blood glucose meter. It has a USB output that connects to a Windows-only application currently. There are devices like this on the market currently, but they typically run in the hundreds of dollars, making them out of reach for many diabetics.

My plan is to have a battery operated, switched device that is waiting for the USB input, sniffs the last data point in the meters storage (i.e. the most recent blood sugar reading,) and then sends that out via e-mail to my cell phone on the next open wi-fi network it finds. If I could find a way to send via SMS directly, I would, but my plan right now is to hook up an old jailbroken iPhone to act as a hotspot for the Pi.

If anyone has any links that would help in a)monitoring the USB port for a hookup, b)sniffing the USB datastream, c)scripting an automated mail, I would truly appreciate it!
by dirkc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 pm
I am using my Raspi for home automation:
* CUL device: http://busware.de/tiki-index.php?page=CUL
* FHEM Server: http://fhem.de/fhem.html
* various FS 20 devices: http://www.elv.de/fs20-funkschaltsystem.html (sorry, seems to be german only :-(

works well on the console, the web front end is still under construction ...
by isketerol » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:53 pm
I have set up my RPI to help me run my home lab where I try to keep my skills sharp as an IT consultant. I run VMWare ESXI 5.x hosting a variety of Windows, Linux and Solaris VMs. As a low power, small device I prefer to leave the RPI running instead of a PC. I have setup the following on my RPI

[list=] DNS relay using DNSMasq. This allows me to inject the local host entries for my Virtual machines and PCs into DNS.
PDC using SAMBA.[ I will have centralized logon and password management services for Windows across all of my machines
POP3 and SMTP server I can manage virtual email domains for my lab. Some of the commercial applications I consult in use email integration. It's really useful to be able to see this working/list]

To Do List:
[list=]Add a 250 GD SSD No moving parts, low power and low heat disspipation. :-D
IP Camera Monitoring I'd like to setup monitoring on my two IP cameras so that I can save the pics and possibly video the SSD on the RPI[/list]

I'm loving the RPI. I really feel like I am learning again and I love the idea of a low power device providing these services for me.
by Seema » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:43 am
I'm planning to do my final year Engineering project on "Raspberry-Pi using Android". So if you have any idea or any suggestions regarding this please do reply....

Waiting for your reply,
Thank you.
by ComputerXplorer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:24 am
Why not rip out the contents of a computer and put a raspberry pi - no one will know its just a $25 laptop/PC!