Inexpensive Case on Kickstarter

11 posts
by bozo_z_clown » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 pm
A lot of the cases I've seen are either quite expensive or positively cheap (in a bad way). I like the compromise of price and quality of this one. Plus I like the idea that the guy built the 3D printer he's using for prototypes from scratch.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986127174/designing-an-affordable-and-beautiful-raspberry-pi

Perry
by davemacdo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:23 pm
Bump! I've backed this project and was just coming by to plug it here. I'm worried that it won't make it. There's a long way to go!

This is a really slick looking case. The designer is dedicated and working hard to solicit and incorporate feedback throughout the process!

Selfishly, I want everybody to back this project so that I can get mine.
by pygmy_giant » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:34 pm
like its quirky look - no slot for GPIO connection though :|
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by beardface » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:39 am
Hi!

This is actually my case :)

I'm working on adding a GPIO slot... Need input as to what it should be like though....

Are you just talking about a GPIO slot for the cable adafruit sells (Standard cable?)

Or something different?

-Justin
by beardface » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:41 am
Also, check out the campaign video which has been updated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTbyGyrwKg

I think you'll like it. :) (At least... I do.)
by nick.mccloud » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 am
How did you arrive at a $15,000 budget - it seems way over the top and doomed to failure - you need to get as many pledges a day as you've got since you started. Can you resubmit with something more realistic?
by neonkoala » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:21 pm
nick.mccloud wrote:How did you arrive at a $15,000 budget - it seems way over the top and doomed to failure - you need to get as many pledges a day as you've got since you started. Can you resubmit with something more realistic?

Unfortunately this is probably a realistic figure. I would expect at least $10000 USD for something like this as you have to factor in the cost of tooling to get a mold for the plastic to be injected into. These are usually several thousands of dollars meaning that whilst a unit cost may be < $1 you then need to factor in the cost of the tool into the initial production run so a few thousand are needed in the first run again pushing up costs. Injection molding has a surprisingly expensive startup cost.
by beardface » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:54 pm
nick.mccloud wrote:How did you arrive at a $15,000 budget - it seems way over the top and doomed to failure - you need to get as many pledges a day as you've got since you started. Can you resubmit with something more realistic?

Do you have any idea of how much tooling and injection molding actually costs? I'm going to assume no, otherwise you wouldn't have bothred posting. :)

Tooling for an initial injection mold run (Done in China), costs 7000 FOR STARTERS. :) On top of that, you need a minimum order of 2500 units, at 95 cents per unit.

THEN, you need to ship everything.

This isn't a money-maker for me, its a product-maker, and the cost is fair and what it would take to make this happen.

Anything less on kickstarter, and it would be me, buying everyone a case.
by beardface » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:55 pm
pygmy_giant wrote:like its quirky look - no slot for GPIO connection though :|

I've designed in a functional GPIO port that will fit the adafruit (or any) GPIO cable.

More Info -> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/198 ... sts/258639
by nick.mccloud » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:04 pm
beardface wrote:

Do you have any idea of how much tooling and injection molding actually costs? I'm going to assume no, otherwise you wouldn't have bothred posting. :)
Tooling for an initial injection mold run (Done in China), costs 7000 FOR STARTERS. :) On top of that, you need a minimum order of 2500 units, at 95 cents per unit.

Perhaps you should of:
a. explained this in your write up
b. budgeted for a customer service course
by thexman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:17 pm
beardface wrote:
pygmy_giant wrote:like its quirky look - no slot for GPIO connection though :|

I've designed in a functional GPIO port that will fit the adafruit (or any) GPIO cable.

Actually that slot isn't adequate at all.

the ribbon will fit threw there yes but what about the connections even the lowest Profile one would be above the Hight of the current USB housing, so your case wont fit. unless you managed to get an even lower profile one (if so please supply that with your case as not many others have found one yet).

if you threaded the ribbon threw how do you attach it to your Pi and install everything there's no way to push down or hold the plug and the pi and the case and slot it all together.

have you even tried this, a design only works once its been tested nothing works simply by design only. comments welcome.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man