Get a box of screws from the hardware store...

6 posts
by DomL » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:26 pm
When I received my Raspi, I made a simple cardboard mockup of it and I visited the local hardware store. I headed for the "screws and nuts" department… Using the cardboard model, it took just two minutes to find the perfect box! Made of "non-rigid", transparent plastic, with a cover attached to one side of the box and can open easily when needed, that box has the perfect dimensions for the Raspi.

It took a bit less than one hour to cut the necessary openings in the box, using just a pencil, a sharp cutter and an electric drill.

Amazingly, all dimensions are so perfectly matching that there is no need for any attachment of the board to the box. All connectors are perfectly inside the box, with not one mm of any component protruding. The only part that is outside the box (when attached) is the sd card...

Really, it appears to be built for it ! The result is really perfect. And a tiny inscription molded in the plastic says "100% recyclebar"...

Total cost : 3.99€… for the box AND the 50 screws which were in it !
by thexman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:58 pm
shame you never posted an image of the project to give people the opportunity to see the 3.99 box.

what size screws i need a few for shelfing ill offer £1 for the 50 screws. if there suitable.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man
by DomL » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:26 pm
You are right, Thexman, I should have uploaded some pictures.
So... Here they are : a 3.99€ case perfectly sized for the Raspi.
Attachments
P1020136.jpg
P1020136.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
P1020135.jpg
P1020135.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
P1020134.jpg
P1020134.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
by CarlFriedrich » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:33 pm
Great idea!
It looks really nice too.
by jhd » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:36 am
have you a link to buy this box ?
Site FR RaspBerry Pi: http://www.zem.fr
by DomL » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 pm
jhd wrote:have you a link to buy this box ?

Hi Jhd,

As explained in my first post, I actually went to the closest hardware store to get that one.
In fact, I just got nother 2 Rapis and went back to the same stire to buy another 2 identical boxes. I then realized that I had missed boxes of screws which were even less exepnsive than the first box I purchased. They were at 1.99€, sold in the same plastic box.

The only problem I had when I reached home was to get rid of the glue that was used to stick the label on the boxes... By the size is absolutely perfect.

I wonder if it would be possible to build some kind of punch that could be used to cut the holes on the sides at once, rather than use a cuter as I did. It must then be possible to get in touch with the company that manufactures these plastic boxes and to purchase some directly. The cost should not be more than a few cents per box. And they are really ideal for the raspi.

I am now trying to find a box that would be much bigger, which could hold both the raspi, a usb hub and would make it possible to line up all connectors on one side. That would probably be much "cleaner" for a teaching environment, and it would eliminate potential problems with cables going all around the Raspi. Actually, in a teaching environment, nobody cares about the size, and a box about the size of a paperback book, protecting all fragile components, would be much more appropriate...
So, I am currently looking for such an alternative.