AppleTV Clone, for Home & OTG Portable

2 posts
by RasPiATV » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:51 am
Hello World,

My plan is to fit gut my broken NextStar GX external hdd casing, it looks exactly like the large AppleTvs. I will be using the HDMI out with for the main monitor and the Composite video connector will be internally joint to a 3.5-4.0" mini LCD in the base of the case where the drive heatsink use to be. I will probably use a WiiMote with LIRC as my tv remote setup at home. I'll see about embedding mobile controls, and a battery pack inside the case. I plan to salvage the cases, power and disk led and the small internal fan. For an idea on how it looks and how i plan to place it all inside have a look below. (sorry i fumble for the right word a few times :) )

Any comments or suggestions, are of course welcome and appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYSZvXxsFD4
by RasPiATV » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:59 pm
So here are some of the sample pics,. so far

Front View: I plan to salvage the Power & HDD Activity LED's on the front

Back View: I plan so salvage the ports at the back and mount the powered hub and some outports, going so see if i can salvage the poower switch and fan controls as well.

Bottom View: The hole is from the heatsink, i plan to fill that hole with a composite rca LCD 3.5" - 4.0". This will be the portable viewing screen. Viewing at home will use hdmi out, viewing on the go will use the composite on the inside of the case. At home i will use a wiimote for the controller, and on the go,. i will either mod some controls into the case or something,.. maybe a touchscreen overlay.

Inside View: Plan to salvage then fan, strip the lcd down to its panel, as well as strip a usb hub down, include them with the RPi, and battery pack.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are always welcome!