Raspberry Rock

15 posts
by walleee » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:02 pm
Nice Case Design Manufactured in the UK, Available on Ebay.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sits well on top of my HTPC set up....
by Montala » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:21 pm
Thanks... but I just did a search for Raspberry Pi cases on EBay.co.uk and nothing looking quite like that came up.

Any chance of a link please?
by mxcum167 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:00 pm
Martin www.chez-cummings.com
by Montala » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:09 pm
Thank you... but I see they call it a "desktop enclosure", which Is probably why nothing came up when I searched under 'case'! :o
by piglet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:11 pm
Velcro? :shock: OK! :lol:
by Montala » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:29 pm
piglet wrote:Velcro? :shock: OK! :lol:

Thanks... I hadn't noticed that initially... not the best solution , perhaps!

Ah well... onto Plan 'B'! :)
by walleee » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:26 pm
What would you suggest 'the best solution' is?

For example, I think 'sticky pads' (you know the type, white double sided sticky foam) would be even less suitable, as they would do nothing to dissipate heat, and in fact might perish with the heat.

The ones with the 'case' I got, are 4 small circles, which stick nicely on the bottom of the PCB where there are a few small spaces.
There is also a large 1inch circular one, which i've not had a use for yet.

I'm all ears if you think you know of a way to modify it to be 'better' but at the moment it's doing everything I need it to, sitting under the TV.

I was reluctant to post a direct link in-case anyone thought I was trying to sell them, as i'm not, just a relatively happy customer.....
by thexman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:31 pm
the problem with sticking anything to the bottom of the PCB is theres no real heat but the stickiness can pull off some of the small resistors on the bottom of the Pi if your not careful, rendering your Pi useless, until your able to re-solder the pulled resistor.

most of the other cases including the ones i was selling an will be reselling soon use a wedge on the edge of the PCB not near any component and simply holds it there with out stressing the PCB the case you bought wont suit that fixxing type as you have no vertical posts near the 4 sides of the PCB nice case shame about the holding you pi firm part.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man
by jecxjo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:02 pm
The only issue I have with the Pi design is no screw mounting holes. I know people have snap together cases but what if you want to mount it into a larger project? Now you need to make an "enclosure" to hold your Pi that also connects to the larger enclosure.
IRC (w/ SSL Support): jecxjo.mdns.org
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code
ProjectEuler Friend: 79556084281370_44d12dd95e92b1d9453aba2bdc94101b
by walleee » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:22 pm
Thanks for the last two, somewhat constructive posts.

I will ensure to be extra careful if I end up removing the velcro pads, and hadn't considered what you mention about the resistors but I don't think the pads are sticky enough to tear resistors off, i'm grateful for you pointing out the fact though ;)

I had it in a cardboard case I made myself but I like this one as it has some weight to it, it sits where I want it to, rather than where the cables dictated as it did when bare due to being so light....

Agreed about the mounting holes.

I suppose if I really wanted to do something I could create two 'clips' that would stick (or screw) into the wood and hold the board down in place in a similar fashion to what you describe in an enclosed case, but for now i'm happy with it.
by thexman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 pm
sorry my reason for explaining that anything sticky could damage the PCB, was from a damaged PCB by Velcro instance i had my self although not a PI it was a small PCB acrylic plastic and Velcro i removed the PCB and the Velcro was more sticky than the stickiness stuck to the PCB and it had attached it self to a surface mounted resistor and pulled it from the Board leaving the soldered ends in place.

this was my only reason for mentioning the fact.

try saying " more sticky than the sticky was stuck" fast 10 times as a way of apology..lol
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man
by billylingard » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:48 pm
The 4 small Velcro attachments can be moved, i.e. not where the resisters are. There is also a 33mm Velcro attachment for sticking the case wherever you want i.e. on the back of your TV/monitor. There is no-way Velcro pads could pull the resisters off. This implies the raspberry pi is poorly constructed. You would struggle to pull the resisters off with a pair of pliers.
by fifthQ » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:54 am
Just wanted to add, I've bought one of these enclosures, the build quality is excellent, and the customer service is even better. I had a small issue with a sticker being a little bit crooked, rather than just send me a new sticker and be done with it, they are sending me a whole new cover, plus some extra stickers. I'm in Australia too, so postage from the UK wouldn't be cheap. Definitely above and beyond what I expected.
by jacob guest » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:28 pm
they allso have a website you can purchase from with even better results, cheaper aswell! http://www.raspberryrock.com
by walleee » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:23 pm
Second one arrived today.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us