Punnet - a print at home cardboard case

142 posts   Page 2 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
by FinnDoggo » Sat May 26, 2012 11:49 am
What a great idea and very much in keeping with the low cost & accessibility principles of the RasPi.
I'm sure lots of IT class rooms will be full of eager school kids building and customizing their cases in anticipation of the arrival of school issue Pis.
A simple & essential add-on for classroom work to avoid mishandling and powered-up zaps.
Amazing effort - given you didn't even seem to have a RasPi to hand to match your theoretical dimensions.
Very much like the helpful suggestions in posts about amending your .pdf to allow for RasPi Logo vent and personal designs overprinting.
I have made two now and they fit well after a few tweaks - as already mentioned.
Thank you very much. Very well done!
Should be shipped along with every Pi.
You should get a royalty too!
by MrSlinkyfish » Sat May 26, 2012 12:25 pm
I have developed the design and made it available at:

http://stephenpithouse.weebly.com/pi-case.html

Any comments are welcome.
by TechColab » Sat May 26, 2012 12:59 pm
I got my Pi a cuple of days ago. The alpa is pretty good but does, as you expected, need a couple of tweaks. I might have a go at tweaking it myself in OpenOffice Draw.
1) Most significantly, the audio socket is closer to the composite video socket (4mm?) and it's on the same base lne, not the same centre line - I.e. it's a bit lower (2mm?).
2) It's a lot easier to glue the tabs on the outside, even if it doesn't look as good. I used a hot glue gun so it might be fine inside if you use superglue.
3) I don't think it needs the air vent on the top - it really doen't get warm at all.
4) Could perhaps add a slot above (and either side of) the CV for the lid to tuck into?
Sticky-out USB / over-recessed Ethernet is a pain but understandable compromise for cost.
by E » Sat May 26, 2012 2:09 pm
ukscone wrote:do you have any liquid gold you could use to refill the ink cartridge? it's cheaper than printer ink

So's probably flying out to sea and squeezing your own squid!

FinnDoggo wrote:What a great idea and very much in keeping with the low cost & accessibility principles of the RasPi.
I'm sure lots of IT class rooms will be full of eager school kids building and customizing their cases in anticipation of the arrival of school issue Pis.
A simple & essential add-on for classroom work to avoid mishandling and powered-up zaps.
Amazing effort - given you didn't even seem to have a RasPi to hand to match your theoretical dimensions.
Very much like the helpful suggestions in posts about amending your .pdf to allow for RasPi Logo vent and personal designs overprinting.
I have made two now and they fit well after a few tweaks - as already mentioned.
Thank you very much. Very well done!
Should be shipped along with every Pi.
You should get a royalty too!

Thanks :) I'm happy for the Punnet to be open source, but if there is any interest in a 'deluxe' version I'd be uncomfortable with a royalty rather than the money going to the Pi foundation, as there's been any set-up costs, except some printer ink! ;)

MrSlinkyfish wrote:I have developed the design and made it available at:

http://stephenpithouse.weebly.com/pi-case.html

Any comments are welcome.

I like the logo/vents on the top, and the use of foam sheet(?) on the base.

TechColab wrote:I got my Pi a cuple of days ago. The alpa is pretty good but does, as you expected, need a couple of tweaks. I might have a go at tweaking it myself in OpenOffice Draw.
1) Most significantly, the audio socket is closer to the composite video socket (4mm?) and it's on the same base lne, not the same centre line - I.e. it's a bit lower (2mm?).
2) It's a lot easier to glue the tabs on the outside, even if it doesn't look as good. I used a hot glue gun so it might be fine inside if you use superglue.
3) I don't think it needs the air vent on the top - it really doen't get warm at all.
4) Could perhaps add a slot above (and either side of) the CV for the lid to tuck into?
Sticky-out USB / over-recessed Ethernet is a pain but understandable compromise for cost.

Thanks for the measurements!
Yes, I'd think hot glue was a bit perhaps a bit thick.
My thought was the air vent also doubles as a handle to open the lid, and also perhaps to allow wires or whatnot out.
I'm not quite sure what you mean about the lid?
An earlier version of the case had a recessed corner for the ethernet, but it was very fiddly to cut, and made the corner too weak, so I decided to keep it simpler. It still bugs me though!
by aidanapword » Sat May 26, 2012 4:58 pm
hello! Fantastic job ... BTW.

Could you add a small scale (on two axes) to the image ... then when I print it out I can check it by testing the length of two, say, 8cm lines (one on x and one on y)?

Like I say: Fantastic Job!
by E » Sat May 26, 2012 6:15 pm
aidanapword wrote:hello! Fantastic job ... BTW.

Could you add a small scale (on two axes) to the image ... then when I print it out I can check it by testing the length of two, say, 8cm lines (one on x and one on y)?

Like I say: Fantastic Job!

Thanks, and just doing that very thing ;)

I've also got ink now, so I'll be able to print it out tomorrow.
by ukscone » Sat May 26, 2012 6:16 pm
E wrote:.

and there is one less squid in the ocean
by chromebookbob » Sat May 26, 2012 7:38 pm
Thank You SOOOOOO much, I love my Punnet.
Visit my Pi powered Minecraft Server: picraft.no-ip.biz:25565
and my website with instructions on it: www.picraftbukkit.webs.com
by poing » Sat May 26, 2012 7:38 pm
ukscone wrote:

:( I want a squid friendly Pi case! (unless it's name is HP 8-) )

But seriously, I used to make things (sundials) from heavy cardboard which won't go through a printer. IMO this material would be much better to create a case than anything you can put through a normal printer.

I'm thinking wouldn't it be possible to create a program on the Pi where you input the board thickness in mm (or grams per square meter) and the program would output a Punnet pdf with the right dimensions allowing for the board thickness? That pdf is then printed on a normal sheet and stuck on the cardboard for cutting.
by E » Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 pm
Ok, here is the first Beta PDF of Punnet. I’ve been enjoying the sunshine and a bit of pear cider, but hopefully I’ve remembered peoples suggestions, and made the correct adjustments to the audio port ;) I’ll tidy up the editable .SVG and make it available soon for modding.

Larger image

A short list of the changes:
Moved Audio port hole. (see ramble below for more)
Tweaked position of USB and SD card holes.
Hinge fold is 0.5 mm higher for a flatter close on the lid.
Space under SD card for adhesive decreased from 2 to 0.5 mm
Port labels are now on the outside of the case, and you can print your own designs on the outside.
Hole to allow you to see activity lights. Not sure how well it will work without actually having a Pi to try it on. I suspect it may be too far away from the lights to be very clear.
Extra instructions.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded about 7 CAD files of the Pi from different sources, and overlaid them on top each other in Sketchup. Unfortunately none agree on the exact position of the Audio or RCA ports, so I have used a combination of Gerts measurements, 2 files that nearly agree and Andrew K’s PDF. Hopefully they are at least a lot closer to being in the right place, if not bang on.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! It is really appreciated :)

E
by E » Sun May 27, 2012 8:05 pm
poing wrote:
ukscone wrote:

:( I want a squid friendly Pi case! (unless it's name is HP 8-) )

But seriously, I used to make things (sundials) from heavy cardboard which won't go through a printer. IMO this material would be much better to create a case than anything you can put through a normal printer.

I'm thinking wouldn't it be possible to create a program on the Pi where you input the board thickness in mm (or grams per square meter) and the program would output a Punnet pdf with the right dimensions allowing for the board thickness? That pdf is then printed on a normal sheet and stuck on the cardboard for cutting.

Thanks for the suggestion :) I am thinking of doing a heavier card one, it's just I felt it would require getting stuff especially for making the case, which may put people off, and be harder to cut if you've not got experience with cardboard.
by remondo » Mon May 28, 2012 12:49 pm
Excellent idea, I just tried to print mine off onto 160gsm card but my printer (Sumsung CLP-310N colour laser) wasn't having any of it even though the max paper thickness is 163gsm. I've just printed it onto paper for now and will trace around it once I get home and upload pics for you. I received my RPi last Thursday and was a little worried about continually handling the device, especially when adding and removing cables etc. Hopefully this will suffice until the modmypi cases are ready.
by Steep » Mon May 28, 2012 2:41 pm
I posted this on the earlier punnet thread but I'll post it here as well, you don't need to print onto heavy paper or card, get yourself some A4 labels like - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... 00_s00_i00 which I bought, they work a treat.
by E » Mon May 28, 2012 4:18 pm
Steep wrote:I posted this on the earlier punnet thread but I'll post it here as well, you don't need to print onto heavy paper or card, get yourself some A4 labels like - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... 00_s00_i00 which I bought, they work a treat.

Could give a nice 2 colour effect too, if the card used wasn't white.
by spacemacgyver » Mon May 28, 2012 7:02 pm
Being too lazy to actually cut anything by hand, I traced the diagram for the Beta version in Silhouette Studio and cut it out. To aid in folding properly, I also added perforations along those edges, and found that it folds quite nicely using 110lb cardstock (sorry for the American units). My unit has yet to arrive, so I can't verify that it is spot-on, but I feel pretty good about the whole thing.

Attachments
punnet beta sans overlay.zip
Punnet Beta cutout w/out overlay (Silhouette Studio file)
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
by remondo » Mon May 28, 2012 7:46 pm
So after failing to print onto card I printed onto paper and dabbed glue onto several corners (for easy removal once cutout) and stuck it onto card. The results were great, I used a craft knife and ruler to cut it out and modified the top vent with my own design.

I reduced the size of the USB hole by 1mm on each side and pushed the USB component through for a snug fit. Super-glue didn't work for me so I just used plenty of Pritt Stick.

Pics attached, excuse the bits of excess glue, I'm only using this until the modmypi cases are ready or I decide to buy a 3D printer!
Attachments
2012-05-28 20.32.18 (Mobile).jpg
2012-05-28 20.32.18 (Mobile).jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
2012-05-28 20.31.41 (Mobile).jpg
2012-05-28 20.31.41 (Mobile).jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
2012-05-28 20.30.55 (Mobile).jpg
2012-05-28 20.30.55 (Mobile).jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
by spacemacgyver » Tue May 29, 2012 12:10 am
spacemacgyver wrote:Being too lazy to actually cut anything by hand, I traced the diagram for the Beta version in Silhouette Studio and cut it out. To aid in folding properly, I also added perforations along those edges, and found that it folds quite nicely using 110lb cardstock (sorry for the American units). My unit has yet to arrive, so I can't verify that it is spot-on, but I feel pretty good about the whole thing.

I've made a subtle but significant revision (well, two, including the vents on the lid as inspired by remondo) -- the addition of VESA mounts, for affixing to the back of an LCD. It consists of two holes of [hopefully] sufficient size, separated by 10cm center-to-center. I could have made the tabs a bit more sturdy, but for demonstration purposes I feel good about it.
Attachments
TOSH0017.JPG
Punnet Beta Revision 2 demo (w/ VESA mounts)
TOSH0017.JPG (26.27 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
punnet beta sans overlay rev 2.zip
Revision 2 - Punnet Sans Overlay (Silhouette Studio file)
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
by E » Tue May 29, 2012 8:19 am
remondo wrote:So after failing to print onto card I printed onto paper and dabbed glue onto several corners (for easy removal once cutout) and stuck it onto card. The results were great, I used a craft knife and ruler to cut it out and modified the top vent with my own design.

I reduced the size of the USB hole by 1mm on each side and pushed the USB component through for a snug fit. Super-glue didn't work for me so I just used plenty of Pritt Stick.

Pics attached, excuse the bits of excess glue, I'm only using this until the modmypi cases are ready or I decide to buy a 3D printer!

Looks good :) The tighter USB hole is nice - I wasn't sure how much wiggle room there'd be to get the USB ports through, so I designed it on the larger side. I take it you trimmed 1 mm off all 4 sides? All the the other holes line up ok?

spacemacgyver wrote:I've made a subtle but significant revision (well, two, including the vents on the lid as inspired by remondo) -- the addition of VESA mounts, for affixing to the back of an LCD. It consists of two holes of [hopefully] sufficient size, separated by 10cm center-to-center. I could have made the tabs a bit more sturdy, but for demonstration purposes I feel good about it.

Liking the VESA mount idea - nice work!
by remondo » Tue May 29, 2012 8:57 am
E wrote:Looks good :) The tighter USB hole is nice - I wasn't sure how much wiggle room there'd be to get the USB ports through, so I designed it on the larger side. I take it you trimmed 1 mm off all 4 sides? All the the other holes line up ok?

Thanks, yes 1mm off all 4 sides then I just gently eased the USB ports through so the lip sat nice and snug. You could always just cut about 1mm into a couple of corners if you use thicker card and have trobule getting the ports through. Things didn't quite line-up right because the whole thing was a couple of mm off centre due to the USB ports being pushed through but I just used a craft knife to open some of the holes a bit. It may take a couple more iterations to get everything lined up if you follow my modifications. If I have time I'll have a go at modifying the design to accomodate.

Bigger pics (right click and view image):

by jjarvis » Tue May 29, 2012 8:52 pm
The template is fantastic. Thank-you. But if you have a laminator then...

Cut out the punnet then laminate the sheet of paper with punnet-shaped hole (that is laminate the paper that is left when you cut out the punnet). Then cut out the double thickness laminate where it is transparent and, using the cut out punnet underneath as a guide, scored to create the folds. This gives a transparent pun net so you can see the LEDs. Being lazy I used tape to hold it together...
by alittlebitdifferent » Wed May 30, 2012 8:12 am
I had a go at putting my Pi in it.
First attempt. I cut a Manilla Folder to A4 size then ran it through the printer.
Used a swiss army knife to cut it.
It fits ok.

The audio port and HDMI are out a little in the current Aplha 3 design.
I think the Composite Video might be cut a little high.
The Ethernet is quite recessed.

Pictures here:
http://pic.twitter.com/5B8TL5IC
http://pic.twitter.com/rxh8Gdvs
http://pic.twitter.com/BfjqynQp
http://pic.twitter.com/mR90h85F
http://pic.twitter.com/J3GyAE6x

@MrSteddy
by SN » Wed May 30, 2012 9:44 am
This does indeed seem a MUCH better template than the original paper case template from a couple of months ago that I did construct.

As a comparison, here is that case, wrapped around R2 .............. the poor relation of R1 that sits in its 'professional case'
Image Image

As an improvement (for all cases) can I suggest that two round holes be provided approximately 10mm diameter directly above TP1 and TP2 for obvious reasons :?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by E » Wed May 30, 2012 6:05 pm
Thanks for the feedback all :)

My Pi arrived today ( :D ) which is going to make things soooo much easier, meaning hopefully I'll have the final version of Punnet up by the end of the week. If only I'd waited a week longer before doing the original plans... :roll:
by bananasdoom » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:43 am
Thanks for the case cutout I didn't have a plan for a case for the raspberry pi so when it arrived yesterday this was a Pi ($) saver and it worked quite well with cereal box cardboard. Here it is running XBMC OpenELEC (how to http://goo.gl/GYECB)
And the beautiful box
by viciouspenguin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:26 am
Great case! I made one last night, I added a window so you can see the LEDs....

case.jpg
case.jpg (51.31 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

More Photos Here!
FishPi: An autonomous drop In the Ocean.