Punnet - a print at home cardboard case


142 posts   Page 6 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
by chris_c » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:45 am
raspfly wrote:(1) If we have a paper / plastic sheet cut out to make a case for RP can static electricity create some problem for RP ?

Paper is unlikely to cause a static problem, and plastic may well if you run it up and down the carpet regularly, plenty of people have used paper/thin card without issues and I haven't heard of anyone complaining their plastic case destroyed their Pi, while static is very much a problem for isolated components, a complete board like for example the pi will tend to be much more resilient to static problems, although you could no doubt prove me wrong if you tried hard enough....

(2) How do we fix RP inside the case ? Or is the case small enough to stop RP from moving inside the paper case ?

between the connectors (especially the usb for example) and the shape of the board it fits without any slop
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:23 am
by SergeantFTC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:58 pm
E wrote:
FX4 wrote:This is great, any chance at an 8x11 version. It's a bit hard to come up with A4 stock here in the U.S..

I'd suggest downloading the .SVG version and changing the page size in Inkscape. It should fit ok if you delete the instructions or print them on another sheet.



I went ahead and did this. I haven't tested it yet (will report back later as to whether it fits or not) but it should work. I am attaching a zip file which contains both a PDF and an SVG.
Attachments
Punnet(US_Letter).zip
(32.26 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Delaware, USA
by raspfly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:43 pm
chris_c wrote:
raspfly wrote:(1) If we have a paper / plastic sheet cut out to make a case for RP can static electricity create some problem for RP ?

Paper is unlikely to cause a static problem, and plastic may well if you run it up and down the carpet regularly, plenty of people have used paper/thin card without issues and I haven't heard of anyone complaining their plastic case destroyed their Pi, while static is very much a problem for isolated components, a complete board like for example the pi will tend to be much more resilient to static problems, although you could no doubt prove me wrong if you tried hard enough....

(2) How do we fix RP inside the case ? Or is the case small enough to stop RP from moving inside the paper case ?

between the connectors (especially the usb for example) and the shape of the board it fits without any slop


Thats good. I would also like to ask,
the cardboard box in which Element 14 has sent me RP is strong enough and its outside height is abt 23 mm. Looks nice, cute and small. Why is it that our Punnet RP case has much more height ? Is it for ventilation ? In that case does RP hangs a few mm above the inner surface of the case ?
Attachments
box.jpg
Cardboard box
box.jpg (14.31 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 1:42 am
by E » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:18 pm
raspfly wrote: I would also like to ask, the cardboard box in which Element 14 has sent me RP is strong enough and its outside height is abt 23 mm. Looks nice, cute and small. Why is it that our Punnet RP case has much more height ? Is it for ventilation ? In that case does RP hangs a few mm above the inner surface of the case ?

It's a bit taller than the Raspberry Pi itself to help strengthen it a little against any accidental impact on the top, and to allow a good size of tuck in flap on the lid.
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:30 pm
by raspfly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:41 pm
Ok, i understand the reason.
Well, if u do not mind, can u kindly direct me to the link for the 'final' A4 version of Punnet Case. There have been a lot of modifications spread over 6 pages. So a lil confusing as to which one is the final one. I would like to try both svg and pdf versions.
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 1:42 am
by SergeantFTC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:50 pm
raspfly wrote:Ok, i understand the reason.
Well, if u do not mind, can u kindly direct me to the link for the 'final' A4 version of Punnet Case. There have been a lot of modifications spread over 6 pages. So a lil confusing as to which one is the final one. I would like to try both svg and pdf versions.


If you scroll down here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1310 there are links to both PDF and SVG versions of the final design (mark 1).
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Delaware, USA
by SergeantFTC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:55 pm
The version of the Punnet that I modified for US Letter paper works like a charm. :D
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Delaware, USA
by raspfly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:27 pm
SergeantFTC wrote:The version of the Punnet that I modified for US Letter paper works like a charm. :D


Thats good, but i am not in US so i need one for A4. I hope the link that u mentioned above is the one i need. Thanx !
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 1:42 am
by FX4 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:35 pm
SergeantFTC wrote:
E wrote:
FX4 wrote:This is great, any chance at an 8x11 version. It's a bit hard to come up with A4 stock here in the U.S..

I'd suggest downloading the .SVG version and changing the page size in Inkscape. It should fit ok if you delete the instructions or print them on another sheet.



I went ahead and did this. I haven't tested it yet (will report back later as to whether it fits or not) but it should work. I am attaching a zip file which contains both a PDF and an SVG.

Thanks for doing this. My son is in need of case and this will be perfect for him.
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:39 pm
by mac499 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:59 pm
I borrowed my beloveds crafting stencil cutter thingy. ( A Silhouette Cameo It's basically a printer X-Y plotter with a knife rather than a pen). Then I edited the SVG using Inkscape to remove the text and fold lines. Dropped it to .png, Imported it to the X-Y software after a bit more manipulation and it's ready to go.

A quick paper test piece then feed the silhoette a sheet of thick plastic The stuff you use in comb binders as document covers; et voila, one transparent Punnet, almost as good as die cut.

I also use one of those USB chargers with interchangeable tips, so I leave the Tip in the Pi and unplug the lead to avoid strain on the board..
Attachments
IMAG0221.jpg
IMAG0221.jpg (62.17 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
Cheers MAC
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:36 pm
by jrt_ms1995 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:55 pm
SergeantFTC wrote:The version of the Punnet that I modified for US Letter paper works like a charm. :D


Thank you, Sergeant, I think I'll try this while I continue to continue to wait for my NCSU red & white case from ModMyPi.
John
User avatar
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm
by bursar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:32 pm
Just want to say thanks for making this available :) I've just printed one out on standard A4 paper and it works pretty well. Next job is to find some card stock and make one that's a little bit more sturdy.
http://mmm-pi.co.uk - my adventures with a Pi
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Cambridge, UK
by AndrewJohnson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:32 pm
I have converted the PDF into a 600x600 dpi Jpeg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ad.johnson ... design.jpg

and then I added a little design - hope this doesn't upset anyone!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ad.johnson ... 600dpi.jpg

Approx 1.5 megs each file
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:34 am
Location: Derbs UK
by Dreeass » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 pm
I've edited some stuff about the SVG and made it a little bit more easy to print with colour, I have made a topic about it here.
Increase attachment and avatar size limit or use a third party system?
User avatar
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:05 am
Location: Ghent, Belgium
by jakespikey » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:55 am
Hi guys, was just reading through the thread as I was interested in putting this case together however I have a Raspberry Pi Model A not B, is there a version made for this one as well?

Thanks :)
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:53 am
by Pill » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:19 pm
My design for the Punnet:

Image
http://cl.ly/3A2n382l0S2T
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:13 pm
by taichi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:36 am
Thank you very much for your Fantastic job!

I was looking for drawing of paper case, then hit punnet.

When I assembled your case, I found a margin touching RCA Video Connector.

I add just a little bit changes:

I changed position of hinge, because of glue margin touching RCA Video connector.
I added small cut on margin, because of holding top cover and easy to open.
I changed shape of top hole, and broken line.
I changed some label text.


I will soon teach programing for kids with RaspberryPi, and I also want kids to make Pi Case by their hand.

And I also want to cut the case by cutting Plotter(Silhouette Studio) for kaizen prototyping, so I traced and convert your PDF to Silhouette Studio file with above changes.


Here is link to PDF and Silhouette Studio files
https://app.box.com/s/ff0t3wqwajfa1ytv7w2b

The attachment raspicase-small.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
raspicase-small.jpg
raspicase-small.jpg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:31 am