Punnet - a print at home cardboard case

146 posts   Page 1 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
by E » Wed May 23, 2012 7:57 pm
This is my cardboard case design that can be printed on a sheet of A4 cardboard on a standard home printer. I've been working on it for a while, and have finally got around to putting up the PDF. Please keep in mind that I do not have a Raspberry Pi yet, so this is an untested 'alpha' version, and doubtless will need some further adjustments. I would be very grateful for any feedback about how well it fits an actual Pi, how easy it is to cut and assemble etc... Updated versions based on any feedback will be posted further down the thread as I go along.

Link to the first 'alpha' PDF is here.

I did also wonder about doing a 'deluxe' version - perhaps for use with thicker card or for laser cutting - and charging, say 50p for it, which would go to the Pi foundation (if I could set that up somehow). I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on this.

Larger image

Larger image

Larger image

P.S It's called Punnet because raspberries come in a punnet, but also the printout is a net of the case. See what I did there. ;)
by ukscone » Wed May 23, 2012 8:07 pm
I definitely think this is front page worthy. i'll PM Liz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by E » Wed May 23, 2012 8:19 pm
ukscone wrote:I definitely think this is front page worthy. i'll PM Liz

Wow thanks! That's made my evening! :D
by liz » Wed May 23, 2012 8:43 pm
Oh - VERY nice. Do you have a Twitter handle, E, so I can credit you there too? I'll pop this on the front page and tweet about it tomorrow.
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by Nb8k » Wed May 23, 2012 9:11 pm
Cool punnet. Just had a go with some 210g paper and a few pieces of tape. A big improvement on my previous case,

Only thing I noticed was that the audio socket seems to be 1-2mm out of position on mine and the ethernet socket is set back a bit. Small tweaks, I'm sure, but I thought I'd give some feedback.

Great work - I'm sure this will be popular.
by RussIT » Wed May 23, 2012 9:22 pm
here's my attempt from your pdf design, needs a few minor tweeks :D
Attachments
IMAG0157.jpg
IMAG0157.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 62829 times
by paddy2k » Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm
Looking forward to trying making it in the morning.
My only feedback would be to add either one or two small openings to see the activity lights in the corner beside the audio jack. Maybe some Selotape could be used to make a window.
by Nb8k » Wed May 23, 2012 9:48 pm
paddy2k wrote:Looking forward to trying making it in the morning.
My only feedback would be to add either one or two small openings to see the activity lights in the corner beside the audio jack. Maybe some Selotape could be used to make a window.

I can see the activity lights through the sunroof on mine :D
by Steep » Wed May 23, 2012 11:12 pm
Change the circular hole in the top to match the RPi logo?
by muzicar » Thu May 24, 2012 9:33 am
Very nice and simple :) altho due to using paper and tape in this case - which are both awesome generators of static electricity that can seriously damage an electric component and thus lower the life span of it or even destroy it - I'd suggest "dressing" your RPi into an anti static bag before putting it in - the one you got with your RPi should do just fine with a little help from the mighty scissors :)

Since mine is already dressed I'll definetly give this a go during the weekend :)
by Steep » Thu May 24, 2012 11:47 am
Lemon Pi? http://www.marnoch.org/galleryhm/rpi/pi2.jpg

I found a 50p placemat bought from Tesco a few months back which seemed ideal at ~0.5mm thick http://www.marnoch.org/galleryhm/rpi/placemat.jpg and after a root around in my old paper stock a single sheet of A4 clear inkjet label. I printed off the pdf and stuck it to the back of the placemat http://www.marnoch.org/galleryhm/rpi/contact.jpg

Cut out and folding were relatively easy but I made some mistakes and the initial drawing will need some slight adjustment for the thicker material used. The plastic placemat is a lot stronger/stiffer than card too so it does not need some of the flaps in the original design. The Ethernet opening can be cut out completely and either the top side long flap or the long flap at the far end can be done away with

Spot the deliberate mistake? http://www.marnoch.org/galleryhm/rpi/cut.jpg the nice lemon bit is on the underside doh! Also in some places while scoring along the fold lines with a craft knife I cut a little too deeply and on folding the plastic split apart.
I'm not sure how well this material would take gluing so perhaps small plastic pop rivets would work better for keeping it together?
by kieranajp » Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 pm
+1 for the issue of the audio jack's hole being a little misaligned.

I uploaded a few pictures here including a terrible cameraphone attempt at a close-up of the issue if you'd like to take a look. Otherwise, I love the idea and the simplicity of this case. It'll do for now, and I'll probably print off another later when I have time and put the audio hole in the right place.

Nice one!

--K
by b455x » Thu May 24, 2012 1:55 pm
Wow, this seems genius to me :-)
Simple and cheap solution for everyone...
I will try one as soon as I get my Pi!
by johncoles » Thu May 24, 2012 2:53 pm
Love this case! I moded it today to have the RPi logo as the vent. Here are some photos of the mock up:

My RPi is on its way to me so once I get it I will be modding the case and making it all fit. Hope this is OK with the original author and if E wants I shall send him over my PDFs so that he can use them.
by MrBunsy » Thu May 24, 2012 4:28 pm
Not quite as expertly made as some of yours, but functional! (old atom server in steel computer case, new pi server in cardboard :D)

by surpher » Thu May 24, 2012 5:45 pm
Looks like you need to make some allowances for board thickness.
by MrBunsy » Thu May 24, 2012 7:22 pm
Yeah, unfortunately I didn't realise that till after I'd nearly finished. I might try again another time!

Edit:

Nope, it's my inability to follow simple instructions. Fixed!:

by E » Thu May 24, 2012 8:03 pm
liz wrote:Oh - VERY nice. Do you have a Twitter handle, E, so I can credit you there too? I'll pop this on the front page and tweet about it tomorrow.

I was blown away to see it on the front page this evening! Many thanks! Sorry, no I don't do the Twitters I'm afraid. I probably should, but I hate typing!

I really wasn't expecting this much feedback this soon, so thanks people! I'm sorry not to reply individually to people - I'll have more time tomorrow, and also hopefully put up a tweaked version for download. Really pleased people are finding them useful :)
by natstott » Thu May 24, 2012 8:41 pm
The PDF is a great idea, I fancy printing it onto overhead transparency sheets when my Pi arrives. Now I think about it, why do I still even have a stock of them?

As a thought, how about making the original drawing file open source, so anybody can tweak it, or even scale it for different thickness cards?

I would want to add text and pictures maybe to mine before printing it. It looks like the text comes out on the inside of the case as standard, while you might want to put the port labels and such on the outside by reversing it.
by philipm » Fri May 25, 2012 8:27 am
Nice idea. Mine should show up any week now. I look forward to the final release of the PDF.
by surpher » Fri May 25, 2012 11:31 am
I did a paintover to show some adjustments I think are needed.
by captainwebb » Fri May 25, 2012 12:24 pm
Cardboard Punnet's a great idea, but isn't it inside-out?

A bit of mirror-imagery on the side and end designs, and making the base the outside, would mean that the port labels would be visible. It would also allow for the addition of some artwork on the lid.

Perhaps something to consider when the dimensions are all resolved.
by E » Fri May 25, 2012 2:51 pm
Ok, I hope I'm replying to the right people with the right replies...

Nb8k & kieranajp - Thanks and noted.

paddy2k - Nice idea - I like the Selotpe thought. I'll see what I can do.

Steep - I did toy with that idea, but thought it might be a bit hard to cut out. If you've got the skills, then sure go for it! I like your Lemon Pi adaptation as well.

johncoles - Mod away! It's really interesting to see what people are doing with it.

natstott - Thanks, and yes once the measurements are nailed down for the standard PDF version I'll release it as a SVG as well for easier modding.

surpher - Thanks for the useful paintover. Certainly the hinge edge would be better a card thickness higher. I don't have an issue with the other measurements on my own cases - did they not fit well for you?

captainwebb - I personally prefer the outside plain, but as quite a few people have made similar requests I will put the labels on the outside on the next version.

Thanks to Andrew K who has put up a PDF based on Punnet, using measurements from a real Pi, I can now use that to make any adjustments. So hopefully the next version shall be a perfect fit! As I've already said, I'll put the labels on the outside as well, which will obviously also mean you can print whatever else you like on as well. Also a few more instructions on the printing size and cutting. I'll hold off on a transparent version for now, as I'm not sure how good it would look, but if someone wants to give it a go, please do.

I've just had a book arrive from Amazon, and the standard cardboard packet they use looks just the right sort of size and thickness for perhaps making a tough version of the Punnet.
by E » Fri May 25, 2012 4:58 pm
My printer has just run out of ink :x so it may put a bit of a delay on the next version, as I'd prefer to test assemble it before I post the new PDF.
by ukscone » Fri May 25, 2012 5:00 pm
E wrote:My printer has just run out of ink :x so it may put a bit of a delay on the next version, as I'd prefer to test assemble it before I post the new PDF.

do you have any liquid gold you could use to refill the ink cartridge? it's cheaper than printer ink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator