Berry Box - The Transparent Case

106 posts   Page 2 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5
by Enlightenment » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36 am
Stackable Raspberry Pi Case

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19978
by bruceberry » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:26 am
Hi Bigaxe,

Could you post a link to the GPIO board you had in mind? We are open to the idea of a case that includes space for a GPIO board, but I am not aware of any aside from the gertboard which as far as I am aware is not stackable. If a popular stackable GPIO board arises we will consider producing a case with space to accommodate it.

I noticed your stackable case on thingiverse the other day and wandered if you had thought of any uses for a raspberry pi cluster?

Regards,

Bruce

PS Hans, Thank you for your comments. Patrick really knows his stuff, without him this would not be possible.

PPS Hans, I LOVE the lego blocks you posted on Thingiverse.
by bruceberry » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:40 pm
Yesterday we received a better quality prototype of the Berry Box than the ones we have had done previously. We are satisfied enough to share some pictures with you, and here they are!

It still needs a bit of cleanup to look pretty, which will happen over the weekend. Having a good prototype of something you plan to make, always povides a new perspective from which to explore the design. As an example, we have already found it to be very useful when discussing the mould with the workshop.
by bruceberry » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:54 pm
Hello again,

We got the camera out again today and took some more photos of the prototype.

We also began to have some fun with what is quickly becoming our favourite feature of the Berry Box™ :)

We are almost done with final costings, so expect to see our crowd funding page in the next couple of days... our website will also be live at about the same time!

Bruce and Patrick.
by E » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:57 pm
Clever and involving Lego - nice work :)
by bruceberry » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:10 pm
Thanks SiR :)

We had some more fun yesterday when tasked with making a video for our crowd funding page (which will be up soon). So I'd like to introduce the star of the show:

by Ravenous » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 pm
That looks like a cross between 2001 and Johnny 5...
by Ferret141 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:17 pm
I like where this is going.
by pygmy_giant » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:38 pm
Like the industrial look - I anticipate dremmeling out a project box and so can see the attraction of a ready-made solution for around £5. What would really float my boat would be a case with a mini-breadboard on top and battery pack underneath that is strong enough to withstand moderate abuse. If I were designing it I would add threaded holes for fixing on all faces.
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by pygmy_giant » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:49 pm
Hey - what happens if you stand on it (with one leg balancing) ? - that would impress me - can it support one man's weight? What if you drop it from shoulder height - could it absorb shock and protect the Pi? Not so daft specs if you intend it to be used for robot projects.
by davesedar » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:52 pm
I'll certainly be ordering one when available.

Must get my son's Lego Technics out of the loft.

Any thoughts on how it should be installed in a car?

[Yes I know it's not e-marked, but nor are sat-navs]
by patberry » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:42 am
Ravenous said:

That looks like a cross between 2001 and Johnny 5...

Thanks for the compliment, Ihope it is one... ;)
by patberry » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:42 am
Ferret141 said:

I like where this is going.

Thanks for your support :)
by patberry » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 am
pygmy_giant said:

Like the industrial look – I anticipate dremmeling out a project box and so can see the attraction of a ready-made solution for around £5. What would really float my boat would be a case with a mini-breadboard on top and battery pack underneath that is strong enough to withstand moderate abuse. If I were designing it I would add threaded holes for fixing on all faces.

I really like the breadboard idea(!), we will definitely consider it, I can't promise it for our first BerryBox though. A battery pack to make the R-pi mobile is also on our list for the next model(s). Having thread holes on all faces would be very expensive to injection mould, but you could use self tapping screws if you want to fix it on other faces then the bottom.

Thanks for your support and suggestions!
by patberry » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:51 am
pygmy_giant said:

Hey - what happens if you stand on it (with one leg balancing) ? - that would impress me - can it support one man's weight? What if you drop it from shoulder height - could it absorb shock and protect the Pi? Not so daft specs if you intend it to be used for robot projects.

Mhmmm, I don't know but we will try it out, maybe not with the prototypes though. The drop from shoulder height seems feasible, but again we will have to check this. We will let you know the reslults with recorded proof!
by patberry » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:05 am
davesedar said:

I'll certainly be ordering one when available.

Must get my son's Lego Technics out of the loft.

Any thoughts on how it should be installed in a car?

[Yes I know it's not e-marked, but nor are sat-navs]

Thanks for your support.

Yes we also had loads of fun with Lego Technics and I think there is more to come.

Apparently the R-pi will be CE marked, please see http://www.trustedreviews.com/.....-mark-test.

On which aspekt of installation in a car are you intrested?
by pygmy_giant » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:39 am
Would industrial velco be useful in a car?

I notice that there are alot of in-car entertainment screens available – is that where you are headed davesedar?

Myself, I got 2 breadboards from china in the post today – about £1 each – they are Pi sized and self adhesive. The first is stuck to the lid of my project box and the second will mount on a bracket at right angle"s like a vintage telephone switchboard. The Pi"s box will sit atop another containing 6x 5v lipo bateries. There are rubber corner protectors on the battery compartment serving as feet and I will use industrial velcro to attach this whole assembly to my robot chassis.

I guess sticky breadboards and industrial velcro could be attached to any commercialy available PI case where a flat unvented surface is available.

I can see that the beauty of patberry's modular lego based system is that it could clip onto a second battery box should one be produced in future….
by davesedar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 pm
pygmy_giant said:

Would industrial velco be useful in a car?

I notice that there are alot of in-car entertainment screens available – is that where you are headed davesedar?

Thanks for the velcro idea.

I was hoping to use the AV_IN socket on this sat-nav as a screen (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2609.....5998wt_952) in the car
by davesedar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:27 pm
patberry said:

Apparently the R-pi will be CE marked, please see http://www.trustedreviews.com/.....-mark-test.

On which aspekt of installation in a car are you intrested?

Happy with the CE-marking, but officially after-market electronics installed in a european vehicle needs to comply with the e-mark (http://www.in-carpc.co.uk/legi.....lation.htm).

Doubt it will bother too many users.
by Ferret141 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:22 pm
patberry said:

pygmy_giant said:

Like the industrial look – I anticipate dremmeling out a project box and so can see the attraction of a ready-made solution for around £5. What would really float my boat would be a case with a mini-breadboard on top and battery pack underneath that is strong enough to withstand moderate abuse. If I were designing it I would add threaded holes for fixing on all faces.

I really like the breadboard idea(!), we will definitely consider it, I can"t promise it for our first BerryBox though. A battery pack to make the R-pi mobile is also on our list for the next model(s). Having thread holes on all faces would be very expensive to injection mould, but you could use self tapping screws if you want to fix it on other faces then the bottom.

Thanks for your support and suggestions!

I have an idea for the future. What if you have a nut or threaded tube that can be popped into the same hole as the lego pins. Keeps the design of the box as is (although you may have to incorporate a notch somewhere to stop the pins/nuts from spinning).

I'm awfully tired so I'll stop there; I figured I would note my idea down before I forgot. I can draw a picture tomorrow if you didn't manage to get it yet.
by patberry » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 am

Happy with the CE-marking, but officially after-market electronics installed in a european vehicle needs to comply with the e-mark (http://www.in-carpc.co.uk/legi.....lation.htm).

Doubt it will bother too many users.

Thanks for the info about the e-mark davesedar. We will be looking a bit more detailed

into elektromagnetic radiation of the raspberry-pi, as this might influence our material choice as well.
by patberry » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:51 am

I have an idea for the future. What if you have a nut or threaded tube that can be popped into the same hole as the lego pins. Keeps the design of the box as is (although you may have to incorporate a notch somewhere to stop the pins/nuts from spinning).

Hi Ferret141,

the existing holes for the lego pins are actually also clearance holes which can be used to mount the Berry Box™ with M4 screws.
by Ferret141 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:25 am
But is there enough clearance under the Pi baord to accomodate the nut and screw protusion. Or is the screw head meant to be under the board.
by pygmy_giant » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:09 am
Interesting - could/is there holes to line up with meccano type construction kits?
by Ferret141 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:26 pm
I remember reading it was part of their design.