Cases for the Raspberry Pi

867 posts   Page 31 of 35   1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
by JRV » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:13 am
Nick S said:

Here is my concept for a Raspberry Pi case

Since there are no mounting holes in the PCB, my thought is to hold the edges using rubber panel grommets.  With ports on all sides, I decided against sides on my 'case'.

The top and bottom panels will be 3/16" thick opaque blue acrylic that I have left over from another project.

The acrylic panels are countersunk for #4-40 flat head machine screws.  On top of the grommets are female threaded spacers.  The fasteners from the SD card side of the board will compress the grommets and hopefully hold the board in place.  Although there are no moving parts in the RasPi to worry about, the rubber grommets should also provide some shock absorbtion in the event I drop it.  Dimensions are 3.00" x 4.00" x 1.21" thick.

It is modeled in Solidworks, I used the RasPi model posted by Tronetix.  The last image below is a cross section view.

Hello neighbor

My idea for a case is very similar to yours, except I am planning to make the base larger to fit the 100mm Vesa mount on the back of my monitor.
by C4B7 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:17 pm
Hey! I'm making a case for the Pi too! It will be injection molded and I'll be shipping world wide (minus the countries on the USA no trade list)

It is still in development, and I'm improving it each day.  Check it out at http://www.indiegogo.com/Pibox. I'll be getting some better pictures in  a little bit.

It will have plastic clips, I'm trying to design the clips so the case can be opened and closed millions of times. Eventually there will be a metal versa mount but I'm just working on the case for right now.

My forum post is here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....8;search=1

Feel free to let me know what you think!

by abishur » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:36 pm
C4B7 said:

Hey! I'm making a case for the Pi too! It will be injection molded and I'll be shipping world wide (minus the countries on the USA no trade list)

Poor, poor cuba :-(
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
by HansH » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:28 pm
C4B7 said:

It will have plastic clips, I'm trying to design the clips so the case can be opened and closed millions of times.

Opening and closing it milions of time... that is a bit overdone..
by rmm200 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 pm
I don't know whether to blame the Pi delays, or topics like this - but with time on my hands you got me interested in the 3D printing process so I can make my own case.  Now I am half way through building my own reprap printer... Likely to have a case printed by the time I get my Pi.
by medri » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:07 am
Is there still no CAD-Model (I'm not talking about the Google-sKetchup) of the final RPi, so we can design accurate cases?
Or did I miss it?
Cheers,
medri
by E » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:31 pm
This just popped into my head this evening, as possibly quick and cheap way to make a Bramble cluster case? I whipped out the tape measure and I think it should work, but hey, I'll admit I've not really thought it though ;)

Anyway, you'd need something like this cheap CD rack - the type that holds the cases at the edges..

...and a load of old jewel CD cases.

Take the back off the CD cases, so you just have the top covers, flip them over and stick a Pi in the middle with some double sided foam tape. Then slot them in every-other slot in the CD rack. The arms of the CD case cover mean there is space down the back for wires, and just drill a hole in the back of the CD rack as an cable outlet. You could probably fit the network hub in there as well, and maybe slide a second CD rack over the front to make it dust proof.
by jbeale » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 pm
In case it hasn't been mentioned here before, here's an impressive (painted, machined aluminum) case by Brian Garvey.

"Raspberry Slice" Deluxe case for use with the Raspberry pi mini computer board.

feature=player_embedded
by Nick S » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:39 am
Jim Manley, JRV, thanks for the comments. JRV, nice to see there's some Minneapolis presence around here!

I picked up the hardware I needed today and put the sides together.  I think I will try flame polishing the edges (after testing on a scrap piece first).  The grommets seem to work as planned. It has a bit of a funny feel to it.  Without sides it feels like a sandwich in your hands.

Now if that RasPi will just show up on my doorstep...

by teko » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:20 pm
Hi everybody,

we are an Italian Company producing more than 50 years plastic and metal enclosures for electronics .

Since Rasperry PI was  launched on the market , our customers are asking more and more frequently to design a suitable case

to house this mini-PC so we decided to follow their demands  by developing our own version.

The key features are the following:

-          Material : plastic V0

-          Color: initially white and  blue transparent

-          Simple snap on closure and possible fixing by one screw for greater security.

-          Aeration slots on the bottom and on the top to ensure the proper air circulation.

-          Four feet on the bottom always to guarantee  a good ventilation.

-          Recessed area on the top part to label application.

-          Screwless fixing of the board inside the case.

-          Availability of accessories for VESA mounting on the back of monitors .

When ready to sell, our case will be available across our network of international Distributors:

Do You have, perhaps, some advice for our project?

If any, we would please to hear from You soon.

Thank You

Gio

by medri » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:49 pm
Why does everyone have the 3D-Model of the Pp but me?

Where can I get it or who can send it to me?
Cheers,
medri
by SN » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm
search is your friend - someone kindly posted links to a large number of versions - I am not going to do the search for you but if you look for blender or maybe callera that might find it
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by E » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:42 pm
teko said:

Nice design - I like the the way the lip protects the ports that protrude, and it also gives it a cleaner silhouette. From what I've read, I don't think much ventilation is necessary, as the Pi is basically a phone. I would think protection form liquids and dust would perhaps be more useful.
by Wozza365 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:22 pm
Hi,

Has anyone considered a larger case that perhaps has some added features?
I've been trying to work something out that would work in my WD Elements case Which would include a 2.5" HDD (powered by USB), a 4 port USB HUB (from the other USB), One of which will be on the side which can power a USB fan (http://www.enermax.co.uk/urveg.....s.html?L=0)

Has anyone else thought of something similar, I'm pretty useless at the modding and stuff, but i just thought it would be a good idea

I can fetch up a quick diagram on Paint or something for now as i drew it on paper
by Wozza365 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:33 pm
Although i said no fan :( you could prop one of those mini things inside like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-.....2568dd70e2

by Jim Manley » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:44 pm
Wozza365 said:

Has anyone considered a larger case that perhaps has some added features?

I"m going to build one with stub cables to route all of the ports to one side, and I may allow room for a powered USB hub, possibly to include an AC supply big enough for the Pi and several amps" worth of USB devices.  It"s most likely going to be modeled after a Pelican Micro case with a clear top typically used to carry electronics/tools (the red color is due to a removable liner):

Pelican Micro 1060 CasePelican Case
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by Ferret141 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 am
I saw in your diagram you had mentioned you will use sd card slot as a card reader. You do realise you need an sd card to boot the pi?
by texrat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:19 am
I'd like to design cases as well, but have not been able to find specs yet and no idea when I'll be able to get an actual board.

Anyone have links to the necessary info?

Never mind, found!  http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....nical-data
by MrDyne » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:26 am
I'm going to use an old SNES case for my Raspberry Pi.

A friend gave me all his SNES stuff a while back and it was in better shape then mine. So I gutted my old SNES cuz it was dead anyways from the power jack being busted out.

Snes Case

I don't know why everyone hates the North American SNES case. I think it looks better then the PAL version but that mite just be because I grew up playing on the US one in the picture.

Now a SNES may seem kind of big for a tiny computer like the Raspberry Pi but after you cram in all the extra stuff there mite not be enough room.

USB Powered Hub, Wifi Adapter, Bluetooth Adapter, External USB Hard Drive, and my USB SNES Controller adapter. Which I will wire to the SNES's original game pad ports.

USB SNES Adapter

I hope Linux supports this adapter.
"USB Input Device." "HID-compliant game controller"

Star Fox ftw!!

I mite grab one of those stupid sports game cartridges from the local pawnshop for a few cents, gut it and replace the game label with this...

SRPI!!
MSpaint FTW!!

~MrDyne
by Wozza365 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:17 am
Ferret141 said:

I saw in your diagram you had mentioned you will use sd card slot as a card reader. You do realise you need an sd card to boot the pi?

Yes, I will install the OS onto the hard drive rather than the SD
by chickey » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:54 am
You can't boot from the hard drive though.  From reading the Pi has to boot from the SD card, you can then launch and run the OS from the hard drive but not sure if it still needs to reference anything on the SD card during operation.  Would be a pain to swap the SD cards every time you need to reboot and probably give a decent amount of wear on the slot too.
by Wozza365 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:22 am
chickey said:

You can't boot from the hard drive though.  From reading the Pi has to boot from the SD card, you can then launch and run the OS from the hard drive but not sure if it still needs to reference anything on the SD card during operation.  Would be a pain to swap the SD cards every time you need to reboot and probably give a decent amount of wear on the slot too.

Well, from what ive been reading, there are a few people working on a BIOS for the Pi, so they are probably going to put in boot options
by Wozza365 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:30 am
Wozza365 said:

chickey said:

Well, from what ive been reading, there are a few people working on a BIOS for the Pi, so they are probably going to put in boot options

And if not, then ill just use it as the boot drive and a HDD too, then ill just cover up the SD slot from the case
by GizmoB73 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:59 am
Here are a couple of pictures of my first case.

I used an old box that my business cards from work come in.

The plastic is a little brittle when cutting, so there are a few splits.

Here it is from above:

Here it is with the lid on:

Ventilation was a problem with the lid on, the heat would build up over 3 or 4 hours,

so I now use it without the lid.
by Wozza365 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:33 am
Thats pretty decent

how about making drilling some holes into the top cover to allow for ventilation?

You could make them into a pretty pattern :)