Printable cases (using OHP film)

19 posts
by eric_baird » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:49 pm
Does anyone remember the cutout models that they used to have on the backs of Weetabix packets?

http://www.brightontoymuseum.c.....icromodels

For a twist on the "cardboard case" idea, you could design a one-piece "foldable" paper Pi-case design, and print it out on transparent overhead projection (OHP) film before cutting it out with a scalpel or craft knife (or good scissors).

That stuff is really tough, and if you fold it, and run over the crease with a rounded object a few times to flatten it, it really takes a sharp edge and holds it. I've used laser-printed OHP film cutout designs for printing custom packaging for books, and once you have a folded box made out of the stuff, the edges can be really very strong.

So I figure, if someone does a vector-art RPi case template, it could be as clear or coloured as they like (solid red areas, clear windows, complex lattice peek-a-boo regions), it could have all the necessary port cutouts clearly marked, and it could be distributed as a PDF.
by crundy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:21 am
That's a really good idea. Plus if someone doesn't have access to some printable acetates then they can get some thin cardboard and print the same design onto that.

It's good for an interim case. Any takers for the design?
by eric_baird » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 pm
A couple of caveats with using OHP film: Instead of basing the design on the Pi board's actual size, include an extra fraction of a millimetre to allow for the surface contraction on the inside of a fold when you bend the film though 90 degrees (and for human construction tolerances).

If your box base base turns out to be a quarter-millimetre bigger than necessary, it'll probably still look okay. Not quite so super-duper-impressive snug, but okay. A box base that comes out a quarter-millimetre too small after folding, OTOH, is likely to look a bit icky. There's no "squeeze tolerance" or "play" with OHP film, as there normally is with, say, corrugated cardboard or card

Also, decide whether you want your printing on the inside or outside (depending on whether your artwork in more likely to be scuffed by the board or by what's on your desk, and on whether you want a more matte or more glossy finish). If you're printing on the inside surface, remember to reverse the design! :)

I think a lot of schools will probaby have the facility to photocopy onto acetate, for OHP purposes ... in which case you could send them the template printed on paper (along with the board's promotional materials), and they could photocopy it onto OHP film themselves. Printing directly from PDF or a vector artformat would be better, but require more knowledge.

I think we might be coming back to the issue of needing a central file area for the R-Pi project, not just for images and 3D-model files, but for other file formats like PDF, Inkscape / etc.
by timgiles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:49 am
Great idea, cant wait to see what you come up with.

11 + 11 = 22 ??
by tzj » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 am
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)
by timgiles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:57 am
Thanks TZJ - printed, cut and stuck using thick paper. Certain looks like a FAB fit.... will just have to wait until I have my second RPi and then replicate in thick card or OHP film.
by tzj » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:48 pm
ya welcome, glad to have helped :D

I may fix the USB section and line colour in the future.
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)
by eric_baird » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:29 pm
Hmm, possibilities.

How about an image of the Pi's top on the top of the case, its bottom on the bottom of the case, and its sides on the sides?

Or ... people could use the template and add pretty much any design as a background.

No two the same! :D

That could be quite cool as a promotional picture: an array of assembled R-Pi boxes, all different colours and designs. Again, maybe a kids' competition idea.
by tzj » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:17 pm
I"ll get a coloured example knocked up by the end of the day, hopefully.
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)
by tzj » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm
apologies for the lack of the colour one but i have revised the blank one.

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/raspber.....revision-1
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)
by grumpyoldgit » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 am
To my mind, this is a lot more fun and in the spirit of the Pi than the £40 3D printed designs. All I need now is a Fairy Liquid bottle and some sticky backed plastic to introduce into the mix, and I will have something that might get me a Blue Peter badge!
by crundy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 am
Grumpyoldgit said:

To my mind, this is a lot more fun and in the spirit of the Pi than the £40 3D printed designs. All I need now is a Fairy Liquid bottle and some sticky backed plastic to introduce into the mix, and I will have something that might get me a Blue Peter badge!

Don't forget the empty toilet roll holder.

I do wonder how many households had their full bottle of fairy liquid emptied down the sink and their bogroll all flushed after the kids watched Blue Peter.
by grumpyoldgit » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:31 am
Get down Shep!
by S0litaire » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 pm
in the spirit of re-cycling I've got a great new case...

Kindle 4 WiFi box. (Rough internal sizes)

2.5cm high x 5.5cm wide x 20.5cm

Big enough for the R-Pi plus cable routing to the front (has small cut out already)
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta
by Jim Manley » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:05 am
tzj,

This really is perfect - requires a minimum of materials, can be produced in large quantities very quickly, provides a sturdy, self-supporting structure that's stiff when folded up, supports the board via the connectors (assuming the fit is tight enough - I guess you'll find out as soon as you get an R-Pi), yet is transparent and splash-proof, and allows for labeling and further customization of graphics (protected when printed on the interior) by the builder.

Need to remember when printing to uncheck the "Scale to fit page" option that usually prints at 94% of actual size to ensure that everything stays within the printable area of the sheet, which is not a problem with this drawing.

I would encourage the R-Pi distributors to include one of these already laser-cut with every kit as the default enclosure.  The laser cuts should retain small connections in enough places to allow the full sheet to be run through a builder's own printer to add custom labels and graphics, and then the case can be fully separated from the sheet with a knife or scissors.

Great job!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by tzj » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:08 am
thanks Jim :)

my plan was to make it ready for "manufactured printing", but another revision may have to be done for laser guides and probably a seperate one for the fold guides...

come to think of it, am a little iffy with the USB cover and the clearences for folds.

when the production board dimentions are confirmed, (knowing my luck) I"d be having to make another revision again... then it should be ready, hopefully.
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)
by JordyB123 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:19 am
Hmmm... These are off the Beta board dimensions? I have access to OHP but only once without getting on people's nerves. Are you sure the ports are open with enough clearance for ports with plastic on the sides? It seems like a lot of WiFi transmitters have a lot of bulky width, but it's probably thin enough to allow a secure connection. :D Great idea.
by tzj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:23 am
until I can test it or someone from the forums/foundation/distributors can test it with a production board, I can"t confirm a correct correct fit. :/
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)
by tzj » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:42 pm
just done a test piece using acrylic OHP film, its not as fogivving as card I must say, its a bit more alkward to bend. long story short, its not as good fitting as I"d hoped. there"s probably a few flaws with the design and fixing them is going to be a pain :(

I got the film printed at college, cost 6p a sheet. to do it at home on an inkjet printer it would have cost 75p a sheet!

*sigh* back to the mouse driven digital drawing board :/
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)