Pibow and Adafruit low-profile Micro SD adapter

22 posts
by mnstrmnch » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15 pm
(Sorry if this is not the correct board to post this in).

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of using the Adafruit low profile micro-SD card adapter (http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/08/20/new-product-low-profile-microsd-card-adapter-for-raspberry-pi/) with a Pibow - it will not fit. This is the fault of the adapter and not the Pibow, as the adapter is too thick - much thicker than a normal SD card. I am quite disappointed with this product in fact, as I have seen other micro-SD card adapters much slimmer than this one.

Thanks,
Pete
by shuckle » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:38 am
Anybody has hints on case where this adapter fits ? It is abit too thick so that it does not fit into the element14 box either.
by Twinkletoes » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:46 am
Go out to your local DIY store and buy a file and take a millimetre off your PiBow?
by Dweeber » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:38 am
Didn't see them promoting the use of the card with a case (any case). The spring loaded mount/unmount function uses a carrier which can't be any slimmer than it already is and is one of the main features of the product.

I'm sure there are a number of applications where this type of card won't work (in some, it actually might be too short) but it is great for people who use the RPi in an open environment (no case, or just a mount to a board)
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com
by adafruit » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:50 am
hi folks!

we have a note on our site (we do not promote the product working with any specific case).

MicroSD card and Raspberry Pi NOT INCLUDED. Depending on the case from various manufacturers, the microSD card adapter may not easily slide in and out or may need modifications to the PCB or actual case. The microSD card adapter is meant for a stand alone board. We will compile a list of compatible cases in the future.

there are many many cases, we didn't have pibow cases until a week or so ago, so we could not test - but as we get more cases we'll test and provide a list.

generally speaking, any case will have some issue with add-ons, things are moving fast :)

limor
by guru » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:06 pm
adafruit wrote:There are many many cases, we didn't have pibow cases until a week or so ago, so we could not test - but as we get more cases we'll test and provide a list.

generally speaking, any case will have some issue with add-ons, things are moving fast :)

limor

We'll give it a test and see if there's an elegant way to make things work. We revised the Pibow so it plays nicely with the Pi Plate, maybe there's something we can do for the adaptor too :-)
by nonam09 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:59 pm
Guru, on a side note, you mentioned that the pibows have been adjusted to include the Adafruit Pi Plate; so does the Adafruit Pibow accept the Adafruit Pi Plate?
by sparky_132 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:30 am
From this linked post it appears the Pibow plays nicely with the pio microSD adapter. The pio adapter also has the advantage over the adafruit one of sitting flush with the edge of the RPi - smart!
I should caveat this by stating that I haven't verified this myself, I'm merely pointing out what others have said.
by A Future Pilot » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:45 pm
Also the PiO works with ModMyPi cases as well :)
by exartemarte » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:53 pm
A Future Pilot wrote:Also the PiO works with ModMyPi cases as well :)

Only just - you can close the ModMyPi case, which I suppose is what matters, but the adapter rests on the floor of the case, lifting the board clear of the pillars so that it sits at a slight angle.

The SB Components case, unfortunately, is less accommodating. For a mobile robot project I had bought the adapter, so as to have nothing sticking out of the side, and a clear SBC case to make it easy to connect to the gpio pins. Unfortunately the board won't clip into the bottom half of the case with the adapter in place so I have modified the case to accommodate it:

by guru » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:05 pm
nonam09 wrote:Guru, (*snip*) does the Adafruit Pibow accept the Adafruit Pi Plate?

The Adafruit Pibow is the same footprint as the normal Pibow, so it will work, yes :-)
by guru » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:14 pm
So, after testing with the Pio and the Adafruit SD stubby, they sorta-kinda work with massive caveats.

You'll have to place the SD card in the slot before closing the case, and don't make the screws too tight, as it will bow the base and put more pressure on the base and the Model B. It's not ideal, but it will work.

Someone has posted a modified base layer with a space for the SD on Thingiverse, which is great. Go community :)
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32200
by InactiveX » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 pm
I devised a workaround for the extra width that the Micro SD adaptor requires. I used the fibre rings that you get with a new motherboards, these things:

One ring was put on each corner screw, between the purple and transparent lower layer.

Click for larger image

Click for larger image

Click for larger image

The rings add just the right amount of extra for the Micro SD card holder. I'm very happy with this workaround - the extra width between the layers is not noticeable in normal use.
by sparky_132 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:48 pm
Nice idea. Thanks for posting pics too.
by guru » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:23 pm
InactiveX wrote:I devised a workaround for the extra width that the Micro SD adaptor requires. I used the fibre rings that you get with a new motherboards, these things:
*snip*

Nice hack InactiveX. Doesn't affect the lines of the Pibow too much either :-)
by 6677 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 pm
Those little washers are so handy, used em to fix some folding headphones once, they were cheap plastic which had worn down and made the hinge loose, chuck motherboard leftovers in, problem solved.
by pig » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:14 am
I needed a flat microSD adapter (same width as an SD card) so I couldn't use this. I found a guy on ebay that makes them and it works perfectly. He also makes a similar one especially for macbooks.

If you search for: "microSD short adapter"
on ebay you should find it (unless the seller changes their listing).
by exartemarte » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 am
pig wrote:I needed a flat microSD adapter (same width as an SD card) so I couldn't use this. I found a guy on ebay that makes them and it works perfectly. He also makes a similar one especially for macbooks.

If you search for: "microSD short adapter"
on ebay you should find it (unless the seller changes their listing).

Is this the one?

(Your search string yielded no hits.)
by sparky_132 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:39 pm
No. That looks just like the adafruit and pio ones. Try dropping the quotes around the search. Two results were returned for me, both from seller 8thkeypattern from Australia.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290812842527
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290829009868

The first should sit flush, the second one has a tab protruding to facilitate removal.
by exartemarte » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:11 pm
Thank you. The first one looks like a useful device and it would have saved me the job of modifying a case, but it's bit pricey with postage to the UK - over £15.00 for a plastic adapter, which is more than three times the cost of the case.
by trailgnome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:26 pm
InactiveX wrote:I devised a workaround for the extra width that the Micro SD adaptor requires. I used the fibre rings that you get with a new motherboards, ...
The rings add just the right amount of extra for the Micro SD card holder. I'm very happy with this workaround - the extra width between the layers is not noticeable in normal use.

Thank you, @InactiveX, for the tip. My motherboard projects turned up no fiber washers. Off to the local hardware store. I picked up some white/transluscent #6 nylon flat washers, in a convenient 4 pack, $0.56. Perfect spacing to just barely clear the Adafruit adapter and disappear. The washers are ~1mm thick with id 1/8" od 5/16."
Now if the Pibow guys will make a convertible top for the times I want access to the innards. Guess it's simple enough to just leave the top off and bolt the remaining sandwich back together. I've got enough extra nylon washers to shim the bolts.
Fwiw, my Pi in its Pibow is mounted with industrial velcro to the back of a Motorola Atrix, vent holes unobstructed. Plenty of room for an Arduino next to it. You've seen the videos - many thanks to those who did the brain work so I could tag along. This setup allows carrying your Raspberry Pi away from home base.
by trailgnome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:58 pm
Clearly I wasn't looking at the Pibow when I typed the "convertible top" request. You can't even access TP1/TP2. Still like the case, but it's not the one to use if you need much more than GPIO access.
Feel free to design a modder's special, Pimoroni guys.