RPI and pico projector

7 posts
by mirors4 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:08 am
I am looking for case ideas to house my pico projector and raspberry pi that is running XBMC, I tried a VHS cassette, but it was to small. I would love to have a portable media center that I could setup anywhere, so I am open to suggestions for cases to do this with.

Thanks in advance
by Dalekmun2010 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:35 pm
I am working on a project with My Pi involving a Pico Projector, and I may be able to assist You.
For My project, I have decided to keep the Pi in a cheap plastic case for protection, and then place the Pi directly on the top of the projector. [See pic below]
I don't know what type of projector you are using, but given that You couldn't fit the Pi and Projector in a VHS cassette [I'm guessing You are talking about regular sized tapes, not the mini ones for camcorders] I have concluded that You may have a slightly larger, high quality projector [See pic below]
[I guess projectors have become significantly smaller since I bought mine 4 years ago, and even mine would fit with a Pi in a VHS]
If this is so, I would recommend mounting the Pi on the projector.
If not, and [As I just learned when trying to get My Pi and projector into a VHS cassette [Which turned out to be harder than I thought]] if You have something pocket sized that You couldn't get into the cassette for some reason [After looking at some more recent models I have found that most newer designs are thin and wide, I see how that would be troublesome for You] I'd say try to put it in a project box http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062285, or pretty much anything it would fit in. Be Creative! There are plenty of things You could put the devices in, Just look around your house, or in a dollar store.
If you posted the size of the projector I'm sure that people would be willing to give You ideas.
I know My advice isn't that helpful, but it's all I have to tell.
Yours Truly, Ryan Mitchell.
by toxibunny » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:46 pm
Make yourself a nice little case out of wood, and stick them both inside. :)

note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by mirors4 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:58 pm
I wanted to keep the theme movie oriented so I might stack two vhs tapes and glue them together and have a hole between them to run the wires through, I also just got a 1TB portable hard drive that I would also like to have in the case.

IMG_20120811_231859.jpg
IMG_20120811_231859.jpg (62.78 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
by alias_neo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:30 pm
mirors4 wrote:I wanted to keep the theme movie oriented so I might stack two vhs tapes and glue them together and have a hole between them to run the wires through, I also just got a 1TB portable hard drive that I would also like to have in the case.

IMG_20120811_231859.jpg

Do you know if the ports power external 2.5" drives? I can power this particular WD drive from my Android phone so I'm hoping the Pi might do it, that would be great.
by itimpi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:15 pm
alias_neo wrote:Do you know if the ports power external 2.5" drives? I can power this particular WD drive from my Android phone so I'm hoping the Pi might do it, that would be great.

If you mean the Pi ports, then no! They provide nowhere near enough power for a 2.5" HD being limited to 140mA per port.
by fhlipZero » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:12 pm
i'd recommend one of these guys, been using one to power ipod speakers for a while, works great on my pi, and i even rigged it up to a cheap rc car, they hold great charge and seem to take abuse well, might be a perfect supply for your pico pi
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6000mAh-USB-Por ... v4exp=true