Lego Lord of the Rings case

3 posts
by Kasona » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:44 pm
I received my Raspberry Pi on Friday and was very happy with how easy it was to get a basic XBMC setup working. I decided to leave this Pi set up as the HTPC for a while, which meant I needed to build a case for it. I considered building a basic Lego box case, like I've seen plenty of others do, but I wanted something different. I also wanted something that would help the (already diminutive) Pi "disappear," basically I didn't want something that was obviously a computer or a strange box with wires sprouting from all four sides.

As a big Lego fan, I already have a couple Lego displays set up around my TV, most notably for Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, so if I was to "hide" the Pi in Lego it made sense to start with something there.

I found that the Raspberry Pi board's Lego dimensions (7x11 studs) were only slightly larger than the interior of the new Lego Lord of the Rings Weathertop model, but easily smaller than the Lego model's exterior dimensions. I then renovated the Weathertop model to house the Pi, basically completely rebuliding the interior of the model, while trying to preserve as much of the exterior detail as possible.
raspi lego in progress (Small).jpg
final display
raspi lego in progress (Small).jpg (49.73 KiB) Viewed 5536 times

The result is a great looking Pi case that easily blends in with my Lego display. The Pi is securely held in place so that plugging cables in and out is not a problem, but the finished model is also not obviously a computer either.
raspi lego display (Small).jpg
in progress
raspi lego display (Small).jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 5536 times

oh, and here's the original Lego model that this is based on. http://thelordoftherings.lego.com/en-us ... /9472.aspx
by liz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:04 pm
Absolutely love it. I'll try to feature this in the next grab bag we put on the front page - it's fantastic. Well done!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by forumisto » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:00 am
very freak