Why not slightly larger cases?

19 posts
by doveman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:37 pm
The standard cases I've seen all have the SD card hanging outside the case, which seems like a daft idea really and the number of reports from people who say they've broken the SD card/port seems to bear that out. Why not make the cases slightly larger so that the majority of the card is enclosed, as you only need a small bit of it extruding to be able to remove it?

It worries me so much I'm thinking of just buying a standard box from Maplins and cutting some rough holes in it for the cables. I haven't got the tools or skills to do a decent job but if it prevents breaking the SD card or the PI, that's more important than having a nice looking box.
by RaTTuS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:39 pm
only a few cases have been reported TBH , even a small hole will give you the same sort of issue - you can try one of the MicroSD mods - so you have no stick out bit
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by milhouse » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:08 pm
I'd be interested in a slightly larger case with added SD card protection (I somehow split the corner of a 32GB SanDisk but superglue to the rescue) and a case that also internally re-routes all of the connectors more conveniently, for example (audio/RCA/USB/ethernet/power/hdmi all on one side) but maybe that's just mad and only I'd buy it... :)
by scruss » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:15 pm
The PI Sandwichis plenty room, and cheap. It's not the most secure enclosure, but it will stop dust and stuff falling into your Raspberry Pi.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
by doveman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm
scruss wrote:The PI Sandwichis plenty room, and cheap. It's not the most secure enclosure, but it will stop dust and stuff falling into your Raspberry Pi.

Not if the dust comes sideways though ;)

If there's no nicely finished boxes available that will protect the SD card, I might just see if I can find an oversized box that will accomodate a USB stick as well, as if I'm leaving that plugged in permanently (to improve boot/run speeds) as well as the SD card, I might as well protect that and the port too. As I'll be using a hub, I don't really need to access the other port and I can just remove the lid (or maybe I'll work out a way to make the end removable) if I need to disconnect the usb stick or sd card.
by JohnCrow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:40 pm
I have the Technicase from PiWorks

http://piworks.co.uk/piworks/raspberry-pi-case.html

This has the sd card completely inside. Nice little case.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't
by doveman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:58 pm
Hey thanks, that's what I was looking for :)
by doveman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:52 am
Actually I take that back ;)

Looking closer, it seems that case is open which is not what I'm looking for. It's a shame there's not more pictures as I know it says the SD card is fully enclosed but it's hard to see that from the picture as it looks like the RPI is up against the far posts
by k4gbb » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:53 am
Take a look at the BUD case.
I got mine from Element 14.

It is open on all four sides, but has a slot in each side to hold a custom insert.
It is an easy task to drill/carve out openings in the inserts.
I have left the end with the SD chip open so that I can reach in with a pair of surgical clamps
and replace the chip. :ugeek:
The Grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but it still has to be mowed.
by doveman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:51 am
Thanks. I think I'm going to just try and find an old router or something, gut that and put the Pi in it, so that I can route all the cables to the rear. I might cut a hole in it so that I can remove the SD card or just leave it so that I have to unscrew the case to do that, as I don't plan to be removing the card much once I've set it up.
by geinux » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 am
by doveman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:45 am
Heh, that's pretty cool :)
by piglet » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:08 am
JohnCrow wrote:1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one does'nt

1 in 10 people appear to understand apostrophe's too. (sic)
by Burngate » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 am
If the SD card sticks out, it / the socket can get broken;
If the SD card doesn't stick out it's difficult to swap;

So the case needs a hinged lid to cover the sticking-out SD card.
Not seen any like that, but I'm sure someone could design one.

All apostrophes certified
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by Gary Littlemore » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:13 pm
by excollier » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 am

Definitely, a case of actions speak louder than words! Brilliantly simple.
by Grauhut » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:47 am
by Chinasaur » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:55 am
I totally agree that cases with the SD card hanging loose are deficient. I'm adding a VESA mount to replace the backplate of the Pibow case (couldn't wait for the rumored official VESA options to come out). The way I designed it, the VESA mount bar of acrylic is right behind the SD, so the SD is still exposed on the top face and accessible, but it is also fairly protected from bending. (I should get this lasercut piece from Ponoko soon and I can report on how it works and post the design to Thingiverse.)

This seems like a good general solution to me: design a case with tongues sticking out to protect the SD card from both top and bottom faces, and leave just enough of the SD side edges sticking out that it would still be easy to slide it in and out.

Unfortunately, modding the Pibow to have protection on the top face of the SD is impeded because the acrylic thickness they use is a little hard to find, so it is difficult to mod internal layers of the case without significant redesign/hacks.
by Chinasaur » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 am
Wanted to follow up: actually the acrylic thickness looks like 3 mm; a pretty standard thickness. Sorry for the earlier misinformation.

Also, after fiddling with my RPi in the Pibow a little, it seems clear to me that pulling the SD card out by the edges is a lot harder than gripping it by the faces. So it would probably be better to leave a corner of the SD card exposed, just enough to get a good grip by the faces, rather than leaving the edges exposed as I said above.