Antec 350 Media Center Mod

3 posts
by richard_c » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:23 pm
Hi

I have had a raspberry PI since launch, and have decided it use it to replace my main media center machine. I have recently moved up to the 512mb model, and have noticed how much better it is.

What I would like to do is mod the antec's case to hold the Pi, which should not be an issue. However the LCD screen inside the case has developed a fault, so I would like to replace it with a similar one that is compatible with the PI. If possible I would like this to be soderless (as I cant solder to save my life!)

I would also like to use the SATA DVD drive if possible with the Pi and connect the power up to the 350w psu. Where would be the best place for me to start.

Any Help would be appreciated, thanks
by ghans » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:12 pm
The only LCD screen modules which work with a Pi are HDMI ones.
Those are notoriously expensive. But prefab HDMI screens or TVs are cheap
nowadays. Get a SATA-to-usb-adapter , forum member mikerr posted success using those.
DVDs do only work from the command-line AFAIK , and DVD menus don't work.
If i was in your place i would NOT use a PC PSU. It is technically 100% feasible , but
i'd rather not fry myself or worse , the Pi.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by bonelifer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:49 pm
ghans wrote:The only LCD screen modules which work with a Pi are HDMI ones. ...

ghans

Except that's not the kind of LCD they are talking about. This type of LCD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD44780_Character_LCD

Try ebay and look for HD44780 especially one that has a board that supports either I2C or USB.
Location: http://www.phpbb.com/community/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=147848