MCM #83-14270 black case

5 posts
by jbeale » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:29 pm
I just got the MCM #83-14270 case, from this page: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14270

Four snaps hold the R-Pi PCB tightly, and the two halves of the case also snap together firmly (enough so it is tricky to pry them apart: you have to pull top & bottom apart and also pry loose the catches at the same time.) It is no wider than the minimum to accommodate the board, although there is a bit of headroom inside above the board. In common with most cases, the full-size SD card sticks out way beyond the case itself, which bothered me, so I got the Adafruit uSD adaptor which ends up nearly flush with the edge of the board. However, this is a PCB + uSD socket on top, so it adds the height of the uSD below the board requiring me to mill out a slot in the case bottom to enable it to fit. If I did not have access to a mill, I would have had to cut through the case bottom completely for this. I think my result is good: when inserted, the uSD card is protected as it sits recessed about 1.5mm from the plastic lip, but it still extends enough so a fingernail can actuate the "push-push" socket mechanism to eject it, whereupon it pops out for easy finger access.

While I was at it, I added a hole for a 5.5mm +5V power jack, and also cut out a large piece to allow room for the GPIO ribbon cable (no slot is provided in the case for this). After installing the 5V jack, I realized there was about 2mm of interference with the 220 uF capacitor at the power input, when the case was assembled. So I moved the cap and rewired it, but probably I should have put the 5V jack farther over. This was with the Gen 1 board, I don't know if that cap moved on Gen 2, but I assume not.

RPi-MCM-83-14270.JPG
3 modifications to MCM molded plastic case
RPi-MCM-83-14270.JPG (59.21 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
by ski522 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 am
Just blew that case warranty :D.

I have the same case, nice case, good price. Not sure why you're bothered by having the SD card stick out a bit though?
by mcmelectronics » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:20 pm
Thanks for the info! We'll put a note on the Adafruit micro SD adapter noting it won't fit into the Multicomp cases without modification.
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics
facebook.com/mcmelectronics
by jbeale » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:19 am
ski522 wrote:Not sure why you're bothered by having the SD card stick out a bit though?

It just looks fragile. I don't plan to drop stuff, but I can imagine dropping the unit, or dropping something else on top of it. I think that could crack the SD card open, or at least damage the SD socket. But with the uSD card + adaptor all inside, the same drop accident is much less likely to damage anything.
by fdion » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:38 pm
I have a white version of that case. I think it is possible to do a simple cutback for the GPIO, or a slot (starting it at the rca jack opening). I'm still debating one over the other. The case can actually close, with the GPIO ribbon cable in place:

http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/11/while-on-subject-of-cases.html

François
Francois
http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com - @f_dion