Punnet - a print at home cardboard case

146 posts   Page 5 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
by yo2ldk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:23 am
have tried someone to print this?
at mine the case doesn't fit at all, i reduced to 92%, is more good now,
but audio and video RCA is decalated... :(
by Steep » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:53 pm
You printed the wrong one, the OP posted an updated drawing later in the thread with the holes in the right place.
by neo7530 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:10 pm
Here is my version of the punnet... :)
Attachments
raspi1.jpg
raspi1.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
by Alkendi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:08 pm
Thanks very much E for your latest punnet pdf file. I got my Pi yesterday ( Yay! :D ) I bought an A4 sheet of mylar from my local stationers for 35p and laid it on top of your design and traced out the lines and I now have a rather pretty case. I did modify one of the fold over tabs so it slides into a pre-cut slit to hold the case closed. I have attached a pic
Attachments
mylar_punnet.jpg
Mylar punnet
mylar_punnet.jpg (43.94 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
The Mirror you fear to see yourself in
by walleee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:42 pm
Alkendi wrote:Thanks very much E for your latest punnet pdf file. I got my Pi yesterday ( Yay! :D ) I bought an A4 sheet of mylar from my local stationers for 35p and laid it on top of your design and traced out the lines and I now have a rather pretty case. I did modify one of the fold over tabs so it slides into a pre-cut slit to hold the case closed. I have attached a pic

ahh sticky pads! I had been wondering how to add a bit of weight to that to stop my think hdmi cable dictating where the case sat, that's perfectly simple!
by Alkendi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 pm
the sticky pads are actually Anti Skid Rubber pads, or rather one pad cut into 4. I got a pack of 56 for 59p from Home Bargain (UK) unfortunately I can't tell you anything more about them except they have a DIY logo on the pack
by chris_c » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:08 am
....erm is it just me or are more recent pi's slightly different

I used 100gm paper to try it out - its actually good enough for now even with the sellotape :o)

anyhow the RCA video jack hole seems to be 1 radius (of the jack) too far to the right
everything else like the mic jack hole and hdmi all seem to be okay just the video RCA
by E » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:20 pm
Sorry I've not been on the forum for a while to do any replies. I was very pleasantly surprised to see this thread still ticking away, and all the great mods going on :)

meilon wrote:Hi there E,

I have a problem with your SVG version. When I open it in Inkscape, the page is defined smaller than A4 (16.19 x 23.30 cm) and when I try to print directly from Inkscape I only get the left side for the USB and ethernet ports. If I save to a PDF and print from there (using the actual size with latest Adobe Reader), the two 5 cm strips are actually 4 cm width.

How can I mod your great Punnet correctly? I've ordered my RPi yesterday and I'd like to have the case ready for it when it arrives (RS estimation: 10 weeks :cry:)

Yes, I see what you mean. I originally designed it in Inkscape, then brought it in to Illustrator and exported the MK1 SVG and PDF from there. The SVG is fine in Illustrator, but as you say, it's shrunk in Inkscape. I can only assume it's some sort of import/export error. I'll see if I can sort it, but in the meantime, does resizing it in Inkscape work?

chris_c wrote:....erm is it just me or are more recent pi's slightly different

I used 100gm paper to try it out - its actually good enough for now even with the sellotape :o)

anyhow the RCA video jack hole seems to be 1 radius (of the jack) too far to the right
everything else like the mic jack hole and hdmi all seem to be okay just the video RCA

I've not been on the forum for a while, so I don't know if the newer run of Pi's are any different. The RCA jack doesn't seem to be always mounted exactly straight - would that account for it being a bit off?
by E » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:00 pm
Ok, it seems it is a known (but not to me!) quirk that SVG's from Illustrator are scaled down to 80% when opened in Inkscape. I've scaled it up and the MK1 SVG file should now be the right size in Inkscape, but it's now too big if you open it in Illustrator. Not much I can do about it I'm afraid, but I guess most people will be using Inkscape anyway.
by chris_c » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:08 pm
I think it was a "feature" of alpha 3 - mk1 works ok for me!

I made the circular holes square mind as cutting round holes is a pita :)

Also I enlarged the ethernet hold so the outer sheath round the plug can fit...
by secretreeve » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:16 pm
hmm this is a truely awesome case, not from a personal use point of view, but from a teaching point of view.

this sorta thing allows I.T and ART teachers to co-ordinate things, the IT teacher teaches programming and the art teacher can have thier students make the cases, there is so much potential for different designs and configurations its defiantly worthy of year 7's time. might be a bit simple for year 8 stuff, considering when i was in year 8 we was doing wax work lol. but yeah, i think i'll be using this case for my PI
by Alkendi » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:21 pm
chris_c wrote

I used a method I remembered from many many many decades ago when i was at in my 1st year of school...
I punched lots of holes with a sharp pin (be careful children) round the circumference of the 'holes' and then using a craft knife joined all the holes up leaving a smooth circular aperture with none of those annoying slips of the knife scarring the surface
by magarcan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:54 pm
Alkendi wrote:Thanks very much E for your latest punnet pdf file. I got my Pi yesterday ( Yay! :D ) I bought an A4 sheet of mylar from my local stationers for 35p and laid it on top of your design and traced out the lines and I now have a rather pretty case. I did modify one of the fold over tabs so it slides into a pre-cut slit to hold the case closed. I have attached a pic

Were can we found this file?
I have a laser printer at work, but I begin holidays in a few days :lol:
by bob_binz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:02 pm
Alkendi wrote:
chris_c wrote

I used a method I remembered from many many many decades ago when i was at in my 1st year of school...
I punched lots of holes with a sharp pin (be careful children) round the circumference of the 'holes' and then using a craft knife joined all the holes up leaving a smooth circular aperture with none of those annoying slips of the knife scarring the surface

ahhhhh....that's the trick!! right, onto my fourth printout!
by E » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:08 pm
magarcan wrote:

Were can we found this file?
I have a laser printer at work, but I begin holidays in a few days :lol:

It's on page 3 of this thread near the top, called the MK1.
by meilon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:30 am
Thanks E, the resized version worked great and I just finished my first edition Punnet.

For your next release, maybe you want to add some link bars (don't know the right word for it), so no gluing is required. I have an example, though. Look at this:
Image.

Maybe it's just a little bit more to cut out, but it is build faster (especially when testing different designs) and if one needs gluing, he could still do that. I have some of those cubeecraft cubes in my office, printed out on regular 80g/m² paper, and it just works fine!
by Fabryz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:06 pm
Very nice template, I just printed it on a 220g/m2 to test it out (even if I don't have a raspberry-pi :( )

Uhm, for some reason my printer didn't print 90% of all the dashed lines
by Fabryz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Fabryz wrote:Very nice template, I just printed it on a 220g/m2 to test it out (even if I don't have a raspberry-pi :( )

Uhm, for some reason my printer didn't print 90% of all the dashed lines

Tried to reprint, dashes are not appearing. Anyone else with this issue? Well, just remade them by hand

http://imgur.com/cddnf

However, some images of the process :ugeek: :

http://imgur.com/8YZVm,1nVui,wa7bH,NpSo ... Jj2W,bOh9f
by mac499 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:37 pm
I'm planning to make mine out of transparent plastic, (The stuff used to package things like cafetieres and kitchen gift tat.) It'll be nice to safely package the Pi but only nice to see it as nature intended it..
Cheers MAC
by chris_c » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:45 am
It's just occurred to my my local model shop sells sheets of plastic that are just under a(1) mm thick and can be easily cut and glued....
(I think they are to help with making custom model railway scenery)

...Tempted ..... but I *will* pre paint it first honest!
by wallacebiy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:33 am
Just a word of advice to people about inkjet printers ( which most people would be using )

Scaling on an inkjet is not 100% reliable and can vary by up to 2mm on A3 in the length from the width of the page.

So if anyone is experience slight mismatches , don't blame the pdf , have a check of the printer !!

( this is an issue we've discovered in work , after about 18 months of investigation , checking drivers , settings on individual machines etc. )

it's a limitation of inkjets that they can't guarantee scaling accuracy !!
by Blackrivergod » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:25 pm
Here is my effort using glossy photo paper on thin card. The punnet is a very nice, acurate template :)

I also printed a custum SD card label :P
by FX4 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:51 pm
This is great, any chance at an 8x11 version. It's a bit hard to come up with A4 stock here in the U.S..
by E » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:25 pm
FX4 wrote:This is great, any chance at an 8x11 version. It's a bit hard to come up with A4 stock here in the U.S..

I'd suggest downloading the .SVG version and changing the page size in Inkscape. It should fit ok if you delete the instructions or print them on another sheet.
by raspfly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:54 am
I have just received my RP and would love to have a simple case like this, but just have two doubts :

(1) If we have a paper / plastic sheet cut out to make a case for RP can static electricity create some problem for RP ?

(2) How do we fix RP inside the case ? Or is the case small enough to stop RP from moving inside the paper case ?