Home computer style case (keyboard case)

5 posts
by luafox » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:36 pm
I started computing back in the early 90s with a ZX Spectrum+ and later on an Acorn Archimedes 3000. It was the time of the typical home computers where the computer consisted of a more or less compact case including the keyboard. This style is almost completely gone now. I understand that it is not always the most practical case style, but I still like this design and I am wondering if really nobody else does. I think a keyboard style case would fit perfectly to the Raspberry Pi which - without being retro - tries to revive the computer feeling of that time. So I really wonder why the majority of the cases shown here are more or less looking the same - a tight fitting case which does not look very stylisch.

Unfortunately I have neither good graphic design skills, nor CAD skills, so I wonder whether anybody interested in desigening a compact keyboard style case specifically designed for the Raspberry Pi? I could imagine that the width of the case is roughly the size of a keyboard without numpad. The Pi could be mounted so that the SD-card is accessible on one side and the other connectors probably need to be extended to the back side by cables. This makes the design probably a little bit more complicated and expensive but still it would be a good alternative to the other case concepts.

So I would really like to see whether anybody can show us how a home computer could look like in 2012 (it does not need to look retro).

If you are - like me - not a designer, would you still be interested in a case like that?
by Steep » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 pm
I think we'll start to see more interesting cases as more folk get their hands on a RPi.

I've pretty much finished my proper case but it's functional not inspiring, I wanted to build an all in one camera system to fit a telescope and needed to keep the weight/size down. I'll post a picture of it when I've finalised which camera is going into it.
by Porchy12 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:58 am
Hi Luafox,

I have created a case that you are thinking of, but it may be around 50% of what you actually wanted, because it is kind of 'retro'

Or was it something smaller you had in mind?

(Inside, all the messy wires are to make sure all the ports are now outside the case, meaning you can permanently leave the case closed, unless you want to change distro, OS, etc..)

Cheers,

Porchy
Attachments
djthd.jpeg
Inside of the case
djthd.jpeg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
1qrzz.jpeg
What it looks like in use
1qrzz.jpeg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
by toxibunny » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:48 am
There's bamboo keyboards around that look pretty good for this sort of case design...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by luafox » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:26 pm
Yes, using the case of an old home computer is also an interesting idea. I would prefer a solution which would be available to more people, like a (free) case design you can download and use a 3D printing service to build your case.

Still the bamboo idea also sounds interesting - do you think about a specific case? I also had the idea of using a standard keyboard case and just mount the PI inside. But it seems that most cases do not offer the space necessary for the PI. I mean for the keyboard manufacture it would be just wasted space and the keyboard would become bulkier so I do not see a good chance here. Or is there a bamboo keyboard which offers more space? Otherwise I do not see the big advantage if compared to a plastic keyboard (of course, it looks nicer...).