Chance to influence PiHouse design

10 posts
by Mike Lake » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:49 am
We are about to run off the next batch of PiHouses and we welcome suggestions for any changes.

Have a look at http://www.ThePiShop.org/pihouse.htm and let us know what you think.
by itimpi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:03 pm
Have you thought of having a kit that has the VESA plate instead of the base plate? It seems to me that if you want to use the VESA plate then the base plate becomes redundant so making that available as part of the initial kit would allow you to offer a better price that buying it seperately?
by felix123 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:07 pm
I still think there are way too many holes.
by jamesh » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:22 pm
itimpi wrote:Have you thought of having a kit that has the VESA plate instead of the base plate? It seems to me that if you want to use the VESA plate then the base plate becomes redundant so making that available as part of the initial kit would allow you to offer a better price that buying it seperately?

I believe that's already available - see the link posted.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Mike Lake » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:56 pm
We have sold several hundred PiHouses but only about 6 VESA plates.

Now more and more people are seeing how the Pi can be used as a media centre (look at the various YouTube videos) I would hope that more people will go that way.

I am happy to remove holes - but at the same time I want to leave "enough". The question is: "what is enough?"

My thoughts are to remove the extra 3mm holes in the top along with the JTAG slot. Remove the corresponding holes in the base but leave at least two sets of mounting holes (we are using one set already!) and remove the curved holes which are decoration only. (Just me going OTT <g>)

I am happy to take suggestions and modify the CAD files before manufacture.

Still undecided about running off colours: possibly clear 70%, red 15%, green/yellow 15%.
by itimpi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:20 pm
jamesh wrote:
itimpi wrote:Have you thought of having a kit that has the VESA plate instead of the base plate? It seems to me that if you want to use the VESA plate then the base plate becomes redundant so making that available as part of the initial kit would allow you to offer a better price that buying it seperately?

I believe that's already available - see the link posted.

If you follow the Ordering link it appears that you can only currently order the basic kit (which includes a base plate), and then the VESA plate as an add-on. As the VESA plate is a significant fraction of the totla price of the PiHouse, I thought that one could reduce the premium by having a kit where it replaced the base plate.
by Mike Lake » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:22 pm
itimpi

You make a very good point and in an ideal world it would be great.

Trouble is, when ordering and stocking things (and stock is cash tied up in a different form) one has to make a finger-in-the-air guestimate of what mix will sell. I would love to stock all bits in all colours and sell any mix of bits anyone wanted - but the reality of life is that dead stock (and dead cash) would sit there for a long time. A lot of businesses go out of business with shelves full of stuff that just happens to be the wrong mix at any one time. (A lot also go out business when they confuse turnover with margin - generating turnover is easy, making enough margin to pay the wages and cover overheads is hard!)

The car industry has moved a fair way you giving you whatever mix of optional add-ons you want - I tried to argue that I did not want cruise control on my last car (never found a use for it on UK roads unless driving in the middle of the night!) so could I exchange it for something else? I got a flat "no."
by Blingjug » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:32 pm
Looking at the colours presented on the poll you have it seems to be missing the sleek black option.

I love your case design but for a few uses I don't want people to see the guts and just see a finished nice box that plugs into the TV, and not be able to touch/break bits on the sides.

I don't know if having sides would help stop dust build-up, but right now I can just imagine one of these being used as a media player and after 1 year having a thick cake of dust inside it on the top.

So, anyway... can we get a black option, with sides on it?
by Mike Lake » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:57 am
Blingjug

There are a few "all-round box" type enclosures out there and I am willing to bet the one the RPI Foundation bring out will be fully enclosed - so, I will leave sides for now.

The "gathering dust" argument is an old one. For those who remember valves the rule was "don't touch it even if it is covered in dust." I was using a very early PC belonging to a colleague from the valve era and I happened to open the enclosure - everything was covered in dust brought in by a fan. I offered to clean it out for him and his response was "over my dead body - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I have just glanced inside the Mini ITX box I have connected to my 3 axis milling machine and it is knee-deep in dust and worse! I bet that any PC more than two years old is in a similar state if people care to look <g>
by Mike Lake » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:44 pm
Just been reading that the JTAG connector, P2, isn't really a JTAG connector.

https://github.com/dwelch67/raspberrypi ... er/armjtag

Turns out that most of the usable JTAG lines are available on the GPIO port, P1.

No wonder my brain hurts! (For programming we are using the two-wire, high speed, PDI interface on the AVR on our Bakewell board - my ageing brain can hack two pins!)

It therefore makes sense to reduce the PiHouse (http://www.pihouse.org) hole count by one by taking out (filling in?) the JTAG hole.

Anyone got a desperate need for a hole to be left for the Pi's not-really-JTAG port?