Debian ARM on Raspberry Pi

136 posts   Page 3 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
by sebastian.tschen » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:36 pm
I'm having trouble getting a rt2571 usb wifi dongle to run on the pi. I tried to install the firmware-ralink package, which worked fine, but it seems that the kernel does not know the corresponding module rt73usb, which should existing according to this page:  http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/rt73#rt73usb

A 'lsusb' will list the device, a 'ifconfig -a' on the other hand will not. Tried several reboots too.

I will try fedora now, but if any of you guys has any suggestions on how to get this working on debian, I would be very glad.
by ukscone » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:56 pm
if it's any use to anyone i wrote a very mickey mouse(tm) bash script that is sort of a poorman's wicd. it is quite buggy but it might serve as a base for someone to write something better.

http://russelldavis.org/ZipitZ.....-201210.sh is the one i think is the best one to look at iirc but there are others in my filedump that might be useful.

look at the ewoc* and setup-wifi* scripts in http://russelldavis.org/ZipitZ2
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by watchman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:02 am
In anticipation of my Raspberry_Pi arriving soon I wrote the Debian image to a 4Gb SD card but now the card appears not to be recognised by either linux or windows - is this normal or have I killed the card?
by Montala » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 am
watchman said:

In anticipation of my Raspberry_Pi arriving soon I wrote the Debian image to a 4Gb SD card but now the card appears not to be recognised by either linux or windows – is this normal or have I killed the card?

Linux should certainly be able to 'see' the card and the partitions on it.

It isn't a class 10 card by any chance is it, as I know that some folk have had problems with them?

P.S. Welcome to the Forum! :)
by Joe Schmoe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:06 pm
Class 10 is, AIUI, only a problem on actual, real Pi hardware.  Which of course, (almost) no one has yet.
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by jamesh » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:33 pm
watchman said:

In anticipation of my Raspberry_Pi arriving soon I wrote the Debian image to a 4Gb SD card but now the card appears not to be recognised by either linux or windows - is this normal or have I killed the card?

I don't think you can 'kill' a card, but it does sound like the copying of the  image to the card has failed in some way. Try again!
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by john.mills » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm
Hello all,

I guess some of you will be familiar with this posting:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....hf-for-rpi

Mpthompson has succeeded with getting Debian to boot using ARM Hard Float (armhf) code on the Raspberry Pi. There are some quite impressive speed increases to be had from this compared to armsf.

The results of the benchmarks can be seen here:http://pastebin.com/2NZqH2yY

I believe that he is looking to receive some help and support from members of the Debian community in this project. If anyone wants to see Debian perform to the best of its potential on the Raspberry Pi hardware then I would ask that you lend a hand or offer information if you can.

Debian could become the hardware distribution of choice for the Raspberry Pi with performance like this and along with the community that makes Debian what it is. So again if anyone has some time or can offer some input then please do. How awesome would it be to have thousands of children around the world using credit card sizes computers running Debian!

Best regards and thanks,

John
by watchman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:13 pm
No, the card is a Sandisk class 4. The thing is, if the computer can't 'see' and mount the card, how can I write the image to it again?

p.s. thanks for the welcome..
by Montala » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:28 pm
I think that a card prepared purely for use under Linux will often be seen by Windows as an unformatted card, although as I mentioned ealier it should certainly be recognised by virtually any 'version' of Linux.

If the card is not even being allocated a drive letter, then you do indeed have a problem, although hopefully someone a lot cleverer than me might have some ideas.

Once the computer does actually 'see' the card, you can of course then just repeat the copying process, as James said.

Good Luck!
by hippy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:29 pm
JamesH said:

I don't think you can 'kill' a card

I've done it! Not exactly sure how and it was during developing my own direct driver for the card on a micro. It killed one card and it's non-responsive on my hardware and in readers, cameras and everything I've tried.

That was a 4GB SDHC but perhaps just coincidence. I was trying to read whatever the parameter was that specified supporting operating voltages and may have inadvertently changed operating voltage but not the actual voltage. It's either locked out or blown up!.

So it's possible, but I would have also thought not likely.
by watchman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 pm
I think I finally sorted the SD card problem. I had tried to write the image to 2 cards and both had become invisible to both linux and windows. I looked at them on the Mac and it did see them so I reformatted them on that and I could then see and mount them on the other systems again. I wrote the Fedora image to one card and the Debian image to the other so that I can compare them when I finally get my Raspberry Pi and I can now see files and folders on the cards. I used win32imager to write them but it took several attempts with the Debian image and only wrote properly after I had generated a Hashtag with the program - don't know whether that should be a necessity or not..

Thanks for the help..
by jojopi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:15 pm
One thing I have not seen much reference to in the various guides to flashing is the possibility that the OS might write old metadata back to the card after the write finishes, leaving the image in an inconsistent state.

For instance, on Linux it is essential that no existing partition on the card be mounted at the time of the dd.  Otherwise when the card is ejected some of the original data may be written back.  Modern GUIs can be incredibly evil and insist on mounting everything the instant it is inserted.

Also, it may be necessary to explicitly sync before unplugging.

Are there similar issues on Windows?
by clubbby » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:26 pm
Custom boot image

So, I have a qemu image I"ve created. I patched the kernel with http://thoronir.net/raspi-dev/.....-arm.patch

and built it and installed it in to a bootstrapped debian armel squeeze environment and booted it successfully with qemu with this command

qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -cpu arm1176 -m 256 -hda rootfs.ext2 -kernel zImage -append "root=/dev/sda" -serial stdio

Within the environment everything looks fine.

uname -a says:

Linux raspberry-pi 3.0.27 #1 Tue Apr 10 09:33:39 MDT 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

cat /proc/cpuinfo says:

Processor    : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS    : 229.78
Features    : swp half thumb fastmult edsp java
CPU implementer    : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant    : 0x0
CPU part    : 0xb76
CPU revision    : 7

Hardware    : ARM-Versatile PB
Revision    : 0000
Serial        : 0000000000000000

The image, as you can probably guess from the qemu command line is a raw ext2 partition. So my question is, when I get my pi can I just dd this image to the sdcard and boot it (in theory)? I know there is an debian image provided but my use will be headless so I don"t want the unnecessary packages in it.
by spennig » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:27 pm
You should be able to. You'll need an FAT partition on the SD card for the kernel.img and boot files, and a /lib/modules/.... that matches the bare-metal kernel. The boot and modules section from the Rpi github will give you these.

Then (from memory and assuming you have insmod nbd and substitute your image and mount points):

$ sudo qemu-nbd -c /dev/nbd0 /opt/misc/armel/rootfs_debian_rpi.ext4

$ sudo mount /dev/nbd0 /mnt/r

then, mounting the SD card, say (/dev/sdd2 is a formatted ext3/4 partition):

$ sudo mount /dev/sdd2 /mnt/s

$ sudo rsync -xa --numeric-ids /mnt/r/ /mnt/s/

# Now edit /mnt/s/etc/fstab and any other hardware specific files.

# Mounting by label may help

$ sudo umount /mnt/s

$ sudo umount /mnt/r

$ sudo qemu-nbd -d /dev/nbd0
by jojopi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 pm
In order for the above to work, /dev/sdX2 needs to be at least as big as rootfs.ext2.  Provided that is the case, can we not simplify the entire procedure to:
cat rootfs.ext2 >/dev/sdX2
resize2fs /dev/sdX2

There should be no need to modify fstab.
by NeilNjae » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 am
I've recently got hold of a RPi board and I'm trying to get a Netgear N150 wifi dongle working. (It's also known as a WNA1100 dongle). It uses the Atheros AR9271 chipset, and it appears that this chipset requires the ath9k_htc kernel module.

I'm using the Debian download from this site, so it's the 3.1.9+ kernel.

I've installed the atheros-firmware packages, which contains the ar9271 firmware. But I can't find the driver kernel module anywhere. The Debian wiki page on the module only has links for Wheezy (Debian 7).

Does anyone know where I can get hold of this kernel module?
by jamesh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:42 am
You might need to compile that one yourself for the moment. More wireless support is being added in the next release. I'll forward your post to the guy doing the release to see if it will be compiled by default.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by Montala » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:48 am
This has probably been mentioned before, but do we know if any more Bluetooth support is being added... or is that in place already?

Going by what Liz was saying, we can expect to see a updated Debian release later this week, which should be interesting!
by jamesh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:55 am
I did test bluetooth support which seemed to work fine, but I did build my own kernel where I turned it on, but I'll try and check the latest defaults.

It's not really a question of 'more' bluetooth support. I think its pretty much a standard I/F, so if one USB bluetooth adapter works they should all work (YMMV)
by NeilNjae » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm
@JamesH: Thanks. The stumbling block seems to be the lack of kernel headers. If you (or someone) could point me in the direction of the headers, I could probably compile my own driver module.
by jamesh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 pm
by jamesh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 pm
NeilNjae said:

I've recently got hold of a RPi board and I'm trying to get a Netgear N150 wifi dongle working. (It's also known as a WNA1100 dongle). It uses the Atheros AR9271 chipset, and it appears that this chipset requires the ath9k_htc kernel module.

I'm using the Debian download from this site, so it's the 3.1.9+ kernel.

I've installed the atheros-firmware packages, which contains the ar9271 firmware. But I can't find the driver kernel module anywhere. The Debian wiki page on the module only has links for Wheezy (Debian 7).

Does anyone know where I can get hold of this kernel module?

Just had some information from the guy who has been doing some work in this area. He's not had any luck with that one either, even with the module required (it's in by default in the new debian image - lib/modules/3.1.9+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k_htc.ko). He is hypothisising that there is a missing USB interfacing module (probably with a name like ath9k_usb) to go along with siblings for other buses like ath9k_pci and ath9k_ahb ... but there doesn't seem to be one in 3.1.9. We have modules ath9k, ath_9k_hw, ath9k_common, and ath9k_htc. (Perhaps ath9k_htc works only in whatever bus there is in an HTC device?)

If you make any progress - can you let us know?
by jamesh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:53 pm
Addendum. Does this USB device work in a standard Linux desktop?
by NeilNjae » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:07 pm
@JamesH: Thanks. I"m working on it now.

The dongle does seem to work in Desktop Debian, without anything extra beyond the installation of compat-wireless. I've asked on this thread on the Debian forums . This other thread there indicates that compat-wireless is all that's needed for Debian Squeeze.
by GizmoB73 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:54 pm
This is probably a noob question, so hopefully someone will be able to point out the error of my ways…

I have received the Edimax EW-7811Un in the post this afternoon and I'm trying to get it working with my Pi.

I have downloaded the drivers from the edimax website here:

http://www.edimax.com/en/downl.....00726.zip#

They contain a Powerpoint with instructions on how to compile the drivers, but that seems to fail with error:

/lib/modules/3.1.9+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.

I gather this is because I need to install the kernel headers, so I tried that and failed too.  I used:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

That failed with message:

E: Unable to locate package 'linux-headers-3.1.9'

Do I need to add something to my sources.list?

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Gary