Raspi magazine (/type publication/website)

11 posts
by barnaby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:00 pm
Hi everybody,

On another thread someone mentioned that an online raspi magazine with articles about programming it on all levels and hardware tips would be a good plan.

I think this is a great idea and one I would be interested in helping out with.

My ideas for publication \'spec\':
[list]Either monthly \'issues\' or presented continuously in blog format
Provided for free online with easy PDF/other ebook format downloads of whole publication or single articles
Community provided tutorials, articles, etc, edited and assembled by a group of volunteers
A minimum of one basic, intermediate and advanced tutorial per \'issue\' (or an even spread if presented as a blog)
A hardware column with tips for getting the most out of raspi, good peripherals, I/O, etc
A column with ideas and suggestions for using the raspi in schools
Links to cool stuff people are doing with the raspi[/list]

I\'d be happy to help architect the system/build parts of it, and provide/edit content.

Admins — would you be happy for this to happen?

Everybody: ideas, suggestions, comments?

Thanks,
Barnaby
by liz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:23 pm
That\'s basically what we have in mind for this website after launch! We should have a full-time employee in the next month or so, and this is part of what they\'ll be working on.
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by E » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:25 pm
This is very good to hear! I was going ask a similar question about learning resources, as I was hoping there would be Pi specific tutorials to help non-programmers such as myself get started.
by Bacan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:00 pm
Great! Now I have a use for all those saved boxes of BYTE, KiloBaud, Interface Age, and Personal Computing. Started last week tearing apart and noting articles of interest to use for Pi and student education. You should see the wealth of forgotten information among those pages.
by stuporhero » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:49 am
[quote][b]Quote from liz on September 30, 2011, 23:23[/b]
That\'s basically what we have in mind for this website after launch! We should have a full-time employee in the next month or so, and this is part of what they\'ll be working on.[/quote]

Cool, where do I sign up?! 8-)
by PiOfCube » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:02 pm
As soon as I get my hands on a unit or two, I will be publishing video tutorials and PDFs covering the Raspberry Pi and experiments and so-forth. These will all be published under the Creative Commons licence so can be used without fear of copyright issues. One series I\'m particularly looking forward to doing is a set of videos/PDFs where I show how you can salvage parts from all of those electronic things that have been sacrificed to Anoia (Discworld readers will get that one ;-) ) and used to expand the Raspberry Pi. As all of this stuff will be low voltage, it might be a good method to get parents to interest their kids in constructing something which they can later play on. Although, after saying, the kids might not get a look-in as the grown-ups hog the workshop.
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -
by barnaby » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:36 pm
Hi everybody,

Sorry for the delay, the forum wasn\'t accepting my posts for some reason.

liz — Thanks for your devotion, replying to my post at 25 past 11 at night!

Good to hear that this kind of thing is going to exist. May I offer a little piece of advice: Don\'t structure it like a blog. Any old-but-valuable content will get pushed below newer material, never to be seen again!

[quote]You should see the wealth of forgotten information among those pages.[/quote]

Nice one — I don\'t suppose they would be sharable, due to copyright problems, though?

Cheers,
Barnaby
by Jongoleur » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:03 pm
@PiOfCube:

I\'m wearing out the fish slices to improve my chances of getting a Model B when they\'re released. No ciggy smoke yet.... :-(
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by PiOfCube » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:41 pm
@barnaby I was considering setting up a database driven system which can be connected to by search engines and other people\'s sites. That way the same information can be presented in any way the individual \"webmasters\" choose.

If site owners can get their own sites to dip into this pool with a set of provided tools then content creators will be automatically given full acknowledgement for their own work and any amendments (typo and content corrections) will be spread out to all sites that use the data. This is something similar to what I am doing for other projects I have in the pipe-line.

Of course, the people writing content must submit their work to this system as it should be their own choice to do so and be happy to release it under some form of open source licence (Creative Commons would be my choice). :-)

If I have time, I might write some CMS plugins which can automate the retrieval of this content. Joomla, wordpress and ... any ideas of others (blogger perhaps)?

I will also publish some templates for these under Creative Commons and themed accordingly. If anyone is interested, send me a nod on Twitter #PiOfCube with details (E.G. Joomla/Wordpress/Drupal 1/2 columns Lots of red and pink spots).
I might not be able to create a new template for everyone but I probably will be able to use those requests to create a range of templates that will be useful to most of you. I will be creating all the images and other content myself (which will be released under Creative Commons).

Regards,
PiOfCube.
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -
by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Thu May 17, 2012 5:00 pm
Hi Barnaby

If you are still interested, please email us at editor@themagpi.com

Thanks

barnaby wrote:Hi everybody,

On another thread someone mentioned that an online raspi magazine with articles about programming it on all levels and hardware tips would be a good plan.

I think this is a great idea and one I would be interested in helping out with.

My ideas for publication \'spec\':
    Either monthly \'issues\' or presented continuously in blog format
    Provided for free online with easy PDF/other ebook format downloads of whole publication or single articles
    Community provided tutorials, articles, etc, edited and assembled by a group of volunteers
    A minimum of one basic, intermediate and advanced tutorial per \'issue\' (or an even spread if presented as a blog)
    A hardware column with tips for getting the most out of raspi, good peripherals, I/O, etc
    A column with ideas and suggestions for using the raspi in schools
    Links to cool stuff people are doing with the raspi

I\'d be happy to help architect the system/build parts of it, and provide/edit content.

Admins — would you be happy for this to happen?

Everybody: ideas, suggestions, comments?

Thanks,
Barnaby
by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Thu May 17, 2012 5:02 pm
Hi Bacan

If you would like to contribute to our online magazine please email editor@themagpi.com

You can view our site and mag at www.themagpi.com

Many Thanks

Bacan wrote:Great! Now I have a use for all those saved boxes of BYTE, KiloBaud, Interface Age, and Personal Computing. Started last week tearing apart and noting articles of interest to use for Pi and student education. You should see the wealth of forgotten information among those pages.