Discuss The MagPi - Issue 01 May 2012

5 posts
by meltwater » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:59 am
Issue 01 of The MagPi has been released (30/04/2012)
Get it from:
http://www.themagpi.com

This thread is intended to cover any discussions/problems/questions anyone may have about this particular issue of the magazine ONLY
(Please see other threads for other releases)

If you have a general question, query or wish to help-out, then you can contact us directly via the website or post in the following discussion.
The MagPi Magazine discussion Thread

All the releases of The MagPi are available on Issuu.com (flash required) including the "working draft" of the next issue!

Note:
This discussion was opened following the release of Issue 2, so corrections and errors were covered in detail in other threads.
The main one, was the logo for Java Script was incorrect on page 19.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
by meltwater » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:02 am
Specific Article Discussions...
MagPi - In Control

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
by galoisgroup » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:00 pm
Hello

I have bought a Raspberry Pi for my 12-year old grandson and I want to be able to help him out with problems he encounters.

I have a Windows 7 set-up (64 bit - Professional) so I was delighted to read the article on pages 16-17 of MagPi Issue 1.

I think I followed all the instuctions correctly but I can't get the Debian release of the LXDE Desktop to recognise certain keystrokes on my standard UK keyboard (e.g. " \ @ ).

I have tried following various threads by users in the States who are trying to get Raspberry Pis to work using a US keyboard but the fixes don't seem to help.

The Debian release of the LXDE Desktop boots from the file:

C:\Users\User\Downloads\debian-live-6.0.4-i386-lxde-desktop.iso

that I downloaded.

Any ideas welcomed.

And another thing!

How do I upgrade Python to Release 3 on the Debian release of the LXDE Desktop on my computer?

I've done it for my grandson's Pi.

Regards and thanks in anticipation.
by Jaseman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:40 pm
If you open LXTerminal from the Accessories menu.

Type in:
setxkbmap gb

This will sort out your keyboard layout issue. Since you are running a 'livecd' this setting will not be remembered, so you will have to do that each time you start the virtual machine.

Regards.
by galoisgroup » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 pm
Thanks for the solution ~ it worked like a charm. I spent hours trying to sort the problem out for myself and failing!

You say:

Since you are running a 'livecd' this setting will not be remembered, so you will have to do that each time you start the virtual machine.

Is there a way of configuring Debian differently so that I don't have to enter this command each time I start the virtual machine?

Regards