Linux Magazines - Any Recommendations?

18 posts
by bigsi111 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:41 am
Which UK Linux Magazines would people recommend to newbies?
by Montala » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:55 pm
I assume you are hoping to find one with some articles appertaining to the Raspberry Pi, and if this is the case you might like to check out the latest issue (No:114, which may not even be in the shops yet) of Linux User and Developer, which has no less than 12 pages devoted to our little friend!

You can read more details in my post in the 'Announcements' thread at viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7549

Most of this particular magazine is not really aimed at beginners though, although I believe there are currently some offers around where you can be sent 3 issues for £3 (or something like that) which might help!

Another magazine which has also featured some RasPi articles is Linux Format, but again it is not really aimed at newbies although it can make an interesting read!

I am assuming that you are of course familiar with the on-line magazine "The MagPi" (http://www.themagpi.com/) which you might find a bit more 'newbie friendly'!

Enjoy! :)
by kirbyman62-2 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:50 pm
I had a look today and could only find two 'guides', one of which seemed pretty advanced, and the other very basic (basically 'look, what you normally do on Windows can be done on Linux for free!'), and both seemed very Ubuntu-based and didn't mention the R-Pi. Didn't see the one Montala mentioned.
by Montala » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:38 pm
As I am a subscriber I receive my copies about a week before they are on sale in the newsagents, but I would have thought it should be available any day now.
by alexchamberlain » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:57 am
Hands down, no contest winner has to be Linux Format.
Developer of piimg, a utility for working with RPi images.
by mahjongg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:02 pm
Its linux magazines, not linus.
Linus Torval is the person that started writing linux.
Fixed it for you.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by asb » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:04 pm
mahjongg wrote:Its linux magazines, not linus.
Fixed it for you.

That said, I would buy a magazine all about Linus.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by squat001 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:07 am
Linux Format is the best option, they run monthly programming tutorials including Raspberry Pi and if you subscribe you can download all the back issues and old articles.

-/o/-

:idea: :arrow: :D
--/o\--
by Jaseman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:22 am
PC Pro seems to have something on it this month - I haven't read it (How to write a game apparently):

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/latest-issue
by Montala » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:59 am
If you are just interested in articles relating to the Raspberry, then it is worth keeping an eye on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7549.
by SiriusHardware » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:39 pm
With the level of interest in the little fruit still sky-high it can only be a matter of time before glossy magazines 'Your Raspberry Pi', 'Raspberry Pi User', and (for the Pi gamers), 'Squish!!' appear on the newsagents' shelves...
by SiriusHardware » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:43 pm
squat001 wrote:Linux Format is the best option

I didn't know that existed... is that from the same stable that brought us 'ST Format' and 'Amiga Format' all those years ago?
by billb » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:22 pm
Linux User & Developer is showing a lot of Raspberry Pi love lately, with either the Pi and/or the logo on the cover of issues 118 (current latest), 117, 116, 114, 113, and 111. 115 mentions the Raspberry Pi on the cover ("Develop for Raspberry Pi").

https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/magazines ... e-117.html

In the US these magazines are typically carried in bookstores like Books-a-million and Barnes & Noble for $10. I got issue 117 last weekend but haven't had a chance to go through it all yet. It includes a tutorial for making a pong game.
by 2bit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:53 am
mahjongg wrote:Its linux magazines, not linus.
Fixed it for you.

I believe it's Linus Torvalds .
But that is just me nitpicking .
by Redyam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:24 am
SiriusHardware wrote:

I didn't know that existed... is that from the same stable that brought us 'ST Format' and 'Amiga Format' all those years ago?

Linux format did have some of the same writers that Amiga Format had (remember Nick Veitch?).
by Wizard » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14 am
Redyam wrote:
SiriusHardware wrote:

Linux format did have some of the same writers that Amiga Format had (remember Nick Veitch?).

That I didn't know... Perhaps because I stopped buying paperware around the time Amiga went bust due to over-excessive advertising.
Amiga Format was a pretty descent mag from what I can remember.

Linux magazines...?
Personally I couldn't think of a single reason for buying one since it's either covered in alt.unix.whatever or in reddit/similar. Magazines today are even worse than they used to be with regards to ads etc.
Nowadays 50% ads in a magazine would be considered "sparse"...

Spend the money on good literature that covers the building blocks of *nix instead - that's my vote anyway ;)
Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!
by SiriusHardware » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm
After being alerted to the existence of (UK printed magazine) St Format by this very thread, I've bought most of the issues since.

Although I find a lot of it pretty dry (mostly because I can barely understand what I'm reading about most of the time) there is invariably at least one, sometimes more articles in every issue doing something pretty complicated with a Raspberry Pi, and these have always been described fully with every step explained. Just reading through these articles is gradually adding to my understanding of Linux, whereas most of the other material in the magazine assumes, quite reasonably, that the reader is comfortably familiar with Linux.

The most recent issue (as I write this) had a re-review of the 512MB revision 2 Pi, treating it as though it was a brand new product that the reader might not have heard of yet - I thought it was fair, balanced and accurate given the rate at which things change in the Raspberry Pi world.

Given the generally high quality of all of the Raspberry Pi articles I've seen so far it would be wonderful if 'Raspberry Pi Format' really did hit the newsagent's' shelves at some point in the future, even if it was just a one-off special containing nothing but Pi articles
by SiriusHardware » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:44 pm
Sigh. Of course, I meant Linux Format in the previous post. I'm still stuck at 25 years ago. :-(