The Unofficial Raspberry Pi Manual

48 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by benzeman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:53 am
Just sent out Newsletter #1 :)
by Montala » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 am
Received with thanks... and replied to! :)
by benzeman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:21 am
Hmm... Yes, I did intend to link to the manual (WIP) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkrboq3i7tee64c/final.pdf. Ho-hum, I guess I could send out a correction but people might complain that I'm emailing them too often! I will get that fixed for next time!
by benzeman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 pm
Just uploaded the WordPress powered website! I'm just going to make a post then I'll work on the custom theme. http://r314.co.uk/
by hjongste » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:00 am
There is a typo on page 2 of the manual. Couldn't help spotting it. Don't want to sound a know-it-all, but my intentions are good.

"...of this logo is subject to the terms avalable at raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules." Available is misspelled.

Success with the manual. I'll continue to proofread it. ;)
by hjongste » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:14 am
Just another thought. Why produce the manual in colour? There will be loads of people who'll want to print it off, to have it handy next to the pi. Colour printing provides somewhat more of a barrier for people than just plain B&W. I am just taking my examples from numerous other tech manuals (and books for that matter) which are all B&W. Easier to read and to produce. I applaud your DTP skills but why not make it easier on yourself?
by benzeman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:16 am
hjongste wrote:Just another thought. Why produce the manual in colour? There will be loads of people who'll want to print it off, to have it handy next to the pi. Colour printing provides somewhat more of a barrier for people than just plain B&W. I am just taking my examples from numerous other tech manuals (and books for that matter) which are all B&W. Easier to read and to produce. I applaud your DTP skills but why not make it easier on yourself?

You have a point. Although it's no harder to produce in colour, I will make a greyscale version available - the only thing is I'm not sure of is the readability of some bits, but then again producing a black and white edition would only mean modifying the 8 (8? I can't remember...) core templates :)

If I can get it to play nicely in black and white then a professionally printed version would be much cheaper too!

~Ben
by benzeman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:41 am
OK, having done some pricing (using http://www.printondemand-worldwide.com/), it looks like the professionally printed prices will be as follows:

Black & White: £5.49 (incl RM 2nd class shipping, add 50p for first class)
Colour: £10.99 (incl RM 2nd class shipping, add £1 for first class)

This assumes that I run a batch of 150 copies and 80 pages. The postage actually works out quite expensive (£2.20 2nd class, £2.70 first class), but obviously if a school or whatever wants to order more, then the postage comes down.

These prices may well wriggle a little, as the page count, etc may change, but I expect that, at worst, they'll go up by a pound or two.
by Chris_Reynolds » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 am
How does that compare with using lulu?

With printondemand do you have to create a print run? I think with lulu you (as an author) just upload the document and then buyers can choose the print style they want? Sorry if you've already looked into that, just thought I'd mention it.
by Montala » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:11 pm
I would certainly be interested in a colour one at those sort of prices.

How would they actually be 'bound' though?... Would it be single sheets stapled and taped, or centre folded and then stapled... if that makes sense!
by benzeman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:23 pm
Chris_Reynolds wrote:How does that compare with using lulu?

With printondemand do you have to create a print run? I think with lulu you (as an author) just upload the document and then buyers can choose the print style they want? Sorry if you've already looked into that, just thought I'd mention it.

I had a look at lulu but it seemed very expensive (about £16 for full colour if I remember correctly). I'll take another look when I've got a finished PDF to be printed. I'm more than happy to hold stock, and I might be able to get an investor who want's zero return (except obviously the money back!) - otherwise I'll use kickstarter or something else.

Montala wrote:I would certainly be interested in a colour one at those sort of prices.

How would they actually be 'bound' though?... Would it be single sheets stapled and taped, or centre folded and then stapled... if that makes sense!

It would be professionally done, those quotes assumed that it's "perfect bound" (first image), but I'll look at other bindings too, especially if it lowers the cost without affecting quality. It'll be done "properly" though!

by hjongste » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:21 am
You might want to consider ring binding. Particularly with manuals, ring binding is much more convenient. It stays open at the page you want! I can imagine lots of people will have the manual open at a particular page while working the keyboard to type in text or code. I am not sure if ring binding is too expensive to consider.
by Chris_Reynolds » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:57 am
benzeman wrote:
Chris_Reynolds wrote:How does that compare with using lulu?

I had a look at lulu but it seemed very expensive (about £16 for full colour if I remember correctly). I'll take another look when I've got a finished PDF to be printed. I'm more than happy to hold stock, and I might be able to get an investor who want's zero return (except obviously the money back!) - otherwise I'll use kickstarter or something else.

Ah yes I just had a play on their cost calculator and the colour does seem dear although the B+W is pretty reasonable. I was just thinking it saved you tying up cash but if you're ok with that then your option sounds excellent.

I'd be torn between ring binding and perfect as it depends how good the perfect is and whether the glue cracks. Ring binding is nice for the stay-flat but inevitably pages get loose.

Good luck and thanks for your work on this
by benzeman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:33 am
Chris_Reynolds wrote:I'd be torn between ring binding and perfect as it depends how good the perfect is and whether the glue cracks. Ring binding is nice for the stay-flat but inevitably pages get loose.

I'll try and see if I can get a proof with both bindings, and then I'll decide which seems best. The only thing with ring is that, as you say, it's more fragile, and pages can fall out.
by hjongste » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:17 pm
You've got to hurry up. The official guide is coming out in a few weeks time (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1498). Although your manual may be aiming at a different audience the official guide will still eat into your potential sales.
by benzeman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:22 pm
hjongste wrote:You've got to hurry up. The official guide is coming out in a few weeks time (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1498). Although your manual may be aiming at a different audience the official guide will still eat into your potential sales.

Agree, although as I'm not making any profit, so I don't really mind how many "sales" I get. I'm making this because it's something I need, and I'm releasing it into the public because I think other people might want it too, and I think it's the "right" thing to do.
by MaDoGK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:21 am
Cant wait til this is finished! Will come in handy for a n00b like me :P
by benzeman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35 pm
Well, Amy at PrintOnDemand has been able to get some binding samples - wire bound and "standard" paperback, as well as some paper samples, put in the post to me, so I'll be able to review them sometime tomorrow or wednesday. Also getting infinity installed tomorrow!
by peterm2 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:45 am
benzeman wrote:Right, OK:

I'm now looking for two people to write in the "Scratch" and "Python" sections. You'll need to write 6 two page spread each, with screenshots, and release your work under the CC-BY-SA license. I'll give you credit on page 2 (see the OP for an idea of what this will look like).

If you're interested, please drop me an email - ben [at] beh [dot] me [dot] uk.

N.B. - for python, please use python 3.x.

I am using Byte of Python from http://www.swaroopch.org/notes/Python to learn python. Maybe others will find it useful too. Of course it is not R-Pi specific.

Peter M.
by Mr.Dave » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:02 pm
I think its a great idea, it would definitely come in handy for my own learning

Is the first page meant to be in Latin or did my computer do something weird ? :D
by Serac » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:11 pm
(coming a bit late to this, but...) One thing to bear in mind is the percentage of the population who are colour blind. For some, black text on a red or green background is unreadable. Others will see green, orange, and shades of red as the same hue. Some 8% males and 0.5% of women in the UK are affected by the condition.
by benzeman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:49 pm
Mr.Dave wrote:I think its a great idea, it would definitely come in handy for my own learning

Is the first page meant to be in Latin or did my computer do something weird ? :D

That's filler text, the article hasn't been written yet! Also, I completely forgot about colourblind ness. I'll release a black and white version too...
by benzeman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:42 am
I think I'm going to have to make this a website - I don't have time to produce a version fit for publishing and write the content!