The MagPi Magazine www.themagpi.com


254 posts   Page 7 of 11   1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
by williamhbell » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:08 pm
Hi,

When is the final proof reading of the 3rd issue draft scheduled? The draft is looking good, but there are some holes in the content at present. Will there be a zoho meeting on this?

Is there enough space in draft 4 to accommodate another "C cave" article? Since the previous one was squeezed down to two pages, the next one is seven pages in the original format (3 or 4 pages in magazine format). As the program lines become longer it might be better to switch from two columns back to one. Or allow the programs to span two columns and leave the text spanning one.

Thanks and best regards,

Will

P.S. A few emails to Ash seem to have gone into the void. Therefore, I am posting the message here in case there is a problem with my email account.
User avatar
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:13 pm
by Jaseman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:42 pm
We rely on people to highlight spelling errors etc and let us know, so please email or message us if you have spotted some. Unfortunately people seem to let us know AFTER the draft period for some reason.

Ash is in Corfu at the moment, which is why he's not answering the email.

Personally, I'm against any article being longer than 4 pages. The magazine is limited to 32 pages, and we have a lot of topics to cover. As well as the regular series' we have a number of new articles that we would like to fit in. We have also received articles on C++ and other programming languages. We don't want to put C and C++ in the same issue because it might confuse people. We had to hold back a number of articles from Issue 3 because we simply couldn't fit them in. For example we have Lego case designs, which we wanted to include, but couldn't.

The biggest problem we have, is that the articles we get are rarely in a completed state. They are either half finished or have information missing which is vital to the tutorial. This month's Skutter article is a good example of this - It doesn't explain how to get the Vendor ID or Product ID information - which is a necessary requirement for writing the program. Tjz and I were working on that well into the early hours of the morning yesterday. We also have to condense the articles, because people do tend to include quite a lot of unnecessary paragraphs. The first two paragraphs of Skutter will be removed and a number of the others rewritten in a more efficient way. We haven't had a chance to test most of the articles yet, including the C Cave. The main problem is - We just don't have enough people working on the magazine. I've been testing Debian apps most of the day and logged into the Zoho chat, but nobody else has turned up yet today. It's always a struggle to get the magazine completed in time.

The contents can change at last minute too... For example we were expecting a follow up to the Music article, but Dave Spice is in hospital at the moment, so that one has been postponed for now, but he did contact us to say that he is fully intending to write the next part in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully we will get Darren's In Control article as well.

The team has not discussed what the contents of issue 4 will be yet. Ash will be back from his holiday soon.

We will definitely put in more C Cave articles, but you might have to split them into shorter sections - Keep writing them.

We get more new articles than we can manage. What we need mostly are people to help choose which ones get in, and to make sure they are up to standard - that the information is correct, the tutorials work, and are presented in a way which is easy to follow.

Regards,

Jase
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:59 pm
by williamhbell » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:13 pm
Jaseman wrote:We rely on people to highlight spelling errors etc and let us know, so please email or message us if you have spotted some. Unfortunately people seem to let us know AFTER the draft period for some reason.


In the article "Meeting PI". There is a "before hand" which should be "beforehand". It is in the first paragraph in black.

Jaseman wrote:Personally, I'm against any article being longer than 4 pages.


The current form of the next "C cave" article is around four pages in magazine format. The article could be broken into two parts if needed. There was no suggestion of an article longer than four pages.

Jaseman wrote:We don't want to put C and C++ in the same issue because it might confuse people.


Sounds very reasonable.

Jaseman wrote:We will definitely put in more C Cave articles, but you might have to split them into shorter sections - Keep writing them.


Very good.

Jaseman wrote:We get more new articles than we can manage. What we need mostly are people to help choose which ones get in, and to make sure they are up to standard - that the information is correct, the tutorials work, and are presented in a way which is easy to follow.


How are the articles for review distributed? Are they distributed by email or via Zoho? If the article relates to C, C++, python or scatch, I am happy to test it out.

Regards, Will
User avatar
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:13 pm
by Jaseman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 pm
The MagPi Team have a dropbox where all the potential articles sit. Once we have decided to include the article, it goes onto the Issuu draft ready for public scrutiny. We then work on it until the end of the month when the magazine becomes 'Final'.
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:59 pm
by rurwin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:58 pm
Notes on Issue 3 draft:
  • In control -- diagram of pins ambiguous. Consider adding PCB outline in green underneath.
  • Command Line Clinic -- first wc example should use > not |.
  • Skutter -- too complex in my opinion and explanation is inconsistent. For example, explains binary and then uses hexadecimal without explanation.To add all the required detail would expand the article massively. Would it be better to aim this series at a higher technical level and then have a series of articles, eg Programming Fundamentals, explaining all the basic stuff that is assumed?
  • Meeting Pi -- Some Independence Ratings quit in mid-sentence.
  • C cave -- there is no need for separate compile and link commands; "gcc first.c" will work perfectly well. It would be a good idea to use "gcc -o first first.c" and not bother the student with the strange and meaningless "a.out" name.
  • Feedback -- With all the rest of the mag aimed at kids, I have never understood why there's a sexy lady here. Maybe I'm just dense.
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm
by kirbyman62-2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:11 pm
Website www.themagpi.com is throwing up a 404 error. Would you happen to know why at all?
User avatar
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 am
Location: Northampton, England
by domesday » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:00 pm
Yes, there seems to be a problem with the web host that is being investigated at the moment, thanks for flagging it up.
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:53 pm
Location: UK
by meltwater » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:16 pm
Thanks for the feedback on the articles. Meeting pi has been updated with the changes mentioned (and hopefully improved generally), it'll go into the next draft when I've finished the layout changes.
______________
http://www.themagpi.com/
A Magazine for Raspberry Pi Users
Read Online or Download for Free.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
User avatar
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am
by morphy_richards » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:45 am
Jaseman wrote: This month's Skutter article is a good example of this - It doesn't explain how to get the Vendor ID or Product ID information - which is a necessary requirement for writing the program.


Sorry about that I had intended to write that bit in, in fact I was sure I had. You get the vendor and product id using the lsusb -v command. We all need feedback, my problem is I don't have anyone else with programming knowledge who can quality control / proof read for me. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help with the process of tidying up the article or anything in general I can do for the mag.

Thanks, keep up the good work :)
User avatar
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: London
by meltwater » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:35 am
rurwin wrote:Notes on Issue 3 draft:
  • In control -- diagram of pins ambiguous. Consider adding PCB outline in green underneath.
  • Command Line Clinic -- first wc example should use > not |.
  • Skutter -- too complex in my opinion and explanation is inconsistent. For example, explains binary and then uses hexadecimal without explanation.To add all the required detail would expand the article massively. Would it be better to aim this series at a higher technical level and then have a series of articles, eg Programming Fundamentals, explaining all the basic stuff that is assumed?
  • Meeting Pi -- Some Independence Ratings quit in mid-sentence.
  • C cave -- there is no need for separate compile and link commands; "gcc first.c" will work perfectly well. It would be a good idea to use "gcc -o first first.c" and not bother the student with the strange and meaningless "a.out" name.
  • Feedback -- With all the rest of the mag aimed at kids, I have never understood why there's a sexy lady here. Maybe I'm just dense.

Hi there.
  • We are waiting on an update to the In Control article, hopefully it'll be on soon. I agree about the pin diagram, I thought the same, just a basic outline of the PCB will make it dead easy to see which way round things are.
  • Commandline clinic - I think this has been updated.
  • Skutter - This has been re-done somewhat, the binary explanation in particular needed more work (the intention was great), but also to help improve the balance within the mag, the page count is reduced too.
  • Meeting Pi - Hopefully a little better. As the pages filled up, I avoiding writing too much more until I could see how much space was left when pictures are added.
  • C cave - will see if we can get this changed if it helps improve things.
  • Feedback - The mag isn't just aimed at kids, although the lady isn't particularly offensive, i guess if we can find other suitable images, they can be used too.

We will keep checking and updating the articles until we release, so keep the feedback coming.
______________
http://www.themagpi.com/
A Magazine for Raspberry Pi Users
Read Online or Download for Free.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
User avatar
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am
by morphy_richards » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 am
The new "to protect and to serve" article looks really good. Cant see an author name on it though so I don't know who to congratulate.
User avatar
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: London
by meltwater » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:04 am
morphy_richards wrote:The new "to protect and to serve" article looks really good. Cant see an author name on it though so I don't know who to congratulate.

Author is Mark, will make sure we add that.
______________
http://www.themagpi.com/
A Magazine for Raspberry Pi Users
Read Online or Download for Free.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
User avatar
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am
by meltwater » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 am
meltwater wrote:
morphy_richards wrote:The new "to protect and to serve" article looks really good. Cant see an author name on it though so I don't know who to congratulate.

Author is Mark, will make sure we add that.

I'll get shot! The article is by "Mike G8NXD". I think it is already on there. The layout and text is in progress at the moment, but hopefully will make a useful article for people.
______________
http://www.themagpi.com/
A Magazine for Raspberry Pi Users
Read Online or Download for Free.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
User avatar
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am
by morphy_richards » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:20 am
meltwater wrote:I'll get shot! The article is by "Mike G8NXD". I think it is already on there. The layout and text is in progress at the moment, but hopefully will make a useful article for people.

So it is! Apologies. It's not very prominent yet though. Hope you dont need to make any last requests just yet.
User avatar
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: London
by meltwater » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:21 am
morphy_richards wrote:
meltwater wrote:I'll get shot! The article is by "Mike G8NXD". I think it is already on there. The layout and text is in progress at the moment, but hopefully will make a useful article for people.

So it is! Apologies. It's not very prominent yet though. Hope you dont need to make any last requests just yet.

I'll be safe until the editing is finished off I think.
______________
http://www.themagpi.com/
A Magazine for Raspberry Pi Users
Read Online or Download for Free.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
User avatar
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am
by morphy_richards » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:06 pm
rurwin wrote:Feedback -- With all the rest of the mag aimed at kids, I have never understood why there's a sexy lady here. Maybe I'm just dense.

I'd like to know where you can get one of those raspberry pi coffee mugs she's holding. :)
User avatar
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: London
by meltwater » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 pm
morphy_richards wrote:
rurwin wrote:Feedback -- With all the rest of the mag aimed at kids, I have never understood why there's a sexy lady here. Maybe I'm just dense.

I'd like to know where you can get one of those raspberry pi coffee mugs she's holding. :)

I expect you could get one printed at most photo places, as long as you stick with the tm rules (I guess a mug for your own coffee is fine).
______________
http://www.themagpi.com/
A Magazine for Raspberry Pi Users
Read Online or Download for Free.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
User avatar
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am
by williamhbell » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:43 pm
rurwin wrote:Notes on Issue 3 draft:
  • C cave -- there is no need for separate compile and link commands; "gcc first.c" will work perfectly


Hi Rurwin,
Thank you for your comments. Agree that the separate compile and link lines are not needed yet. The a.out references have been removed. The updated draft has been sent to Ash.
Best regards, Will
User avatar
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:13 pm
by Luny » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:46 pm
I like the 'lady', she adds to the mag :)
Nice mug too...
Luny
User avatar
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: Ewell, Surrey
by domesday » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:20 pm
Luny wrote:I like the 'lady', she adds to the mag :)
Nice mug too...

Who are you calling a mug ;)
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:53 pm
Location: UK
by kirbyman62-2 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:07 pm
Good to see the website is back. Going through with a very fine comb, I've found the following issues:

  • On the cover, in the bottom-right corner, it says "Raspberry Pi is a trademark of THe Raspberry Pi Foundation."
  • Page 2 refers to it as a "community led magazine" (should be 'lead').
  • The 2nd paragraph on Page 2 says pi. Not sure if this is an issue but it's written 'Pi' everywhere else.
  • Page 4 should probably be 'Windows'' (with an apostrophe at the end) notepad as opposed to what it is currently, "Windows notepad."
  • Page 14, the paragraph that starts with "For the first value", it says wont.
  • Page 31, the third line refers to the "Magpi", whereas it is written as 'MagPi' everywhere else.

Issue looks like another great one, good to see stuff aimed at lots of different people, well done.
User avatar
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 am
Location: Northampton, England
by rurwin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:45 pm
kirbyman62-2 wrote:Page 4 should probably be 'Windows'' (with an apostrophe at the end) notepad as opposed to what it is currently, "Windows notepad."
To be pedantic it should be "Windows's Notepad". Just the apostrophe indicates the possessive of the plural.

James's dog, has got the Browns' ball.

Like that it would look ugly. It should however be "Notepad". What about "Windows Notepad" as a simple noun.
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm
by kirbyman62-2 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:58 pm
rurwin wrote:
kirbyman62-2 wrote:Page 4 should probably be 'Windows'' (with an apostrophe at the end) notepad as opposed to what it is currently, "Windows notepad."
To be pedantic it should be "Windows's Notepad". Just the apostrophe indicates the possessive of the plural.

James's dog, has got the Browns' ball.

Like that it would look ugly. It should however be "Notepad". What about "Windows Notepad" as a simple noun.


I was never quite sure on that, I've been taught both. Thanks :)
User avatar
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 am
Location: Northampton, England
by Jaseman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:22 pm
Issue 3 is finished - and no I don't care about the correct way of referencing Microsoft Notepad for Windows, hence I haven't changed it.

This is the part where you all rip Issue 3 to pieces for all the inaccuracies, inadequacies, spelling errors, formatting blunders and simplistic worthlessness. I'm reasonably happy with it myself, despite its failings.

Hope some of you enjoy it. We worked bloody hard to get it finished.
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:59 pm
by Burngate » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:18 am
Great!
Could you leave a link to it here? - for those like me who are too lazy to hunt for it :)
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
User avatar
Posts: 2842
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK