Creative Commons Licensed, Internationally Collaborative Book

3 posts
by adrian.skildpadden » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 am
Hi all,

I'd like to see if there's any support to collaboratively write a book on the RPi. This is something I've done before - I'm one of the founding editors of the book Greening IT (http://greening.it).

The basic idea is to create a creative commons licensed book collaboratively. The entire project would be run using open source software and the book itself would be actually generated on a Pi. Each contributor is free to contribute content (usually at least a chapter), and there would be minimal interference from the team regarding content. There would however be support to make sure there's a common theme across the chapters, and spelling and grammar is all correct :) .

I have purchased rpihacker.org with the intention of using it for the book, and having the overarching theme of the book being a series of chapters on building interesting stuff with the Pi - writing software for it, moving stuff with stepping motors, integrating it with other systems - just generally high quality chapters on interesting stuff related to the Pi written at such a level that someone who has little knowledge of hardware/software can follow it and implement their crazy ideas with the RPi. It's a team effort though, so of course I'm flexible on this :)

Most importantly the team would be friendly and collaborative. I had great fun working with the contributors to Greening IT and I think this could be even better. When the book is done, the idea would be that we distribute it for free electronically, and for a small cost in print (via Amazon for example).

The team would need to consist of writers, comms (newsletters, social networking, etc), web site maintainer, and possibly an iteration manager if we use a distributed agile model like I used before. As for the timeline - that's up to the team. It does take time to write high quality chapters, but given that we would publish the book ourselves, we can dictate our own timeline.

If you think you would like to be part of this, or at least support the idea please leave you comments here :)

Thanks!
by john.mills » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 am
I think this sounds like an interesting project, it might get more attention if you post it in the education section of the forums. I believe that there would be a number of people interested in lending a hand with a project like this.

Regards,

John
by benzeman » Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 am
Hi,

Would you mind colaberating with me on "The Unofficial Raspberry Pi Manual (link)"? I just don't want to see work doubled up!

Many thanks,

Ben