MagPi – Raspberry Pi Magazine

263 posts   Page 9 of 11   1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
by Dave_G_2 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:25 pm
Nice concept, nice layout, nice graphics (although did prefer previous cover), nice mag overall.

Well done guys.

Only complaints I have is the choice of hosting sites.

1) Issuu – terrible, won"t let me download the mag as a pdf until I register and when I try to register it tells me my email address is not valid (any email entered is not valid).

Admittedly did not try the Facebook connect/log-in option.

Don't see this as a viable option anyhow, as some readers will undoubtedly be scholars and educators which probably cannot access facebook from the locked down network at their school and hence would not be able to log-in.

2) moonfruit -  "document not found".
by Jaseman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:43 pm
We will be making the final magazine available as a downloadable PDF (Outside of issuu.com) as well as having the flip-page version, which most people seem to be okay with.

The reason the moonfruit site says 'document not found' - The link to the issuu document changes every time I upload a revised version.  Poor Ash has to keep fixing the link on the website - because I'm uploading revised versions by the minute.

Once issue 1 is finished it will be more stable.  If you have been looking in regularly, you will see that it is very much a working document.  I have been changing it every day for the last two months.

Apologies if you have been experiencing difficulties getting access to it.  I will happily e-mail the PDF to you if necessary - just ask.

Regards,

Jaseman
by Dave_G_2 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 am
Hi Jaseman

Glad to hear that the magpi will be available outside of issuu for download.

I will PM you my email address.

Many thanks.
by meltwater » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 pm
Thanks for the feedback on the mag here, all very good stuff, please keep it coming (you may just spot something which none of us have yet to see, fresh eyes are always welcome and often see more!).

As for the cover, interesting though it was, I also agreed that it was unsuitable for what we are after.  It did show that such a mag would sit on a news-stand though, but ideally it will be excellent to hear about it being printed and passed around schools etc.  Consider it a stepping stone to the "Glossy Cover" we have now.

Anyway, please keep the feedback coming, particularly if you've printed it and have suggestions or issues about doing that.  Jaseman has already redone a lot of the pages so that text is clearer when printed for example.

We are very excited about our nearing deadline so we want it to be as good as possible before moving onto Issue 2.  Also if you have ideas and thoughts about where you'd like to see things progress in the next few issues then please let us know.

As soon as we have some RPi's to work with I hope to bring some detailed articles on interfacing etc (if I am able to).

Also, anyone wanting to join the team, please contact us and let us know, the more help (in whatever form) we can get the better.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
by Dave_G_2 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:50 pm
Jaseman

Got the pdf via email, thank you.

Going to print several copies for friends and colleagues.

As I've said before, well done guys, the magpi is a great piece of work.

How about this for the mag?

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/ejvr2

(sorry couldn't resist)   :-)
by Jaseman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 pm
Love it! :-)

I just added the Skutter article part 1 and more programming examples to follow this week.  Other than that, there shouldn't be too many surprises between now and final version.
by Dave_G_2 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:48 pm
I was a bit bored at the office, so ……………

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/nhtfa
by Jaseman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:54 pm
Dave_G_2 said:

I was a bit bored at the office, so ……………

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/nhtfa

Before you ask.... No we're not printing that!  Maybe CAS would be interested in it for their 'What to do with it' manual.
by Dave_G_2 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:08 pm
Don't worry, wouldn't expect you to. :-)

Just some fun to pass the time.

Probably more suited to a 'What not to do with it' manual. :-)
by raspi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:54 pm
I have a website, it's http://www.raspi.co.uk and it's only as good as your contributions really. I have a Pi and have fired it up and it works. I've designed a case for it which is in production.

There's a blog which shows my progress, but there is also a forum if people want to get down and dirty with it and make it their own.
by Jaseman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:34 pm
Nice website raspi.  Sorry to hear about your power supply problems.  Personally I think The foundation should have insisted that an approved one was included as standard.  They will get so much bad feedback from people going through the same experience that you described.  I guess the answer is - buy the PSU from the same place you bought the Raspberry Pi, and make sure you state on your order than one is intended to be used with the other - Madness!

I've held back from even attempting to order one because of all the mayhem.  I just hope that they will be available to buy without having to pre-order months in advance by the time I get back from my trip to California next month.
by kirbyman62 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:29 pm
Very small typo, but I thought I'd point it out. In the RacyPi article, in the LiveCD Boot section, it says "If you don't have a CD/DVD drive for your system, then see also the side for information about booting from a USB device." I presume it should say "site" instead? As I said, nothing major, but I though I should mention it.

Good work so far, the magazine looks great!
by pifan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:55 pm
Hey,

I love the design of the mag - very pro.

Happy to have it on my little blog - http://www.raspberrypiusers.com/

I could either put the pdf on - with credits, etc or provide a link to where you host it.

As an aside, I started programming my zx81 when I was 8 yrs old, starting with copying some basic programs and games. Nearly 20 yrs on and I'm looking at what drivers, etc I can put together for the Pi. However such low-level ideas have made me question what would be interesting to the average person (adult or child) to engage them in programming.... controlling a robot, drawing pictures,....?
by Jaseman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:48 pm
@ Kirbyman62 - The RacyPy article is having a major overhaul right now.  I've been told it 'should' be finished by tomorrow evening.  Any glitches you spot in the magazine - please do point these out - better to fix them before we commit issue 1 to the history books.

@ Pifan - Great - The more exposure the magazine gets, the better.  I got my ZX81 when I was 8 too.  I don't know if you have children, but I was surprised that my 6 year old was taking some interest in programming - even having been exposed to Playstation 3 and all the other marvels of modern life.  He had a giggle when we were playing around with Python and Scratch.  If you listen to Eben's experiences of visiting schools, I think this same interest is reflected across the board.  I think a key thing is presenting it in the right way - It should be fun - not a chore like GCSE computer studies.

A general comment: I've personally put a lot into making this magazine happen.  Ash, Melt, tzj and co. have also been a great help - providing the background photos, contributing to the layout ideas, graphics and writing articles.  We meet up through Zoho docs regularly to discuss things.  I hope that more people will get involved for issue 2.  The more people that get involved, the better and richer it will be.  It's really your magazine as much as ours.  Think about the combined knowledge and skill that is gathered in this community.  We all just have to pull together and harness it in one place, rather than 20 not-so-great attempts at magazines, blogs or websites.  I've been working around the clock pretty much for the last two months to get the magazine to where it is, but I'm hoping that I won't have to do as much work myself next time around.
by Jaseman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:06 am
The MagPi could use some 'program testers' to try out the scratch and python programs and make sure they work and are easy to follow.  Any volunteers?
by morphy_richards » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:35 am
Jaseman said:

The MagPi could use some 'program testers' to try out the scratch and python programs and make sure they work and are easy to follow.  Any volunteers?

Just sent you a PM
by Jaseman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:39 pm
Okay guys, the new RacyPy is slotted into place.  We have 30 pages - so you can read one a day till the next issue!

All we need to do now is go over and over it checking for any errors or possible improvements before it's signed off as 'Job Done' on Monday night.

The python stuff has been fairly well tested already.  Could do with someone to try out the Scratch, and the Debian and RacyPy tutorials.  Pass on any comments you have.

Cheers!
by kirbyman62 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:27 pm
I tried the Debian one and it worked fine for a bit, then the bottom bit (completly forgot it's name, it has the 'Start' menu of sorts and the clock etc) dissapears after a while and I can't get it back.

That and I had no idea what I'm doing, but that's because I''ve never used Linux before, maybe later issues could help with newcomers to Debian?

New RacyPy article looks good as well.
by antiloquax » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:56 pm
Jaseman said:

I just received a nice lot of Python programs and articles from Mark aka antiloquax, so I shall delve into those shortly, and hopefully we can include them.  There are 6 separate programs.  I think we can save some of these for future magazine issues, unless he's planning to do this quantity every month?

By the way Jaseman, I am happy for you to use any or all of these. I'm pretty sure that between us we can fill the future installments of the Python Pit!

:)
by Jaseman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:50 am
I just ran up the bat and ball game - I like it.  I will put into the Python pit to get us up to 32 pages (That number of pages helps when printing as an A5 booklet - apparently!)
by antiloquax » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:18 pm
That's cool!

BTW I enjoyed your suggestion about making the bat and ball using the pygame draw functions. It's a lot neater that way! Also, I hadn't tried doing that before, so I learned stuff about "surfaces" in the process.
by Jaseman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:26 pm
Yeah, I prefer to draw the graphics within the program if possible and avoid having to import bitmaps.  Unfortunately the Raspberry Pi logo is very difficult to reproduce using basic geometric shapes - Particularly the leaves, but the red spots are challenging too, as they are not exactly round or elliptical in 2 dimensions.  I've also discovered through some quite painstaking research that the logo is 'incorrect' in 3 dimensions, so you can't get around it by modelling it in 3d either!
by Jaseman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:04 pm
kirbyman62 said:

I tried the Debian one and it worked fine for a bit, then the bottom bit (completly forgot it"s name, it has the "Start" menu of sorts and the clock etc) dissapears after a while and I can"t get it back.

That and I had no idea what I"m doing, but that"s because I'"ve never used Linux before, maybe later issues could help with newcomers to Debian?

This happened to me as well - Particularly when you try to apt-get additional software.  I haven't found out yet why the start menu disappears like that - I assume it is some sort of crash.  If you use the 'Machine' pulldown menu and choose 'Close' and then 'power off the machine', when you restart it again, the menu should return.  I shall let you know if I find a solution to it.
by kirbyman62 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:01 pm
Jaseman said:

kirbyman62 said:

I tried the Debian one and it worked fine for a bit, then the bottom bit (completly forgot it"s name, it has the "Start" menu of sorts and the clock etc) dissapears after a while and I can"t get it back.

That and I had no idea what I"m doing, but that"s because I'"ve never used Linux before, maybe later issues could help with newcomers to Debian?

This happened to me as well – Particularly when you try to apt-get additional software.  I haven't found out yet why the start menu disappears like that – I assume it is some sort of crash.  If you use the 'Machine' pulldown menu and choose 'Close' and then 'power off the machine', when you restart it again, the menu should return.  I shall let you know if I find a solution to it.

Yeah, I found that as well.
by Jaseman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:16 am
We're running out of time for last minute edits now - so speak up before Issue 1 goes to print.