MagPi – Raspberry Pi Magazine

263 posts   Page 8 of 11   1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
by antiloquax » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:36 pm
512 would be plenty. I set mine up with 256. My laptop runs Racy or Wary very well in 256mb.

Hope you find it useful!

mark
by mahjongg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:19 pm
antiloquax said:

512 would be plenty. I set mine up with 256. My laptop runs Racy or Wary very well in 256mb.

Hope you find it useful!

mark

a real R-PI has a maximum of 224MB of ram free, as the GPU uses at least 32MB of the 256MB available memory. Default is even less, 192MB so the GPU can have 64MB for multimedia tasks.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by mahjongg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:21 pm
Deep Thought said:

Nice Magpie drawing, but it needs a RasPi clutched in its claws, IMHO…

Well, maybe because the gold on the board attracts it, and it wants to "steal" it, but on the other hand magpies do not eat CPU boards, they eat insects, but also (rasp)berries!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jaseman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:45 pm
The reason I'm reluctant to add the Raspberry Pi logo to the Magpie is that every logo has to link to this website to comply with the Trademark rules.  It's a lot of extra hassle.

I've just completed my Debian for Oracle VM VirtualBox article (More or less), for anyone that might be interested in giving it a go - You can find it in the draft of the magazine:

http://issuu.com/themagpi/docs/all

You will probably need to set aside 2 hours to following it, by the time you have downloaded the ISO file, installed VirtualBox and built the Virtual Machine.  It should be very easy to follow - Something to do when you have a couple of hours to kill or in the background whilst you are channel hopping the TV.

Well worthwhile though if you are like me - Using Windows as your main OS.
by antiloquax » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 am
I will have a look at this- I have the RPi Debian OS running on Windows (and Linux!) in QEMU, but the VBox option might let me do more with it!
by Jaseman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:11 am
Is there a LiveCD of Debian with LXDE that we can download for use with i386 machines?

If so, I'm not sure we should even bother with RacyPy.

Liam Fraser mentions in his latest video that Debian is now the official OS - not Fedora.

I'm going to have to change the magazine article suitably.  Thankfully, I chose to write my recent article about Debian on VirtualBox - It's even more relevant now.
by antiloquax » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:13 am
You can get Debian here:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/

Yes - it's better to do something on Debian than Racy/WaryPy in the MagPi.

:)

mark
by Montala » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:15 pm
Jaseman said:

I've just completed my Debian for Oracle VM VirtualBox article (More or less), for anyone that might be interested in giving it a go - You can find it in the draft of the magazine:

http://issuu.com/themagpi/docs/all

You will probably need to set aside 2 hours to following it, by the time you have downloaded the ISO file, installed VirtualBox and built the Virtual Machine.  It should be very easy to follow - Something to do when you have a couple of hours to kill or in the background whilst you are channel hopping the TV.

Well worthwhile though if you are like me - Using Windows as your main OS.

Hi Jaseman,

Thank you for posting this... it will be very useful after I wasted quite a bit of time yesterday trying (unsuccessfully) to install Wary on Virtual Box, so as soon as I have a spare hour (or two) I will be carefully working through it.

The magazine is looking great I thought, so I decided to print out the 3 pages of your article, but what I did find was that when you go into the two column layout, the text becomes quite small and not that easy to read.

Also, at the bottom of Page 10 you have two 'orphan' lines, (one in each column) which should really be linked with the next screen shots.

I know this sounds as if I am being critical (and I suppose I am), but I am sure that many other readers will be making the same sort of comments, and I am sure you would rather they were made now, while you are still at the 'Draft' stage, rather than later.

There is certainly a need, I feel, for this sort of 'step by step' guide, especially as many users will be on a steep learning curve anyway.

Keep up the good work! :)
by Jaseman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:52 am
The whole article has been condensed down to 2 pages now.  It also takes much less time to set up using the Debian LiveCD and skipping all the part about Virtual Disks.

Glad you are enjoying the magazine.  A lot of effort is going in to it.

The comments are very helpful - if you spot any glitches, please let us know, because after 1st of May - issue 1 is sealed forever - no more edits allowed.
by mikezoe » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:11 am
Jaseman said:

The whole article has been condensed down to 2 pages now.  It also takes much less time to set up using the Debian LiveCD and skipping all the part about Virtual Disks.

Glad you are enjoying the magazine.  A lot of effort is going in to it.

The comments are very helpful - if you spot any glitches, please let us know, because after 1st of May - issue 1 is sealed forever - no more edits allowed.

On a similar vein, your leading article has three identical spelling or are they grammatical errors? The word "its" only has an apostrophe between the t and s letters when the meaning is "It is". In your article the meanings of all three are similar ie "belonging to it". I will be happy to edit all content for spelling, grammatical and stylistic errors. What is the preferred method of suggesting corrections?
by tzj » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:48 pm
for any suggestions or corrections please send them to emailthemagpi@gmail.com

that way we can keep a log outside of the forums.
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)
by domesday » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:06 pm
Not convinced about the new cover, a nice pic overall but it looks more like stuff magazine. I'm sure most men (and a few women) will appreciate seeing an attractive young model on the cover but that kind of presupposes that the readership is male. Wouldn't you agree that we should be trying to break the stereotype that it is only socially awkward men that are in to programming ? Would be better IMHO to have something less distracting and more inclusive.
by mikezoe » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:26 pm
Darren said:

Not convinced about the new cover, a nice pic overall but it looks more like stuff magazine. I'm sure most men (and a few women) will appreciate seeing an attractive young model on the cover but that kind of presupposes that the readership is male. Wouldn't you agree that we should be trying to break the stereotype that it is only socially awkward men that are in to programming ? Would be better IMHO to have something less distracting and more inclusive.

I agree 100%. How about a pic showing a group of all ages and ethnicities using the Raspberry pi?
by Jaseman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:36 pm
I've fixed the 'its/it's' problem - thanks for highlighting it.

Regarding the cover - What do you suggest we use instead?  - Put up, or shut up!

We're having trouble finding anything suitable.  It's either too dull and boring / copyrighted, off topic or too saucy.
by Jaseman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:38 pm
I did have one idea to get a photo of Eben with a magpie on his head.  I'm sure we could lure one there with some bird seed.  However I don't think Eben would be up for it!
by domesday » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 am
Was there a problem with the previous cover, seemed perfectly ok to me ?
by mikezoe » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:18 am
Jaseman said:

I've fixed the 'its/it's' problem – thanks for highlighting it.

Regarding the cover – What do you suggest we use instead?  – Put up, or shut up!

A little rude considering I did suggest an alternative. It would have added to the discussion if you had addressed the central criticism of the current use of a model. Doesn't it give a wrong impression? If this magazine would have been on newsagents shelves fighting to stand out I could have understood the argument for using a model (though would have remained firmly against the decision).

by antiloquax » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:10 am
Hi Jaseman,

I've just sent you something on Scratch – it's a bit on the short side. I have been a bit busy. I will add at least one other program to it this week if I get a chance.

Magazine is looking good!
by morphy_richards » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:20 am
First off, I think the work that you have put into this is fantastic. I (and so does everyone else I'm sure) really appreciate what you are doing!

I have got the idea that I am going to print off a few copies nicely on glossy paper and put them in my classrooms and give some copies to some select students who I know will appreciate and make good use of them, except with this cover I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing so. I think the magazine cover is appropriate for a certain demographic but not for some others,

I can think of some girls in specific (who are very techie but also kind of political, they have started an Amnest International society at my school, I keep telling them I thinkk their up to no good but anyway) they would have a field day telling me that they are 'disappointed' and that it's derogatory etc. They seem to revel in finding things that I'm doing wrong so they can inform me about how I should be doing better :-S

And then the head would come in as she is prone to doing, with some visitors or other, to show them what we are doing with all the shiny things up in ICT, I can just hear her now "Mr Richards do you think this is entirely age appropriate"?

One of my colleagues also teaches media, recently we wasted a lunchtime on photoshop by getting a star wars poster and putting Michael Gove in place of the emperor and then adding a humorous caption which  I cant repeat here. He's really good at that kind of thing.

As the MagPi is "hosted" rather than published, what if you were to release issues with alternative covers?

I suggest that the edition above could be aimed at your garden shed inventor / boffin types.

I could ask my media colleague to have a go at making an alternative cover which wouldnt be out of place in schools and submit that early to mid next week? (assuming you and he are both agreeable?) That way your good work isnt undone,so to speak,  it's just that the readers have more choice?

As for Eben with a Magpie on his head, well I dont know the chap at all and wouldnt presume to speak for him but if he would be agreeable in principle I'm sure that could be arranged without the need for seeding his scalp, so to speak. :-)

Anyway, I doff my cap to you and humbly toddle off to make coffee. TTFN
by mikezoe » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:27 am
I'm glad there seems to be a gathering protest against the use of the current front page image but am concerned about the little time remaining to come up with an alternative. I have suggested by email a giant image of the device- what's wrong with that?
by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:14 am
Hi all.

On behalf of the MagPi magazine I would like to make it clear that the final issue front page will be in no way derogatory or politically incorrect.

We are taking pride in making the magazine usable for all levels of user, with the intention that it can be additionally utilised in classrooms, and thus must be acceptable to all ages and backgrounds.

As the magazine is community led, any covers in use at this stage are purely to test out responses and to gain feedback and we thank all that have offered their opinions.

We are listening to all feedback and have spent the last 4 days working on new, more widely user friendly covers.

The official release of the first issue will be on the 1st of May, up until that point, please accept the issue as a work in progress subject to change.

Please keep your valued feedback coming, sending all thoughts to editor@themagpi.com

Many Thanks

Ash Stone

The MagPi magazine
by Montala » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:18 am
Hi,

Having just had a look at the latest draft I am very impressed indeed in what is turning out to be a very attractive, informative and professional looking Magazine.

Personally I have no complaints about the current draft front cover, and think that the idea of including a classroom 'theme' was a good one.

My only slight concern was what appears to be a dismembered hand emerging from the 'desk' on which the girl is sitting! ;)

I am certainly no graphic designer myself, and wouldn't know where to start in trying to produce an alternative picture, but perhaps something that could be considered for a future cover, is a classroom 'scene', with the 'teacher' holding a Raspberry Pi board, and f a short Python script on the 'blackboard' in the background.

Just a thought anyway, and I am looking forward to reading the first issue, once it is finally completed.
by Jaseman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:37 pm
I would be interested to hear all of your opinions on the latest revision of the cover.  Nothing is in concrete yet, but this one seems to meet the criteria quite well.

I can't think of it being offensive to anybody - even the most conservative of professors - but there may be some angle I haven't considered?

Also - It's not too late to submit any pictures or ideas for the cover that you may have - we still have a week left.  As for any late submitted articles, those will probably have to go to issue 2 now.  I'm planning to add some python examples in the back before it's finished off, and still some final layout tweaks to be done.

Thank you all for your supportive comments!  It makes me feel that our efforts have been worthwhile.
by mikezoe » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:55 pm
Just to say the new front page is great!
by domesday » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:25 pm
I have to agree the new cover is ideal.