MagPi – Raspberry Pi Magazine

263 posts   Page 1 of 11   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11
by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 pm
Hey guys. Placed my order for a pi, keep up the great work! Have you thought about launching a magazine for the pi?

As a charity it may bring in a bit more cash as mark up would be reasonable. It could be in keeping with your educational mantra but also allow a showcase for people to present their projects/ share step by step tutorials whilst appealing to those who learn better off hardcopy than via screen!

I know there is an online wiki which would encompass this but with the demand for information on the pi, I think this would work a treat. I would love to help get this on board.

Comments greatly appreciated…..as long as constructive.

Thanks for your time
Ash
by nick.mccloud » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:27 pm
Edit your profile to remove your email address from every post - unless you like SPAM!
by SN » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:09 pm
Magazine has to be done.

If only to allow programs to be printed in it which can be typed back in to the raspi to run

Ahhh the good old days...

Incidentally I still have all my original ZX81 programs in paper form like this because i could never get the Cassette to work properly in the early days of 1981 and 1982 :-)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by abishur » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:49 pm
I would love to see a magazine, but I'd also like to see it be a community led effort that is free for download (with the option of having a physical copy mailed to you for a couple bucks?).  A regularly scheduled magazine is something that creates a *TON* of administrative overhead (increasingly so as it gains support and gets mailings), the RPF is soon to hire (though I think they've already picked who it will be) their first full time staffer.  A magazine is probably both outside their field of knowledge and their available time ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Lakes » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:54 pm
Group effort PDF mag, but it would be nice to see one those monthly on-line flash page turn magazines with pictures n stuff :)
by monkeyra » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 pm
SN said:

Magazine has to be done.

If only to allow programs to be printed in it which can be typed back in to the raspi to run

Ahhh the good old days...

Incidentally I still have all my original ZX81 programs in paper form like this because i could never get the Cassette to work properly in the early days of 1981 and 1982 :-)

Wow, you're taking me back to my Your Sinclair days!   Spent hours typing out their programs... still got all the magazines in the loft as well :)
Want a FREE 4GB SD Card?

Click here for details:
http://www.rpiforum.net/forum/topic/56-raspberry-pi-tutorials-guides-how-tos-free-4gb-sd-card-for-all-submissions/
by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:33 pm
Some great ideas there which I never thought about!

If there was an upload site where people could upload there project/news/pictures each month before a dead line and then have it converted to pdf and sent to a mailing list of subscribers?  Then there is the option to self print.

It would also give those who are creative with art to create cover images etc.

The only problem I can see is moderation on content?

P.S thanks for the heads up on addy.  How foolish of me.

Ash
by meltwater » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:39 pm
Very similar thread developing here too…

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....est#p49837

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
by PhilT » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:52 am
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/ is a community produced PDF magazine, for comparison. (Has Python tutorial special editions to download too)

Phil
by SN » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:18 pm
I"d like to see articles in there (or on this site) that would instruct people (proficient with a soldering iron) on how to produce things like this:

Its approximately 28 years old, built from scratch by me (and a mate – we planned a production run… which ran to… two I believe) and it was a clone of something really useful in about 1984/5

Can you guess what it is?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:38 pm
Thanks for the link PhilT, that has provided some useful ideas.

SN, that is exactly the type of thing I was thinking in including in this online mag. Interesting photos, is your model a clone of the boards used to allow free phone calls?

I was thinking of using wordpress to provide a template to the site and install plugins to allow conversion of content into pdf etc, how does that sound?  That way people could add as they please and it be compiled at the end of each month.  Truely open source!

All that would be needed would be hosting and publicity, plus a general framework for content as one of the guys mentioned above.

If anyone has any advice/ideas on this/ wants to get in on helping me make this reality it would be great!

Ash
by Ravenous » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:18 pm
SN said:

I can only see a few gates and things for the address decode, so I guess it's some sort of general I/O port to which you'd add your own device?  (I assembled a few kits from Maplin and the like; Maplin were good in those days.)

Go on tell us, we're dying to know...
by Lynbarn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:46 pm
it has IIRC a Spectrum memory port on it - an early Gertboard equivalent perhaps?
by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:54 pm
Any ideas for names for mag?
by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 pm
MagPi?
by meltwater » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:08 am
The full circle magazine is an excellent example, although it looks like they have a lot of editing work load on that (although it may be easier than it looks depending on what they use).  One thing which I did notice is they have lots of series going on (which is great, although a link to an index of all the previous articles in the series would help a lot – a tinyurl or qrcode would be enough).

There are already a range of blog writers out there which produce great content, so hopefully they will be willing to contribute too.

My thoughts are to build up a common structure for each edition, with regular articles from single authors or groups each month, along with user contributed stuff in relevant sections (low level hardware projects, coding q&a, tips, good games, board reviews etc etc).  It just needs to be original, quality content (ideally with some personality).

I would suggest to start with, just building it up slowly, perhaps build a site or blog which contains the articles and compile them into a mag when there is enough content (you could even experiment with the layouts by having a home page which holds it together).  The process can be refined and the schedule tightened once the first few editions are put together.  This would kick it off, and allow the learning process to start.

PiUser has been mentioned else-where (back-in-the-day reference), MagPi is quite good too.

I would love "Raspberry Sauce" to be used for something…even if it is just a coding section…

by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:05 pm
Hi all.

Hows this for starters?

http://themagpi.wordpress.com/
by Jim Manley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:21 pm
MagPi looks nice.  I guess it will look even better with a table of contents which, of course, implies that there is some content!  I can help fill the void, and we need to be careful to structure it with kids in mind to make sure we don"t talk way over their heads, and yet, provide enough detail that we pique the interest of the various levels of intellect at which the R-Pi is aimed.  In fact, I"m sure we will soon attract some quite talented kids who will be able to contribute and show us how it's done.

I"m a volunteer senior docent, artifact restoration engineer and historian at the Computer History Museum (http://www.ComputerHistory.org) in SillyCon Valley and I lived through the microcomputer revolution from the S-100 boat anchors (as Jerry Pournelle affectionately calls them) through the various 6502 variants such as the Ohio Scientific, Apple I and ][, ///, Radio Shack Model 1, 2, 3, 100, the IBM PCs and the clone warriors, the Macs, and now the plethora of iDevices and Androids.  So, the buzz surrounding the R-Pi is certainly stirring old memories (literally – I still have all of my original micros in operating condition! :) ).

We have been developing an educational program with school teachers that includes kids as young as four years old (they can understand how a flip-flop works!).  I am promoting the R-Pi as a demonstration platform since many of the kids are low-income – like many areas populated by the wealthy, it"s both surrounded by and interspersed with some very economically-disadvantaged people.  These range from inner-city ghettos in Oakland to barrios in East Palo Alto, to adjacent agricultural areas that extend outward for hundreds of miles.

This is going to be fun … and even moreso, if we ever actually get our hands on real R-Pi boards ;)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:47 pm
Hey Jim.

Thanks for the post.  I agree and am trying to work on establishing some type of table of contents.  As I am sure you are aware I am currently using Wordpress for the site.  Could you advise on anything more suitable?

As far as content, I was thinking a tutorial section, photos section, nice bits of short code section, long term projects, classroom projects and news?  Any thoughts.

Am completely free as to how the site looks runs, the idea is for it to be a community thing anyway so if anyone wants to edit it just let me know!

Ash
by meltwater » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:47 pm
Great to see it kicked off.

by tzj » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:45 pm
am all for a printed mag :)
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)
by SN » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:53 pm
Ravenous said:

SN said:

I can only see a few gates and things for the address decode, so I guess it's some sort of general I/O port to which you'd add your own device?  (I assembled a few kits from Maplin and the like; Maplin were good in those days.)

Go on tell us, we're dying to know...

Its actually a hand built Kempston Joystick Interface Clone for the Spectrum - we worked in a factory that built mainframes at the time, so we could source most of the components in-house - the board was of the full copper etched variety (actually floated in a tub of nastiness which would have Health & Safety running for the hills now) and the track design our own interpretation from a schematic - and it bl**dy worked too!!!  I robbed the 9 pin joystick socket off it some years later...
by fastkat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:44 pm
A mag would be great. Especially if there was plenty of programming tutorials/simple apps. I learnt so much from typing in progs from mags for the UK101, ZX80, C64. Hasten to add that most of the learning came from debugging programs!

Online resources are great, but you can read a mag any time and write over it as necessary.
by meltwater » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 am
Hi Guys/Gals,

So love the idea of this, hopefully we can join both efforts on the PiUser and the MagPi and collect content together.

Any suggestions for a good place to co-ordinate it, since the forum isn't ideal due to the non editing ability and that things aren't too easy to follow within threads.

We can setup a space in the wiki (under the community section, where article ideas etc can be developed as well as links to the sites and how to get involved.

By using the wiki there is also space for novice writers to begin writing and get help if they want to.

My thoughts on articles for the 1st issue would be things to:

1. introduce the raspberry pi (history of it, it's features etc)

2. cover the getting started basics (what extra hardware is needed, step by step sd card  loading etc, simple cases)

3.Also considering it's availability, ways to cope...(such as setting up VMs, learning python etc on other platforms, alternative hardware for experimenting with low level electronics etc)

[Typing on a mobile device, so sorry for mis-spellings of names etc, also I would link but not easy to open multiple windows to get links etc and crossreferences)

For introduction to RPi, articles like ukscone's story of the rpi (currently in it's 3rd part).  Also tufley has done an excellent article on h2g2 which covers a lot of the beginners information needed by most.

The raspberry pi papercase is perfect to be included in such a project.

Hopefully we can approach the authors and they will be willing to adapt their work for the project.

It would be an excellent bonus for the foundation, if when people do get their raspberry pi's delivered, there is a full magazine to guide them on what they can do with it.  So many RPi users will probably not have clue, so it will be a flight to keep it out of the cupboard and put into use for some.

by ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:29 pm
Hey all.

Great post, thanks Meltwater!

I just mocked up the WordPress site to see what interest we would get, but am happy for it to be focused around a wiki set up in the community wiki section.  With re to the stats, 190 people have viewed themagpi site since Fri and that is with very little promotion so there is def a need for a mag :-p.

Would it be possible for you to set that up please Meltwater?

I will message the PiUser and discuss with them about collaborating.

Love the ideas for articles you have mentioned, plus we can review where people can source the SD card from and other bits etc.  There was a good post on here a while ago about what SD cards it will run off etc so that would be good to include.  I read the posts about the paper case and think that would be great to include.

I think first thing we will need to get a place where people can freely blog, and then I will go about contacting various bloggers and see if we can get them on board.  Will also contact the guy who does the youtube tutorials (have included link on themagpi link above as he is very good.

Shall we get moving on this then?