The MagPi Magazine www.themagpi.com

254 posts   Page 9 of 11   1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
by DarkStarPDX » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:56 pm
To help with the bandwidth situation, I've started seeding a torrent for the August 2012 edition of The MagPi. Here's the magnet link:
Code: Select all
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2859451F9F6696595DA3A2706C0587C38784505A&dn=The%20MagPi%20Issue%204%20Final.pdf&tr=udp%3a//tracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80/announce
--Chris ^_^
by jackokring » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:19 am
Most excellent mag. Just the sort of thing a noob can read. Maybe a TLA of the geek, where one Three Letter Acronym is reported and sorted.
Pi=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock. https://sites.google.com/site/rubikcompression/strictly-long https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1615413/Own%20Work/Leptronics.pdf https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.compression/t22ct_BKi9w
by antiloquax » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:53 pm
Just downloaded the latest issue. Well done!
Just in case anyone is having problems downloading, I've put a copy on my Ubuntu One space:
MagPi Issue 4

Also here's another mirror on my dropbox:
MagPi Issue 4
mark

ps @Jaseman and co. I can't seem to get on IRC at the moment. Something about my IP.
Glad to see you shared the writing credits on the Fish Game Jaseman! Open Source in action!
mark
by DarkStarPDX » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
DarkStarPDX wrote:To help with the bandwidth situation, I've started seeding a torrent for the August 2012 edition of The MagPi. Here's the magnet link:
Code: Select all
Removed.

Wow, well since it's so popular I moved the torrent over to my Amazon S3 account and went ahead and added all the back issues. Download and enjoy!

The MagPi #1, May 2012 - http://s3.darkstarpro.com/torrents/TheMagPi-1-201205.torrent
The MagPi #2, June 2012 - http://s3.darkstarpro.com/torrents/TheMagPi-2-201206.torrent
The MagPi #3, July 2012 - http://s3.darkstarpro.com/torrents/TheMagPi-3-201207.torrent
The MagPi #4, August 2012 - http://s3.darkstarpro.com/torrents/TheMagPi-4-201208.torrent
--Chris ^_^
by Jaseman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:51 pm
Thanks for those mirrors - very helpful. :)
by SuperObComMan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:56 pm
To the MagPi Team,

Great effort guys!

The hardware and programming content takes me right back to my youth when Home Computers were just becoming 'common-place' and I was keen on electronics.

My eldest has been looking for something to occupy him and the articles and content I'm judging will be exactly what he wants since after a couple of attempts at school and TAFE, he's been rather disappointed with what the education system in Oz has been insisting is "computing".

The format of the mag is bright, colourful, and looks great on a screen, whether PC or tablet and I like that, however I also prefer to have a hard copy reference when programming and it's the printing aspect which bugs me a little.

I've printed off the first two issues and I swear I've just about emptied the toner.... ok, so I didn't really use all the toner but it really throws a lot of toner/ink onto a piece paper :)

In some instances, the resulting print is almost counter-productive to it's intent.
For example, the Python scripts which look cool on the 'scrap-paper' on a screen translate to a light grey on mid grey when printed on a laser printer and because the rest of the supporting text is near black, the eyes tend to be drawn to the darker print around it.

So, great content - keep this up! -, fantastic effort with reproducing a real magazine look on the screen but if you get the time, maybe consider what translates to print a lot better in terms of cost and readability, e.g. is it possible to produce the mag in such a way that it's easy to offer an 'economy-mode' version for hard-copy where all background filler of the full-colour version is turned off and the majority of print is black on a white background?

(This doesn't mean kill all colour for a printer-economy version, though. I think it's necessary in sections such as In Control and Scratch because the nature of subjects such as those almost demands it.)

Cheers,

SuperObsessiveCompulsiveMan
by meltwater » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:40 pm
Hey!
Glad you like the mag and enjoying the content. We've had a number of requests regarding ebook versions and B/W print version and personally I am full agreement. As you say, sometimes having it on a bit of paper which you can add notes all over and refer to is far easier, and in that instance all the visually pleasing colours and backgrounds aren't required.

Here is the issue...doing it, on top of producing the mag itself is just something we can't commit to (oddly life also have to happen too).

The good thing is though, is that as we move forward we are moving to using Scribus for the full process, which means in theory at least, the entire magazine source "could" be made available (either openly or by getting involved with the team). There are still some articles we only receive as pdf and scribus isn't always people's first choice (particularly running it directly on the Rpi - Wheezy improves that a little).

But by having the full source in a single base format would mean various teams or individuals would be able to "re-master" the issue in various forms, languages and even print formats.

While I don't see any major issues with this in principle, however we will need to take care that the effort we put into the mag is not compromised by differing versions etc, and "The MagPi" is still the main focus of effort.

Note: Issue 3 is available as an ebook (see previously in this thread), which is probably far better suited to printing black and white (if it looks reasonable enough in non-magazine format). The trouble is that version has been produced entirely by-hand without any source files, which is very time consuming (all credit to nub!).

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
by cutterjohn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:57 pm
ashleigh.stone@doctors.org.uk wrote:http://www.themagpi.com

Issue 1 of the MagPi has been released and can be found at our website listed above.

The MagPi is a free online community led magazine aimed at educating all levels of user, acting as a media to share projects and ideas.

All constructive comments are welcome.  Articles are now being accepted for issue 2.

Hope you all enjoy.

The MagPi team.
Nice magazine, but I have a question as I came across this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Ma ... 4605433a84
today on ebay.

Is this legit? Did you guys ever actually print copies? Seemed to me like it was all PDF online only type of thing...
by williamhbell » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:13 pm
Hi,

We have discussed printing hard copies several times, but have not stepped out and started printing them. The problem is that there is a significant financial risk if we print enough for the cost per copy to be of the order of one pound.

http://www.printinggood.co.uk/Magazine- ... -Magazines

Beyond the printing problem there is the distribution. To reduce this risk and solve the distribution, I tried contacting other computer magazines to see if associated distribution might be possible but have not had any replies. If anyone reading this thread has a bright idea to solve this problem, please step forward. Cash donations and someone in the printing industry might be able to solve our problem.

Thanks and best regards, Will
by tzj » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:28 pm
cutterjohn wrote:

Issue 1 of the MagPi has been released and can be found at our website listed above.

The MagPi is a free online community led magazine aimed at educating all levels of user, acting as a media to share projects and ideas.

All constructive comments are welcome.  Articles are now being accepted for issue 2.

Hope you all enjoy.

The MagPi team.
Nice magazine, but I have a question as I came across this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Ma ... 4605433a84
today on ebay.

Is this legit? Did you guys ever actually print copies? Seemed to me like it was all PDF online only type of thing...

as far as I know, no it isn't. we haven't been contacted by the seller to authorise it either. let us know if you find any more. thanks.

edit: in her disclaimer she mentions the CD and documentation are exclusive to eBay by her and also states she is giving us part of the proceeds, which we have not been made aware of!
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)
by Justwondering321 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:39 pm
Great Magazine. I love reading it on my kindle. One thing I would like to see in your 'In control' section is something about PWM and analogue components like potentiometers. Just because this is where I get stuck in Python! Other than that GREAT work... Keep it up!
by Montala » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:15 pm
I see that the MagPi magazine offer on EBay has now been removed by the seller.
Whether that was as a result of your direct intervention or not I don't know, but I see that he was based in Texas, and not in the U.K.... not that it probably makes any difference anyway!

I am also one of those folk who do like to have a printed copy of a 'magazine' in my hand, and always prefer a professional offering, rather than one I have printed out myself... I accept that others are obviously going to have different views on this subject though!

It is definitely a great magazine though, and all credit must be given to the production 'team' behind it all ! :)
by Jaseman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:04 pm
The Ebay seller was not associated with us in any way. We don't know who she is. We also received no proceeds from any sales. We don't even have a mechanism for receiving funds. I believe Ash approached the seller and those listings have since been removed from Ebay.

I'm not entirely sure what our polocy is on this to be honest. Our intention has been to provide the magazine as a free download and have left printing in the hands of the public.

There's no issue as far as creating free download mirrors online. We also welcome any volunteers that might want to assist in producing a text-only or more ink-efficient version of the magazine. We can provide all the source material - we just don't have the manpower to cater for this option at the moment.

Once you get into the business of making profit, printing and distributing physical copies of the magazine or producing CD-ROM's, the administration becomes far more complicated which is why we have steered clear of it thus far.

If anyone is considering mass distrubution of our magazine for profit, we would at least like them to discuss it with us first. Printing off your own personal copy, or handing out some free copies around schools, etc. is one thing - but the idea that someone is making profit off the back of our hard work is not really in the spirit of the project. Our aim is to provide helpful/educational information to the community.

I'm sure the other contributors to the magazine would dislike the idea of an individual profitting from their work, whilst that individual has contributed nothing to the project. Although we do appreciate there is interest from our readers in having the option of buying a printed copy, so in some ways, you could argue that they are providing a service.

We have not copyrighted any of the material, because we want the information to be freely distributable, therefore there is nothing stopping someone from repackaging it for profit.

Personally - I won't lose any sleep over it, however it does seem distasteful, in the same way that people are buying up large quantities of the hardware with the sole intention of exploiting the supply/demand issues, and reselling Raspberry Pi's for double the price (Or more) on Ebay.

Antiloquax set a good example. He had two Raspberry Pi's. He sent his spare one to me in good faith, and I then reimbursed the cost through PayPal. Although he didn't profit from it directly, I was able to use this Pi to write and test many new articles for the magazine.
by bredman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:19 pm
The MagPi magazine is published under a CC BY SA license (see the bottom of the front cover).

This means that the content may be used commercially.
by Jaseman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:14 pm
That's true, but anyone stating that 'Some of the proceeds will go to the creators of the magazine' would be a lie. I'm not sure of the legalities surrounding donations, but I assume that if those donations reached us personally, it would be a taxable form of income. Even if the MagPi was a business with some sort of account, that would be subject to tax and probably a host of other regulations, that I personally don't have the energy to investigate. Unlike the Raspberry Pi Foundation, The MagPi is not a registered charity.
by exartemarte » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:05 pm
It's a pity that you should have to get involved in this, given the generous spirit in which you have created the magazine - which I think is brilliant, by the way.

I'm no expert on copyright, but seems to me that you should assert your rights to your intellectual property, then grant a general right of non-profit use by individuals, schools and colleges. I don't know whether that would stand up in court - and I'm guessing you might not want to take it that far anyway - but at least no one could claim that they thought it was okay to copy your magazine and sell it without your agreement.
by tzj » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:09 am
as far as I know, only public domain licences require no authority when reproducing in mass quantities, all others require some form of contact with the copyright owners to authorise mass reproduction. the sa-nc licence would to my knowledge prevent third party sales all together...
but if no-one negotiates, or refuses to then the sa-nc should be used...
however, the problem would still affect issues prior to the one that has the changed licence.
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)
by rurwin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:39 am
The CC BY SA license gives permission to copy to as many people as one wants. It is only necessary to credit the original authors and not limit the recipients' rights to do the same.

Whether or not to allow commercial exploitation is an interesting question. Is it better to allow it and have the MagPi reach people that it otherwise would not? Or is it better to ensure that nobody makes an unfair profit out of it?

If the team wants to stop it, then just use a CC BY SA NC license.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jaseman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:43 pm
I just want an easy life, so the stuff I've put out there is for free. Use it, sell it or whatever you like.

I might not like the ethics of how some people behave, but I'm not prepared to stamp a bunch of legal requirements onto it. People break the laws anyway.

We've had offers from publishers to write a book, so we can always go down that path if we want to profit from our efforts and have a little more copyright protection.

I see the MagPi as being similar to these forums. The community can use it to share knowledge and experience. The difference is with the magazine, that you get more of a filtered publication. We've basically plucked out snippets of information from various sources and thrown the more relevant parts into a magazine. You don't have to go hunting through various websites and forums to find out which of it is accurate or worry about misleading comments. There will be mistakes in the magazine, but it's really down to the community to help us make it the best it can be - particularly by testing out the tutorials whilst the magazine is in 'draft'.
by oyot » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:51 pm
You can also download http://www.devicegadget.com/magazine-raspberry-pi

Hope you all enjoy.

The MagPi team.
by Jaseman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm
I'm a bit concerned about Issue 5 - Where are you MagPi Team? Where's the content?
by bredman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:18 pm
Command Line Clinic has been submitted for issue 5.
by kirbyman62-2 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:18 pm
Jaseman wrote:I'm a bit concerned about Issue 5 - Where are you MagPi Team? Where's the content?

I believe I submitted another Progamming Fundamentals section a little while ago (pre-issue 4), did you get the e-mail?
by williamhbell » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:48 pm
Jaseman wrote:I'm a bit concerned about Issue 5 - Where are you MagPi Team? Where's the content?

Hi Jaseman,

There appears to be enough content to fill 32 pages and still put some articles aside for next time. Nick and Alan have been busy laying out the remaining articles. There is an updated contents page, which needs to be trimmed to remove one page to fit.

We do not have a star letter at the moment. Hopefully, the Scribus source for the other articles will arrive in your Issue5 folder soon.

Any idea what happened to tzj? Did he manage to kill his Pi?

Best regards,

Will

P.S. I've been on holiday, well at least that is my excuse.
by williamhbell » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:50 pm
bredman wrote:Command Line Clinic has been submitted for issue 5.

Thanks Bredman.
We got it. It is in the layout stage at the moment and should appear in the online draft soon.
Regards, Will