Got Puredata working w/ Sound

9 posts
by 0x73DB07 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:09 am
Hi all, I just wrote up a description of how I got Puredata (an open-source realtime sound synthesis environment) running on my R-Pi:
http://log.liminastudio.com/programming/running-puredata-on-the-raspberry-pi

Let me know if this works for you; I went through a lot of trial and error!
by newmiracle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 am
Thanks so much for posting this! I'm looking to use pd, as well. Please continue posting your RPi/Pd adventures.
by alz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:43 pm
any luck getting pd-extended working?
by 0x73DB07 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:46 pm
alz wrote:any luck getting pd-extended working?

As a matter of fact, yes:
http://log.liminastudio.com/writing/tutorials/how-to-build-pd-extended-on-the-raspberry-pi

Check it out! It works, however, for some reason audio output is messed up when using externals. I've only tried a few, but, for instance, putting [freeverb~] on a signal creates a huge amount of distortion, whereas using [ead~] ends up silencing the sound entirely. Very strange.
by damaru » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:55 pm
this is great - puredata on the PI, ChucK is also working ok at this point and I was playing around with supercollider with not much luck at this point ;)

Yeah generative live coding with raspberry pi!

I started to think about (fluxus) too, but feel it might be to heavy for the pi
by jfenwick » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:50 pm
Super excited to have gotten far enough to have audio working in pd-extended!
Has anyone:
- Solved the static in the audio problem
- Gotten GEM working?

If so, please document how you did it!
by schrittmacher » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:14 am
Nice work!

I just tried your sample patch on 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian and it works - kinda. First I thought it's broken because it crackled like hell. I thought it might be clipping and turned down alsa pcm level down to 20% and it suddenly it worked without heavy crackling. Yeay!

When I tried it again it crackled again. So I just quickly repeated the test and it's save to say that the effect is completely random. A real pitty. Was hoping to get live interaction working via gpio with anything (like pulseaudio) but since that isn't working because of broken alsa I'll probably wait for more mature alsa and usb and what not in the rpi images to come.
by grrrz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:24 am
yes thanks for the info,
I've given hope on the internal audio though, it's really awful (looks like an 8 bit soundcard from the 90's)
but I'm looking forward to fidling with midi and gpio through puredata,
midi works well (but it's still not really clear when you have several midi I/o including virtual one how to choose which is which), I have an edirol um 3ex, plus a virtual midi cable
(with "modprobe snd-virmidi"), and I'm looking for a way to use the gpio directly from pd.
If anyone has an idea
also in the gui there is a bug when you create a new patch the window is stuck on the upper left corner and you can't do anything.
by flexidisc » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 pm
Hi all,

I followed the instructions for this and came up with numerous errors. I got through step four, but after that it fell apart for me. Every time I use rsync, it times out. I noticed that someone else mentioned a similar problem on the PD extended article itself, and that it hadn't yet been replied to.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Getting PD vanilla to work was great, but to really use the Pi in an interesting way (using sensors, etc.) I really need to get PD Extended working.

I apologize if these are newb questions, I work primarily with Max Msp. Thanks.