Networked Speaker/ USB Soundcard

21 posts
by atek3 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:25 pm
I'm building a small speaker system in my kitchen. It'll be quite simple, two speakers, amplifier, raspberry pi. The RPi will connect to my LAN wirelessly. The RPi will connect to the amp via an Creative USB soundcard (supported under ALSA). I'd like the setup to be headless, controlled via my android smartphone. All my music is stored on a linux NAS running subsonic.

What do we think would be the optimal way to configure this. Set up PulseAudio as the sound output of the Linux Server and the sound input of the RPi? Install a minimalist DLNA player on the RPi? Install XBMC on the Rpi?

thanks,
atek3
by error404 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:51 am
I would recommend MPD. It's designed for this and works excellently and has good clients for most platforms, you'll just want to use NFS or Samba or something to share the files rather than Subsonic. XBMC would also be pretty good; the remote app on Android is quite good, it's a bit heavy but if that's all the box is doing...

You could do all this *and* the PA network audio if you wanted to for some reason stream audio from your desktop YouTube or whatever.
by atek3 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:47 am
MPD on the pi and pmix on my cellphone seems to be a pretty strong combo.

is pmix the best android client for MPD?

thanks
by error404 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:02 am
MPDroid (a fork of pmix) or pmix itself seems to be the way to go. I don't often use it myself, it doesn't suit my needs right now that well (I have XBMC at the home theatre and otherwise am sitting at a PC or mobile).
by rossburton » Thu May 31, 2012 10:15 am
You might want to look at Guacamayo. https://github.com/Guacamayo/meta-guacamayo.

It's a little raw at the moment but we're building a Yocto-based distribution for networked media devices. The first release, shipped a few weeks ago, implements the UPnP MediaRenderer specification for audio. There are plenty of caveats as this project is very young but my RPi turned up this morning so we've started merging the RPi support.

There is a wiki on that site with some more details and a roadmap, and we're often in #guacamayo on FreeNode.
by IMG » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:01 pm
This Guacamayo sounds like exactly what I am looking for - are binaries/images available?
I tried building it quickly but it failed on gcc dev-install. Also I think it was building for qemu, not raspberry pi.

It looks AirPlay is on the roadmap but not integrated yet - is that right?
by rossburton » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:26 pm
Raspberry Pi support is very much experimental at the moment, we literally merged the basic infrastructure in late last week.

Correct, AirPlay is not there yet. The good thing about Guacamayo is that you can prototype it in a qemu VM or on existing hardware, and "porting" to rpi involves changing the target machine.

I can make a semi-official "intel-ish" image of the 0.1 release available which will boot on anything with Atom-onwards and integrated sound if there's interest. At the moment we generally expect anyone interested to build it themselves because it's so young.
by Handaloo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:59 pm
I'm looking at a very similar setup for my kitchen.

I've had my Pi a week or two, and I'm going to use Raspbmc http://www.raspbmc.com/ with the iOS remote on my iphone, with either a set of USB powered speakers (If i will handle that) or a wall powered set (if not).

I've already played with Raspbmc connecting to my Windows home server where my movies and music is based and it works great!

Music player with no screen required. Job Done :)
by Handaloo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:23 pm
Oh, and by the way, Xbmc supports Airplay, so using Raspbmc means Airplay is already a usable feature :lol:
by s7mx1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:40 pm
Pulseaudio the best reliable audio streaming over wifi I have tested so far.

I created a pulseaudio firmware or TP-Link WR703N (up to v 1.5) early this year so you could just flash it to WR703N and it would work with most usb soundcard/speakers and its plug and play.

If you could install pulseaudio on your pi or build puleaudio support into xbmc you could stream audio throughout your house.

I do prefer WR703N over pi in this respect as its has rather good build-in wifi chip and is much cheaper.
by Handaloo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:51 pm
by s7mx1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:53 pm
That's really old news. XBMC for pi currently isn't built against pulseaudio. I do recommend pulsaudio 1.0 or even 2.0.

Handaloo wrote:http://xbmc.org/topfs2/2009/01/09/pulseaudio-and-xbmc-for-linux/

:D
by Handaloo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:56 pm
Ah ok, I just google it and saw that.

My bad.

I have RC3 of Raspbmc running mine at the moment and it's superb.
by s7mx1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:03 pm
Best wait for raspbmc move to wheezy as otherwise its really hard to build pulseaudio 1.0/2.0 (library dependency).

RC4 should fix some small bugs presented in RC3.

Handaloo wrote:Ah ok, I just google it and saw that.

My bad.

I have RC3 of Raspbmc running mine at the moment and it's superb.
by willwach » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:35 am
I started to use mpd with MPDroid and it works fine.
I only connected the RPi with LAN, AudioJack2Cinch with my StereoReceiver and with power.
No Screen connected.

But I got the problem, how to shutdown the box. It's not good to simply plug off from power supply, but i don't like start a pc or laptop to ssh to RPi and shut it down.
So I started creating an Android APP to Shutdown the RPi by button click.
It also checks if connected to RPi and can "shutdown and halt" and also "shutdown and restart"
Its in beta state and if you are interested and like to test, just write an email.

It works fine and i'm thinking on buying some more RPis to have players in most rooms.
by Handaloo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:19 pm
I'd definitely be interest in an app like that !

I have an SSH program on my iPhone but its cumbersome and you have to log in each time and type the SSH commands manually :?
by willwach » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:47 pm
Handaloo wrote:I'd definitely be interest in an app like that !

I have an SSH program on my iPhone but its cumbersome and you have to log in each time and type the SSH commands manually :?

OK, fine. But you wrote "on my iPhone".
You only have an iPhone?
Actually I'm developing only for Android.
If it is requested I can ask an other developer for iPhone.
by Handaloo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 pm
Sorry! Should have said, I have an iPhone and an Android Tablet :geek:
by maxime » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:10 am
I have the same setup as you propose to do but instead of the kitchen, it my hifi system.
I use the loop module of alsa to stream out from the NAS (the NAS has mpd since it's much more powerfull and I want MPD to be able to stream to the web and do other stuff, on the Pi it would kill it).
You can look here for an almost tutorial -> http://geekboy.fr/cheap-sound-server

The Pi only keeps an open ssh connection with my NAS to stream the music, the bandwith need is so small that it should work on everything !

The only tricky parts in this is to create a good asound.conf for your USB card (I had trouble with mine since it only supports 48kHz )
by willwach » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:18 am
I put the app in the playstore as beta.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Controller

So, feel free to test it and give feedback.

Handaloo wrote:I'd definitely be interest in an app like that !

by mikedad » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:55 pm
atek3 (op), which Creative USB soundcard are you using? I am also looking for a decent external USB with ALSA drivers and already proven pi support.