using Pi as a USB sound recorder

3 posts
by tuck1s » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:53 am
Hi, I have an audio mixing desk that has a USB audio input / output (via the usual USB "B" connector).
I was wondering whether the Pi would make a good device to use as a sound recorder. The idea being, to leave the Pi connected to the desk during a gig, writing to the SD card. At the end of the gig - just pull the USB card out, read it in a PC to get the files out (or else transfer the files via ftp I suppose).

I thought about also adding a simple LED display via the I/O ports just to give confidence that the recording is working OK.

Just wanted to ask the experienced people on this forum for a few tips as I begin the project:
- If I need specific USB drivers, where to go for those?
- Do I need to upgrade my Pi? (it's got the first version of Raspbian on it)
- Do you expect a problem with latency or dropped samples at 44.1kHz stereo via USB?
- For simple I/O to drive LEDs on/off, can we use the pins on the Pi directly, or is a Gertboard (or something similar) a good idea?

If anyone else is interested in the project, let me know and I'll blog it as I go along.
by atom » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 pm
If the desk works with the standard Linux USB audio drivers this might be possible. If it doesn't then you're out of luck, as there's no way you're going to get hold of drivers for it, short of writing your own.

The first thing to do if you can't get it to work on the Pi straight off would be to boot a Linux distro on your PC (if you don't already have one installed) and see if you can get it to record from the mixer. If you can, these means it should work with the standard USB drivers.
by aonsquared » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:14 pm
I'm working on speech recognition on the Raspberry Pi, and I've found that for sound recording the latest Raspbian (2012-09-18) is crucial to getting it right, due to the USB fixes in the latest firmware update.