Logitech Media Server / Raspbian

101 posts   Page 1 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5
by allthingspi » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:02 am
Hi all

The first thing I did when my Pi arrived was getting Logitech Media Server up and running. The second thing I did was to get it up and running on Raspbian!

In order to assist those who wish to do the same I have posted a tutorial along with binaries here:
http://allthingspi.webspace.virginmedia.com

I have not yet put anything on the site for people to add comments, so until then please feel free to report back here.
Steve
by arj03 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:36 pm
Thank you for this. I've been waiting for something like this to try out logitech media server.
by Killerbee » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:02 pm
Thanks I was struggling with the CPAN stuff ;)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=9239#p107532
I will try to install server and slave tonight.

Thanks for this nice present/howto. The 9th of July is my birthday!.
KB
by allthingspi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 pm
Hi arj/kb

Glad you liked the site. Feel free to post any questions/feedback here; I'll try to help if I can
Steve
by truehl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:12 am
Hi allthingpi,
downloaded you image and got one issue:
The network-interface eth0 does nor come up, because of udev. I know this behavior for a long time. Here the solution:

Code: Select all
rm /etc/udev/rules.d/*
rm /lib/udev/write_net_rules

If you do this, everyone can use your images, becaue the MAC-address don't matter.

P.S.: Why don't you zip your image? I wrote a PM to you please take a look. If you need space for your images, maybe we can come together and I can host your images?! I've not tried LMS so far, but I will and report back.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by truehl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:16 am
You have also change the /etc/fstab. There are automatically generated entries from your setup included. The UUID names are from your initial setup!
truehl
by allthingspi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:52 pm
Hi Thomas

Thanks for the great feedback I'll change those things and get a new image upped.

I can't reply to PMs yet I am afraid as I am new to the forum!

The Raspbian image I upped was zipped, did you mean upload an image with LMS already set up? If so I was/am planning to, there's a "Coming Soon" link on the front page. I kind of got sidetracked having a look at Airplay (I got data coming through the pipe but LMS' Wavein plugin wasn't picking it up. I didn't get round to looking into why yet).

Thanks for the offer of hosting. I guess we will discuss once I can PM; I'd better get writing some useful posts to get my count up!
Steve
by truehl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:14 pm
allthingspi wrote:...Thanks for the great feedback I'll change those things and get a new image upped.

Hi Steve,
Don't mind, I did the same things long ago with my first images for SqueezePlug. I see potential in working together on the SqueezeBox (LMS) things. Maybe you would have fun to join the SqueezePlug project, I think we have the same goals. If yes, tell me and we should discuss things via Skype or so.

B.t.w. integrating LMS in your image is not a good idea, because you are not allowed to distribute LMS. Only Logitech can do this. For that reason LMS is not integrated in my images, but you can install it from an integrated script. As you see, there is potential for working together! :D

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl
by truehl » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:56 am
Just an other feedback,
I got LMS running on allthingpi's image. First it seems to run, I can't see any performance improvement to the "official" Debian distribution. The web interface of LMS seem to work faster, scanning the Library was the same speed. After 2 hours, scanning stopped an the complete RPi freezes. Then I switchted to Hexxeh image of Raspbian. Got LMS installed here, but after the installation RPi also was also freezed.

So for this time I got lost with Raspbian, and switched back to Debian Squeeze, the official distro for RPi.

I'll keep an eye on Raspian, because it looks promising. Stability seems to be a problem now, my SqueezePlug installation with LMS and Squeezeslave works without issues for over 3 Weeks now.

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl
by allthingspi » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:36 pm
Hi Thomas

I haven't had my install run for any length of time scanning media, I've just been getting things up and running then moving on to the next thing. My tests just involved a couple of mp3s and Internet radio which all seemed stable for the lengths of time I tested it for.

I'm actually awaiting delivery of another Pi but it's some time away, that way I can set up my Media Server and leave it running; I'll be able to tinker with other stuff on the other Pi.

So I can try this myself, could you let me know whether your media was on the SD card, a USB drive/memory stick, NAS drive or other? How many mp3s will give me a good 2+ hour scan?

Have you still got an SD card with this stuff on? If so you please could try adding the following to /etc/sysctl.conf, rebooting and trying again?
vm.min_free_kbytes = 16384

Thanks
Steve
by forsakenrider » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:49 pm
Im trying to do this using your image. I believe it is not connecting to the internet. Im getting:

could not resolve 'archive.raspbian.org'

any idea why? It also says a few other things about having the time set correctly so I tried:

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

And still the same problem
by allthingspi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:46 am
Hi forsakenrider

Did you try Thomas' suggestion above where he stated eth0 does not come up? I would suggest running those two commands and then try rebooting.
Steve
by truehl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:58 am
allthingspi wrote:Hi forsakenrider

Did you try Thomas' suggestion above where he stated eth0 does not come up? I would suggest running those two commands and then try rebooting.
Steve

I'm sure that will work!
truehl
by truehl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 pm
Hi allthingspi and all the others,
I've just tried the new "offical" Raspbian distro and want to give you a feedback:

SqueezeBox Server (LMS) without the patches from allthingspi does not work. I can get no GUI from the webinterface. With the patches I get a GUI. I was able to configure LMS and scanned a small library. That all went fine so far. Now I'm playing music and it all seems to work. I'm not sure, but maybe my fault at last try was that I ran out of space. My Lib is very large and I did not expand the SD-Card before testing. I'll keep on testing with a small lib first before I will scan the full monty.

So that's good news so far, I'll keep on testing. If all works fine from here, I'll switch SqueezePlug to armhf. Thanks a lot to allthingspi for the "patch". From what I can see now is, that the web-interface is much quicker with Raspbian than with Squeeze.

@allthingspi: Where did you got the patches from, or did you figure it all out by yourself?

Have fun,
Thomas

P.S. Working together in the project would be fun !!!
truehl
by allthingspi » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:44 am
Hi Thomas

Yes all of the stuff on my site was as a result of playing; all the perl modules/faad I built myself, the patches I created to enable others to make the changes I had made to scripts easily. It was a time consuming process getting it all working on Raspbian that I decided to put all that stuff up my site to save everyone else the time and trouble.

Steve
by richboyce » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:49 pm
Hi all,

Just to let you know that there's a file out of place in the tarball - One of the libraries is outside its folder, so squeezebox server fails to start.

arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int/auto/EV.so

should be

arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int/auto/EV/EV.so

Once that's done, following the instructions in the top post works beautifully. Thanks for this, and thanks for sharing!

Rich
by truehl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:03 pm
Hi Rich,
are you sure? I tried the fix without moving the file and it works well !?
truehl
by jambrose » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:00 pm
Hi Steve,

Great instructions on your site: http://allthingspi.webspace.virginmedia.com/

However I am unable to access the Logitech Web Console. It says it has started however I am unable to access any control panel.

Have you got any suggestions? Possibly changing the port etc?

Jon
by jambrose » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:43 pm
allthingspi wrote:Hi all

The first thing I did when my Pi arrived was getting Logitech Media Server up and running. The second thing I did was to get it up and running on Raspbian!

In order to assist those who wish to do the same I have posted a tutorial along with binaries here:
http://allthingspi.webspace.virginmedia.com

I have not yet put anything on the site for people to add comments, so until then please feel free to report back here.
Steve

Hi when trying to run squeezeboxserver --d I get the following:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ squeezeboxserver --d
dirsFor: Didn't find a match request: [scprefs]
Can't load '/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.14/arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int/auto/Media/Scan/Scan.so' for module Media::Scan: libswscale.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl/5.14/DynaLoader.pm line 184.
 at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Scanner/LMS.pm line 18
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Scanner/LMS.pm line 18.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Scanner/LMS.pm line 18.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Control/Commands.pm line 46.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 434.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 434.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Client.pm line 32.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Alarm.pm line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Alarm.pm line 48.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Buttons/Alarm.pm line 12.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Buttons/Alarm.pm line 12.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Buttons/Common.pm line 41.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Buttons/Common.pm line 41.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver line 186.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver line 186.

I have followed your instructions on your website Steve. Have you got any other suggestions?

Jon
by badbart » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:52 pm
Jon,

I also had the same problem with squeezeboxserver failing to start. It had been working, so I suspect a package update broke something.

I followed the instructions from https://doukki.net/doku.php?id=wiki:tutoriels:logitechmediaserver.howto and I got it working.

This is what I did:

# apt-get install ffmpeg
# apt-get install perl-base
# apt-get install libmoosex-role-timer-perl
by Killerbee » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:21 pm
badbart wrote:Jon,

I also had the same problem with squeezeboxserver failing to start. It had been working, so I suspect a package update broke something.

I followed the instructions from https://doukki.net/doku.php?id=wiki:tutoriels:logitechmediaserver.howto and I got it working.

This is what I did:

# apt-get install ffmpeg
# apt-get install perl-base
# apt-get install libmoosex-role-timer-perl

I am facing the same issue :cry:
My setup was working perfect for more than 3 months. After an apt-get update dist-upgrade the logitechmediaserver doesn start anymore.
I ran the above suggestion but it did not help me.

Does anybody know how to solve this?

KB
by Killerbee » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:00 pm
Solved the PB myself by running this command :)
sudo ldconfig

Does anybody know what this command means?
KB
by allthingspi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:11 pm
Hi guys

Sorry I am afraid I haven't been around for a bit as have been extremely busy.

From the comments above it sounds like my tutorial needs an update due to more recent packages being released that have broken the setup.

I will take a look and update my site as soon as I can
Steve
by allthingspi » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:37 am
Hi

Ok I just updated Rasbian using apt-get and indeed LMS stopped working. Looking at the output from strace it seems that /usr/local/lib is not being searched for the libmediascan library; I am not sure why as I have a conf file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d which contains '/usr/local/lib'. As a temporary measure you can get things up and running by creating a sym link to libmediascan as follows:
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libmediascan.so.0.0.0 /usr/lib/libmediascan.so.0

I'll try and look into why once I get some more time.

@Killerbee - ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache to the most recent shared libraries.

@Rich - Like Thomas (truehl)'s, mine seems to work with that file where it is so not sure why your's didn't. I do agree that file looks out of place though! I'll get an updated tarball up. Good spot and thanks for posting!

@Jon - What is the output of the following commands:
dpkg --get-selections |grep libswscale2
ls -l /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libswscale.so.2

Steve
by foolonthehill » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:29 pm
Thanks allthingspi - I have just been just trying a similar thing in an effort to move LMS across to my pi. I've managed to re-build all the modules myself, but it was very useful to see that it was definitely possible!

I was wondering where you compiled the libmediascan.so and libfaad.so from, and why you found they were needed? I've managed to just rebuild all of the CPAN modules and the faad2/flac/sox binaries and (so far) it seems to be running happily without the extra library files...

foth