Can't get any webcams to work? (I'm seeing /dev/video0)

8 posts
by WPsites » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:33 am
So far I've tried to plug in an existing webcam I had laying around which didn't work and then I purchased an additional (cheap) webcam http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 372375.htm which also refuses to work.

Both webcams after being plugged in show up as /dev/video0 but I cannot get any images from the camera using various image capture programs that can be used from the command line. I've tried using the alpha wheezy image and then the beta wheezy and it's exactly the same.

Anyone got any ideas what could be going wrong here? I can't keep purchasing additional web cams, I'm thinking it must be something software related. Surely both webcams can't be incompatible with Linux?
by MattHawkinsUK » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:38 am
I've got an old Logitech 4000 Pro which I plan to try with Debian "Wheezy" Beta. I've also got a Logitech C570 I can try.

What's the quickest way of testing the image capture? I'll give it a go and see if I have any luck.

I want to use my Pi for some image capture so am also keen to find a combination that works. Ideally I want to buy a pair of cheap webcams for my DIY garage security system. As you say, easy enough to justify the cost as long as they work.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)
by WPsites » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:53 am
There is a post here on using uvccapture: http://blog.pixelami.com/2012/06/uvccap ... n-squeeze/

I tried some other programs but can't for the life of me remember which.
by MattHawkinsUK » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:58 am
I tried my Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 last night. It doesn't work. /dev/video0 appears but uvccapture throws an error.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)
by ashbash » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:58 am
MattHawkinsUK wrote:I tried my Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 last night. It doesn't work. /dev/video0 appears but uvccapture throws an error.

Give it a go with the motion package, I'd be interested to see what happens, I have had problems with uvc and I have seen other threads of a similar nature.

ash
by WPsites » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:54 am
All I keep seeing is "Init v4L2 failed"

I've event tried adding LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/uvccapture which seems to be the fix for every other web cam issue out there but still exactly the same.

I just don't know where to go from here.
by mikerr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:55 pm
It's best to have them attached to a powered hub - the Pi can self power some of them, but its marginal, so they can drop off s soon as you use them.
Got a Pi Camera? View it in my android app - Raspicam Remote ! No software required on the pi
by scorp » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:12 pm
I'm in the same situation with TEVion MD 9308. I see video0 device.
motion works only with LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libv4l/v4l1compat.so,
but in a video0 device dropped and camera disconnected from USB(LED on hub goes off). The same on Debian and Arch. Few days ago i managed to have first frame from camera on web interface, but only once. Hub is powered and shouldn't be a problem because I can run linux from external HDD via it. I suspect camera is too old.