Garage or Home Security

2 posts
by jon0881 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:42 am
Hi,

Here is a very useful idea i have had for use of my Pi. The main problem i have is i have absolutely no idea where to start.

Motorcycle theft is rife and i know many people that have sold up soley becuase they cannot risk loosing their bikes. The best security measures are pysical such as hefty chains etc but maybe the Pi could be used as an early warning system or at worst a tool to capture mug shots of the little buggers.

Here is what i am thinking.

Raspberry Pi installed in the garage with a webcam attached. The Pi would have Motion or Zoneminder on it to manage the webcam, send emails, copy media to box.net/dropbox etc etc. The GP I/O could (?) be used to have an early warning system. Im thinking door contacts, proximity sensors to alert by SMS/EMail/Audiable alarm when they are breached. One step further could be a siren and beacon once all the security measures have been breached.

So, how feasible would that be? I think i could muddle my way through getting motion working but have no idea on the rest. the Pi would likely have to have a web interface to disarm all services when you need to get in the garage.

Cheers

Jon
Last edited by jon0881 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
by jon0881 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:44 am
Maybe an easier option is to use the existing house alarm for all of those and take a live feed from the alarm when it is triggered to the GP I/O on the Pi which can then send the email/sms etc