raspberrypi/pololu3pi

5 posts
by berginmp33 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:54 pm
I just got my new raspberry pi and I am waiting for a charger lead so i can use it i recently found my old pololu 3pi robot gathering dust, I was just wondering could somebody be able to make the robot pololu 3pi be controlled wireless or use the mini cpu to use it for cool functions that it wouldnt normally be able to do by itself.
by mkopack » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:30 pm
Is this the base 3Pi computer, or one with the expansion board (basically has a 2nd level on it with a replacement CPU) ???

But the answer is YES, you CAN do stuff with it, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend to get the hardware to interface them.

Some things you could do -

Assuming you could interface wirelessly, have the 3Pi report back it's movement and has the RPi use that to build up a map of the environment (or even the line if the 3Pi is doing line following.) Basically SLAM.

Use the RPi to add in more advanced features such as hooking up a webcam (assuming you can get the RPi on top of the 3Pi, powered, and interfaced ) and do vision and object detection + recognition to augment the sensors on the 3Pi...

Basically like I said, just depends on what you want to spend and what you want to do. But the RPi and 3Pi certainly CAN work together.
by berginmp33 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:29 am
thanks for your feedback i was hoping someone would say its possible to do it. :D

this is based on the robot pololu 3pi and i could easelly adapt the robot bord to fit the raspberry pi system in it.

also while on the subject could you run the raspbeyy pi off 4 aa batterys so the robot could take it wirelessly + the pololu 3pi robot would be able to take the weight ive put heavy things on it before and it still moves with ease if anyone is wondering. :D
by selektha » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:28 am
The pi will need 5V and 500mAh to run if I remember corectly, do a search on the forum :)
by berginmp33 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:00 pm
selektha wrote:The pi will need 5V and 500mAh to run if I remember corectly, do a search on the forum :)
kk thanks for your help