raspberry pi + usb cam as a remote ip camera

7 posts
by naumcho » Tue May 28, 2013 5:50 am
There are a bunch of network cameras sold out there that you can view with an IP Camera Viewer software from any of the app stores out there. The question is - what protocol do those use and is there software available to turn a raspberry pi with a connected webcam into such an IP Camera. I've seen mentions of using the motion package as well as ffmpeg to stream video but I am not sure what does the IP camera protocol require. Any ideas?

Thanks!
:geek:
by ghans » Tue May 28, 2013 8:09 am
mjpg-streamer , works over HTTP AFAIK.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by mikerr » Tue May 28, 2013 11:01 am
There is no "IP camera protocol"

An IP camera really just means a camera that is accessible by web pages,
usually with different pages for still or streaming output (mjpeg).

There are several ways you could do that on a Pi

"motion" is an all-in-one package with its own webserver, motion detection and command rules etc all built in,
but you could roll your own with apache, mjpg-streamer etc

As well as a usb camera, you can of course use the new raspberry camera...
Got a Pi Camera? View it in my android app - Raspicam Remote ! No software required on the pi
by naumcho » Tue May 28, 2013 2:00 pm
I see - thanks for the responses. A couple of follow up questions I guess:

- The integrated network IP cameras tend to support cool features like two-way audio and control of camera features like lights, relays, sensors, etc - do you know if any of the applications you mention work with such features out of the box? If there is no IP Camera protocol I wonder how these things are done/controlled?
- I am thinking of running the pi on a battery so is there a package out there that doesn't activate the camera until a request is made?

Thanks!
by ghans » Tue May 28, 2013 9:23 pm
1. Custom code. You will have to do it yourself , but much related work has
been done already , so it should be very easy to build on top of it.
2. Dunno.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by naumcho » Wed May 29, 2013 4:26 am
I just tried mjpg_streamer and it's working pretty well. Any references to the related work that you mention for getting the sound working?
by SirLagz » Wed May 29, 2013 4:52 am
AFAIK mjpeg-streamer cannot stream audio as mjpeg is a video only format.
ffmpeg has the capability of streaming both audio and video, however I have not been able to get it streaming both as of yet.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044