Door Access

7 posts
by anjo2 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:34 pm
I'm thinking on making a new project for electric door access, but i dont know if i can do it with Raspberry PI.

There is a example of a similar project here:

There are a lot of features that may be added:

- Open door by SMS (sms proxy, dont need gsm modem)

- Open door by program (easy to do, maybe mobile program with login that send the command to open door, or a page with login to open doors)

- Who have opened the door (apache+php+sql)

- RFID reader (maybe by usb? or is there a better option?)

- Keyboard code reader (dont know how to do that, but opening the door with a pin would be great too)

- Face recognition (Hard to do, but a usb camera and some algorithm)

- Voice recognition (Maybe crazy, but it is an idea)

- Fingerprint (probably a usb fingerprint, maybe too expensive...)

I think that the hard work is making the raspberry open the door, it needs a "PUSH" and "GND" wires, i know that arduino can do this, but it will be more expensive with all the features i need.

For usb ports, i need a hub for power?

Any help will be great.
by davehalladay » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:32 pm
I really like the RFID reader idea. I was thinking about creating an Android app that would ping the RPi that I would set up in my garage. It would be cool to set up RFID as well though. I have no idea how to do either but I think this will be my first project.
by kghunt » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:39 am
I thought of this too as I work for a company that installs door access systems. You can get a 4 output usb relay module on ebay for £20. Then you just need a mifare reader usb or serial (use a manhatten usb to serial converter). It would be fun but ultimately more expensive than a basic access control module.

You could use bluetooth to scan for bluetooth mac address (like linux project blueproximity) but that could be spoofed. Or you could use tasker on android to post to a php web service on the pi using https with login details which would be more secure. That way you could have an open button on your android home screen.
by gjs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:17 am
Anyone know of a good SMS proxy service?

I have found it impossible to find a service for low volumes that does not involve funding spammers.  I currently use a web and email server connected to a fixed line SMS modem at home but the SMS modem seems to be out of production now.
by kghunt » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:49 pm
I can send texts using a usb 3G modem supported by nix too.
by gjs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:31 am
The problem with that is that I cannot find a PAYG SIM card that does not expire if you don't make voice calls, despite the counter assurances of the carrier.
by kghunt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:08 pm
Giffgaff.com had a sim in my tablet for 18 months never made a single call with it.