Raspi as central server for water monitoring and lighting

4 posts
by timhoffman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:40 am
Hi

I have just reached 15 days continuous uptime on my raspi (running adafruit packaged raspbian).

This raspi is running a custom twisted server which is communicating with a locally connectedJeeNode V6 (arduiono compatible with RFM12b 915Mhz transceiver). It is monitoring a remote Arduino Clone (Freetronics Eleven) which controls a 3 phase bore, several DS18B20 temp sensor (one immersed in water) and a Milone liquid level sensor.) The remote node manages water level in a 20m x 5m plant filter for a 120,000 litre capacity collection of 80 ponds growing water lilies and Koi.. as well as monitoring environmentals. Details are continously posted to cosm.

In addition I can monitor and control solar power LED flood lights with PIR sensors from the raspi remotely over the same wireless network.

The JeeNode is connected to the raspi via serial GPIO pins and is drawing power from the +5 pin on the raspi.

I am very impressed with the reliability and how easy it was to get things going especially given how new the hardware and distro's are.

Cheers

Tim
by davidmit » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:16 pm
Hi Tim,

I'd really like to know how you have done this. I'm planning on getting this working for an automated home.

I've bought a couple of the jeenode room nodes (PIR, temp, light and humidity), but would love to know how you have connected via GPIO instead of USB.

Dave
mail@dave-mitchell.com
by Vliegendehuiskat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:41 pm
One of the simplest ways to accomplish this, would be to hook the JeeNode up to the RPi's GPIO serial connection. You can hook it up directly since both the JeeNode and the RPi work with 3,3 Volt logic levels.
by timhoffman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 pm
davidmit wrote:I'd really like to know how you have done this. I'm planning on getting this working for an automated home.

I've bought a couple of the jeenode room nodes (PIR, temp, light and humidity), but would love to know how you have connected via GPIO instead of USB.

Its pretty straightforward. I connected the JeeNode directly from the FTDI headers to the GPIO pins. Here is a discussion on what was done http://forum.jeelabs.net/node/1270. This thread also includes a link to the python server code I am running. (Its based on twisted and monitors the output of hacked versions of RF12Demo - you will get the idea. )

Make sure you disable your the serial console on the GPIO pins. This writeup here http://harizanov.com/wiki/tinysensor/ covers that at the end. Plus you will get to see an awesome little RFM12B gateway board that plugs on to the raspi ;-)

Cheers

Tim