Pi + Bluetooth + SMA Inverter - not stable

15 posts
by dobbers24 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:16 pm
I have my Pi installed with Wheezy, Tesco bluetooth dongle and running from Kindle PSU.
Installed sma-bluetooth software from http://code.google.com/p/sma-bluetooth/
The crontab job then wakes up every 5 minutes to talk to the SMA Inverter to grab the solar panel output data and post to pvoutput. This works fine for a while and then once or twice a day the bluetooth gives up and I have to reboot the whole Pi to clear it. BTW running /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart does not clear the issue.

Is anyone else out there running a Pi to gather stats from SMA Inverters via bluetooth and finding bluetooth unstable after running for a while?

regards,

dobbers
by mavo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:11 pm
Hi,

I'm all set up to get started with exactly the same project, so i cannot say yet if it's unstable. But if you could help with some step by step instructions, then i'd be happy to report feedback.
by Wombatsev » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:21 am
Hi

I have just tried to set it up. I am using a generic Bluetooth device purchased from eBay.
I have found that the Bluetooth device seems to go to sleep and doesn't wake up again. Also when I run the software with the -f to force a connection it hangs the Pi and I have to reboot to get it back.
I am going to try from scratch again over the next week.

Regards
Mark
by honda4life » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:01 pm
Same problem here, tried different receivers, other power supply...
Didn't found a solution after a few days.

You can try hiconfig hci0 reset, but sometimes this isn't even possible.
by PiAir » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:33 pm
@dobber24

> This works fine for a while

Can you explain what you mean by "for a while"? I've got it up and running stable now for 7 days strait. I also use the Tesco nano bluetooth dongle and Raspberry Wheezy.
I haven't created a step-by-step setup instruction in English yet (need to find some time to redo the setup on a different SD card), but I don't know what would cause your bluetooth to crash.
by Wombatsev » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm
Wombatsev wrote:I am going to try from scratch again over the next week.

Regards
Mark

I have started again with a new build of "wheezy".
But it unfortunately locks up still.
I have ordered a new BT device just in case this is the problem.
Will let you know how it goes once it has arrived.

Regards
Mark
by Roger Munford » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:51 pm
I did a course at SMA (12 months ago) and an instructor told me that there have been stability issues with Bluetooth in the past and he recommended getting a HAMA adapter which you can get at Amazon.
I have tried a Belkin adpter which did not work but have used the HAMA adapter without any problem. However I have only used it to connect briefly and download data and so I don't know if it would perform continuously.

Roger
by SirFredman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:50 am
Same here, running a Pi with Wheezy using a cheap no-name ('conceptronic') bluetooth adapter.

After some time the bluetooth connection just dies and can only be brought back with a 'reboot'. This can happen multiple times a day, but the setup might just as well run flawlessly for a day.

Another bluetooth device might be the solution (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15109, so I'll try to get another one and see if that helps.
by Himbeere » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:53 pm
by Wombatsev » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:53 am
Hi all

Started again with a new build of wheezy.

I followed instructions from the below site to the letter.

https://code.google.com/r/rcphills-sma- ... straction/

It now works , for a day anyway!. I am using Logitech USB Bluetooth dongle that I had lying around.
The one thing I found important was to make sure that the raspbian was up to date before you start.

Cheers and good luck.

Mark 7
by honda4life » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:56 am
Read issue comments for a workaround:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/66
by honda4life » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:16 am
And it is working great... Only USB 1.1 for ethernet also :(
Can't find a way to force that specific port in USB 1.1, information found but can't find the right "file" on the pi, even with find :(
by collywobbles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:29 pm
I'm doing the same thing, running smatool to get solar readouts. I was using a bluetooth dongle and a wifi dongle. I tried a powered hub (recommended on the wiki) and that didn't work, I just bought a ethernet over power plug and took the wife dongle out, still no joy.

Have tried an older Belkin BT stick dongle and also a very new mini one.

Looking for a solution!
by honda4life » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:58 pm
I think problem is solved since last release (usb interrupt rate?)
Will see tomorrow.
by honda4life » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:52 pm
It's worth to try this tool:
http://code.google.com/p/sma-spot/
It's a good start to something better then smatool ;)