Portable Powered USB Hub

8 posts
by Juulloo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:43 pm
Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a robot using an RPI, but I need to connect it to several USB Devices, whilst being completely portable, so not connected to a power plug. Since the devices can take up a bit of the power, I need the hub to be powered. I've searched alot on the internet for a battery powered USB hub, but I can't seem to find one. Has anyone got a good idea for where to get one?

Thanks in advance!
by mahjongg » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:51 pm
This is not a "portable powered USB hub" question, its a battery powered Raspberry Pi system question.
Obviously you power the hub and the R-PI from the same 5V source.

A good and cheap converter would be a car cigar plug converter with an USB port as output, and one that can deliver 2 Amperes. These are abundantly available, and cheap. Because they are small they need to be based on a energy efficient design (i.e. a "switching converter") or the heat generated would melt them. So they are ideal for battery powered systems. Normally they take 12V, but most of them will also work with lower input voltages (9 Volt).
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jim JKla » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:58 pm
I think you will find most powered USB hubs run on DC from a psu so all you need is the required battery pack and lead I have a belkin one rated 6v 4A DC 8 port powered hub(1 in 7 out) and that was USB 1
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by cupcake » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:35 pm
Also interested in this.

Is there a powered hub out there expecting 5V, so that the same source can be reused for it and the RPi without voltage regulation?
by ChristopherN » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:41 pm
I use a small battery pack intended to recharge mobile phones. It costs around 30€, has a 5V output, 1500mAh capacity and charges via the USB Host port on any computer.
by Wayne Keenan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 pm
I think the orginal poster was /really/ after a battery powered USB hub, they do exist, for example I have a couple of these: http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-Mobile ... p_redirect
by morphy_richards » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:28 pm
I suppose any powered USB hub can be made portable as long as you are prepared to try wiring up the 5v supply to it yourself. Apparently you can convert a cheap unpowered hub to a powered one very easily so I intend to try doing that when the time is right.
Eg. http://m.instructables.com/id/Adding-an ... p-USB-hub/
by King Ben » Wed May 21, 2014 4:17 pm
by Juulloo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a robot using an RPI, but I need to connect it to several USB Devices, whilst being completely portable, so not connected to a power plug. Since the devices can take up a bit of the power, I need the hub to be powered. I've searched alot on the internet for a battery powered USB hub, but I can't seem to find one. Has anyone got a good idea for where to get one?

By King Ben

Have you concitered using a power hub and making a battery pack for it?
I'm Wondering how long you wish to run the devices and what are they and wight kind of current they draw.
I think it would be possible to make the battery pack you need Must Remember Radio Shack is a good parts depot for components that you will need.