Torrent server

197 posts   Page 3 of 8   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8
by fernan13malaga » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:59 pm
guisacouto wrote:@fernan13malaga

Tks for your reply. You do have speed limit in your files, and that's probably why it keeps working.

transmission-daemon/settings.json
Code: Select all
"speed-limit-down": 100,
"speed-limit-down-enabled": false,

With only 100kb/s it should work ok.. Try setting that to 300 and that will be enough to get a kernel panic.

best regards

Interesting, because I was downloading at 900kbps... ¿?
by asdf-chan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:01 pm
guisacouto wrote:@fernan13malaga

Tks for your reply. You do have speed limit in your files, and that's probably why it keeps working.

transmission-daemon/settings.json
"speed-limit-down": 100,

With only 100kb/s it should work ok.. Try setting that to 300 and that will be enough to get a kernel panic.

best regards

As you can see, >speed-limit-down-enabled: false. So ...

BTW, I'm facing this issue as well. With ~1500Kb/s I can download small files without problems. But if it's something of >400mb, brrr, kernel panic.

p.s: It's my first post on this forum, :oops:
by fernan13malaga » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:07 pm
Limit is inactive
Attachments
Captura.jpg
Screenshot of web interface
Captura.jpg (33.29 KiB) Viewed 7571 times
by guisacouto » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:50 pm
I thought I read "true". My bad. I've probably made some confusion with mine since I was comparing them.
by declutter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:37 pm
Has anyone tried it with this?

http://www.linuxsystems.it/2012/06/rasp ... mal-image/

Apparently it has a

"Workaround for a kernel bug which hangs the Raspberry Pi under heavy network/disk loads"

D
by fernan13malaga » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:21 pm
declutter wrote:Has anyone tried it with this?

Apparently it has a

"Workaround for a kernel bug which hangs the Raspberry Pi under heavy network/disk loads"

D

me, and worked fine for me, but not for others. Can you try it post your results please?
by asdf-chan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:02 am
declutter wrote:Has anyone tried it with this?

Apparently it has a

D

But if you read what's the 'workaround':

It’s just a vm.min_free_kbytes directive, otherwise the pi goes OOM and hangs even when there is plenty of memory available.
by fernan13malaga » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:56 pm
First freeze with my configuration.

I was downloading at ~900Kbps and viewing a high bitrate fullhd video over samba.

Downloading at the same speed and watching "normal" videos has no issues.
by Caótico Fanegas » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:35 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to keep it stable by lowering the max connections and download speed and increasing them to see what's the limit, but testing this takes a lot of time. I've started with 20 connections and 500Kbps, and I've successfully raised the number of connections to 40 with no kernel panic.

I've also activated the download queue, starting with one torrent at a time. I'll keep posting my results here.

Hope we can find a solution for this issue soon.
by guisacouto » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:52 am
I've been able to crash the pi with 100kb/s and <10 connections so no luck on trying to find a reasonable value to get torrent working i guess
by Caótico Fanegas » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:28 am
Hi again,

I left the Pi working all night, and looks like after a few hours, the Pi went down again and I had to reduce the max number of connections to 20 again. However, with such few connections, I can't reach any relevant download speed, only peaks of ~400kbps.

However, I've downloaded a debian DVD image through classic http transfer with wget, sustaining download speeds of more than 1.5Mbps and no problems at all, so I'd say that it's the number of connections what kills it.
by Kilamite » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:16 pm
I don't believe my Pi is crashing during this - I've been logged in remotely through SSH when the transmission daemon has crashed and not been kicked out of SSH. I've never witnessed this crash through the GUI.

Today, I downloaded a full 1GB without a crash at 250KB/s max.

Now, I downloaded at 400-800KB/s and when it hit 700MB (after 30 mins) it crashed. When the Pi is receiving higher torrent speeds, it does get a bit laggy with SSH.

When the transmission daemon crashes, I just restart it and it continues downloading without a problem. Maybe a temporary fix would be to write a script to check every 5 minutes if the transmission daemon is running, and if not, start it again.
by Caótico Fanegas » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:31 pm
That's not my case at all, when my Pi crashes, ssh, samba and transmission crash. I tried to plug a HDMI monitor to see the output, and it just keeps repeating the same lines so fast that I can't read them, not even my camera is fast enough to get a clear pic of what it's saying.
by Kilamite » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:00 pm
Maybe I need to actively monitor my Pi when the transmission daemon crashes. But I always remain connected via SSH, so I believe nothing is crashing apart from the transmission daemon.

I've downloaded 'monit' and will set it up later to check if the transmission daemon is running every minute and if not, restart it. If this works well (and doesn't introduce any overheads) then I guess I'm not that bothered about my torrents restarting every now and again.
by Kilamite » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 pm
So I got monit set up to restart the transmission-daemon each time it crashes (checks to see if the transmission-daemon is running every minute and if it isn't, it restarts it).

Pretty much a duct-tape solution, but it keeps everything working and the torrents are corrupt free (so far). The maximum downtime of the transmission-daemon is a minute (assuming restart time is 1-3 seconds), though you could lower that in monit's settings to check the daemon in seconds.
by Furyio » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:50 pm
I have my RaspberryPi setup not with torrents, but with NZBs .

I have Sickbeard running perfectly and it snatches a new episode of my TV show from the various NZB index sites, and then forwards it to SabNZBD to download (also working eprfectly).

The problems arise after a short period of downloading.

It appears that the download just freezes. The PI doesn't crash, it just doesnt really push through at any decent speeds. It goes from a really nice 6-10mb a sec dl to 0 and just sits there.

The SD card has plenty of room, but I have the setup as follows currently( for a full run)

a) Sickbeard pulls the TV show and snatches the NZB file and forwards to SAB
b) SAB starts the download
c) When download is complete, sickbeard script runs to process the file, and move it correctly to my NAS ( configured fine and working)
d) SAB deletes the remaining files/folders after the post-processing is complete.

But I guess I'm hitting snags with the downloads loosing their speed until they just sit there. I've assumed that maybe the problem is the write speed to the SD card is not fast enough. I can hookup a USB HDD and have the file temporaliy downloaded there until post processing.

anyone had any success with getting the above working as such?
Raspberry Pi Debian Squeeze
IRC channels : #raspi.ie #d3.ie #att #airsofter.ie
by guisacouto » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:23 pm
@Furyio

I think your problem is something different Furyio, so you should open a new thread. Things can get a bit messy when we start mixing different stuff.

In this case (torrent related), when the torrent stops, everything stops.. its a kernel panic so it's different from what you are experiencing.

best regards
by Furyio » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:13 pm
Thats fair enough,

Thanks,
Raspberry Pi Debian Squeeze
IRC channels : #raspi.ie #d3.ie #att #airsofter.ie
by dentex » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:38 pm
Hi everyone,
I was searching the forum because I have the same problem.
My pi now is frozen and away from here, so I cannot check, but with a WDTV device I have, I resolved the same issue just limiting the total download rate to something slightly below the full bandwidth available.
Developer of
YouTube Downloader for Android:
http://dentex.github.io/apps/youtubedownloader/
Twitter: @twidentex
by jotajotaramirez » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 pm
Hi guys,

I've got same "smsc95xx drop" problems using raspbmc RC2 and with raspbmc RC3 is nearly solved. I don't know what Sam Nazarko did (he is the raspbmc creator), but transmission is keeping alive with 500KB download limit. From time to time (much less with RC3) raspberry seems to be unresponsive, but it "defreezes" itself after some seconds.

Hope it helps.
by Caótico Fanegas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:13 am
Hi jotajotaramirez, do you have any max connections limit set? I've updated the firmware using rpi-update on raspbian and i've found a slight improvement, but nothing conclusive yet.

I'm trying to find a configuration which would keep my Pi alive for 48 hours straight, but no luck by now.
by jotajotaramirez » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:30 pm
Caótico Fanegas wrote:Hi jotajotaramirez, do you have any max connections limit set? I've updated the firmware using rpi-update on raspbian and i've found a slight improvement, but nothing conclusive yet.

I'm trying to find a configuration which would keep my Pi alive for 48 hours straight, but no luck by now.

You are right. I've limited number of peers, but since it's currently working very well, I want to try default configuration. This is my settings.json file:
{
    "alt-speed-down": 50,
    "alt-speed-enabled": false,
    "alt-speed-time-begin": 540,
    "alt-speed-time-day": 127,
    "alt-speed-time-enabled": false,
    "alt-speed-time-end": 1020,
    "alt-speed-up": 5,
    "bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0",
    "bind-address-ipv6": "::",
    "blocklist-enabled": false,
    "dht-enabled": true,
    "download-dir": "/media/usb2/transmission",
    "download-limit": 100,
    "download-limit-enabled": 0,
    "encryption": 1,
    "incomplete-dir": "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/downloads",
    "incomplete-dir-enabled": true,
    "lazy-bitfield-enabled": true,
    "lpd-enabled": false,
    "max-peers-global": 200,
    "message-level": 2,
    "open-file-limit": 15,
    "peer-limit-global": 50,
    "peer-limit-per-torrent": 10,
    "peer-port": 51413,
    "peer-port-random-high": 65535,
    "peer-port-random-low": 49152,
    "peer-port-random-on-start": false,
    "peer-socket-tos": 0,
    "pex-enabled": true,
    "port-forwarding-enabled": false,
    "preallocation": 1,
    "proxy": "",
    "proxy-auth-enabled": false,
    "proxy-auth-password": "",
    "proxy-auth-username": "",
    "proxy-enabled": false,
    "proxy-port": 80,
    "proxy-type": 0,
    "ratio-limit": 2.0000,
    "ratio-limit-enabled": false,
    "rename-partial-files": true,
    "rpc-authentication-required": true,
    "rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",
    "rpc-enabled": true,
    "rpc-password": "xxx",
    "rpc-port": 9091,
    "rpc-username": "xxx",
    "rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1",
    "rpc-whitelist-enabled": false,
    "script-torrent-done-enabled": false,
    "script-torrent-done-filename": "",
    "speed-limit-down": 500,
    "speed-limit-up": 30,
    "speed-limit-up-enabled": true,
    "start-added-torrents": true,
    "trash-original-torrent-files": false,
    "umask": 18,
    "upload-limit": 100,
    "upload-limit-enabled": 0,
    "upload-slots-per-torrent": 3,
    "watch-dir": "/home/pi/torrents",
    "watch-dir-enabled": true
}

by guisacouto » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:02 am
Limiting peers won't solve the problem. I haven't limit it on the configurations, but I've seen my pi crash loads of times with just 3 peers...
by errikos » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:35 pm
So anyone has found a way/workaround this issue? I get freezes even when I am downloading @ 100KB/s... it is extremely annoying. On the other hand, samba transfers ~2MB/sec work very stable... It is so weird...
by alexjj » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:52 pm
Ok so I've been using the beta wheezy Debian build and so far torrenting has been okay...

Been using deluge and the web gui. Just followed this guide to set it up.

Managed to download the Archlinux image from RPi site with no issues.

The webui seems to disconnect me very quickly but refreshing the page brings me back and more importantly the torrent continues to work.

Sits at about 25% CPU and 105MB of RAM with deluge daemon, viewing the webUI and having tightvncserver running.

Drops to 18% with no webUI being viewed.