slow streaming on VPN using 3G time-outs with wireless

3 posts
by Liquidant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:58 pm
So from the title I guess you can see what I'm doing.

I got the VPN working fine with the help of a few guides on here and other places.

I set up the Samba shares as per the Linux Format RPi magazine special.

I set up 2 accounts on the RPi for my self and my friend.

both accounts have RPi access, VPN access and Samba access

I can now connect in to my RPi VPN and stream the movies I have stored on my 2TB HDD.
why do I want to do this??? I drive a truck so it's nice to have access to my personal library when I'm sat waiting.

THE PROBLEMS

1. Over 3g (IPhone 4s and 5) I am having trouble getting the movies to stream

2. I set my friend up with a VPN and Samaba account but once he is connected to the VPN he gets a timeout when connecting to the samba share over his wireless (IPhone 5), it connects ok over 3G but then problem 1 kicks in)

I'm currently using 100mb virgin fibre optic so I have a very nice reliable 10mb upload speed and I have 3 internet access on my IPhone so i'm not restricted by data limits.

any pushes in the right direction would be great :)
by ghans » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:44 pm
You're using Samba and a VPN.
This is little bit too much for the the Pi IMHO.
Perhaps using NFS can help. Or overclocking.
The external disk is ext-formatted , isn't it ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Liquidant » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:57 am
Thanks for the tip ill have a look into nfs. I've had it streaming films to my iPhone over my friends wireless and it seems to be doing ok. Just my friend seems to get a timed out message when he logs in using the file explorer app in iPhone.

I've overclocked it and I have some copper heat sinks in place.

And yes my external drive is ext formatted.