Server Setup

6 posts
by ally_uk » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:07 pm
Hey there guys basically Need help with Debian

I am a noob I am not a programmer and I am coming from a Windows world.

The initial goals I have are

Samba server sharing data to Windows machine I also want to learn about how to secure shares and create users who can access shares.

Torrent server having the ability to download torrents and serve them up via the samba shares.

Some kind of media streaming to both PS3 and Windows 7 PC

FTP what is the best FTP service to use? I need a guide that explains how to set it up how to secure and how to create users and shares.

Some easy method of backing up my samba shares

If somebody has done something similar or can point me in the direction of noob friendly guides that would be most helpful like I said before I am not a programmer or a command line genius I just want clear concise steps to get stuff configured and working

Or is this to much to ask? :)
by ally_uk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:08 pm
Can anybody shed some light? :)
by ghans » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:23 pm
Try WinSCP for a start. You don't need to setup
anything on the Pi , just connect it to the same network
as the PC and then enter the Pi's IP Adress , and default
username and password.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by tonyhughes » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:12 pm
Baked Raspberry Pi Mod will get much of this installed and working with no geekery needed.

It's in Beta, and not everything is flawless.

Still working on the next version which has a bunch (dozens) of bugfixes and improvements.
Baked Linux Mod http://www.geek101.co.nz/bakedlinuxmod

Easy install of Drupal, Wordpress, RazorCMS, Chyrp, Apache, Nginx, Lighttpd, firewall, Webmin, VNC, RDP, FTP servers, mailservers, MySQL, SQLite, Transmission and more...

tall.co.nz/webcam.jpg
by ally_uk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 pm
Sorry I didn't really make the original message clear I am looking at getting more into Linux in general with the intention of making a career change. I don't see how installing webmin and shortcuts would aid me in the enterprise environment GUI tools and Stuff like Zentyal and Webmin is often frowned at by Linux vets apparently you are not hardcore enough or something and everything should be configured through the cli.

So Does anyone have any decent easy to follow server setup guides all configured through the command line :)
by ghans » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 am
If you really want that , i'd start with a
bash tutorial , then some on APT package managment.
The rest can be simply googled like "Setup webserver on debian"
"Install Samba on Wheezy" etc.

I think practicising as autodidact is perhaps the most important
step on your way to become the ultimate neckbeard
Linux BOFH :lol: .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org